Will this be Indy 4 as directed by the "new" Spielberg?

"Thanks for letting me know about the ignore facility, I will be making use of this shortly."
Don't tease... *edit... Beat ya to it.... Do/say what you want. I no longer endure your presence.

"I find your attitude, your petty insults and your motives in here objectionable."
And that bothers me, not one iota....

"Caio"
Don't let the doorknob hit ya where evolution split ya...

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
When I originally started this thread I was concerned about Indy IV being too weighty, since in the years between the original trilogy and this film Spielberg became a "serious" film-maker.

But his Comic-Con presentation put my mind at ease when he said he's making the film for the fans and not for himself.

I'm with Matinee Idyll on this one - I find that a profoundly disturbing statement. Spielberg, for all his faults (and while I don't go as far as Clinton in my criticisms, which for me basically go to the fact that his work just doesn't excite me at this point in my life), has one of the best claims to artistry in filmmaking today. Yes, Indiana Jones is a genre film, but some of the most fascinating films that have been made are those that play with the tropes of a genre and elevate them to the status of art. The Western has seen this sort of development the most, with <I>The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence</I> as perhaps the greatest example there is. The genre isn't what's getting in the way of this film being something better than it could be. It seems to me that the combination of what sounds like the lesser remains of the Saucermen script along with cosmetic elements returning from Raiders. Do we really need to enshrine Marion as the love of Indy's life, especially considering the inauspicious start of their relationship, and do we really need to include an artifact that gives the story of the original film both <I>the</I> central place in Indy's life (Last Crusade, if anything, has a better claim on that) and reduces it to prelude to this film?

Making it for the fans? I never asked for that, Mr. Spielberg, and certainly not in this form. A film's not worth making unless the filmmakers are making it for themselves.

Vendetta08

ClintonHammond said:
"Thanks for letting me know about the ignore facility, I will be making use of this shortly."
Don't tease... *edit... Beat ya to it.... Do/say what you want. I no longer endure your presence.

"I find your attitude, your petty insults and your motives in here objectionable."
And that bothers me, not one iota....

"Caio"
Don't let the doorknob hit ya where evolution split ya...

What do you think about George Lucas?

"What do you think about George Lucas?"
George has done quite a bit to advance the science of movie making, and special effects... as a story teller, I'll let the carp fest that are the Star Wars prequels speak for themselves and for him....

No Ticket

If you ask me... and I know you didn't... but if you did.

I think the movie will open to an action sequence. But it won't be an Indiana Jones action sequence. It will be something involving Shia. I think he is going to steal something of "antiquity" ... an artifact of some kind that is related to the main plot, the mcguffin. Obviously he is a greaser punk kid so it would make some kind of sense, he probably won't know what the artifact/object even IS. Then he probably gets away with it and that drifts the plot back to Dr. Jones.

I think Indy will still be adventuring though. Why would he still have his hat, jacket, whip, gun outfit if he was done with it all? I think Shia will be out of place for what he got himself into and Indy will obviously have to save his butt. What would be funny is if Shia attended one of his classes or knew/liked a girl in one of them or something.

Why would Indy stop his adventuring? I know he is older but he is an archaeologist... and in his fantasy world that action stuff comes with the territory. He will probably be bitter about getting too old to do it anymore rather than anything else. I don't see him wanting to quit but being forced to by age. But what do I know. It's hard to say.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
I'm with Matinee Idyll on this one - I find that a profoundly disturbing statement. Spielberg, for all his faults (and while I don't go as far as Clinton in my criticisms, which for me basically go to the fact that his work just doesn't excite me at this point in my life), has one of the best claims to artistry in filmmaking today. Yes, Indiana Jones is a genre film, but some of the most fascinating films that have been made are those that play with the tropes of a genre and elevate them to the status of art. The Western has seen this sort of development the most, with <I>The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence</I> as perhaps the greatest example there is. The genre isn't what's getting in the way of this film being something better than it could be. It seems to me that the combination of what sounds like the lesser remains of the Saucermen script along with cosmetic elements returning from Raiders. Do we really need to enshrine Marion as the love of Indy's life, especially considering the inauspicious start of their relationship, and do we really need to include an artifact that gives the story of the original film both <I>the</I> central place in Indy's life (Last Crusade, if anything, has a better claim on that) and reduces it to prelude to this film?

Making it for the fans? I never asked for that, Mr. Spielberg, and certainly not in this form. A film's not worth making unless the filmmakers are making it for themselves.

You're right. I retract.

I totally agree that the Ark really shouldn't have any involvement in this film also.

"the Ark really shouldn't have any involvement in this film"
+1

Even as an aside, we already got that joke once.... twice would be verra lame indeed....

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"the Ark really shouldn't have any involvement in this film"
+1

Even as an aside, we already got that joke once.... twice would be verra lame indeed....

The joke in Last Crusade was okay I thought. It was just a funny little nod to the audience. Just as long as its not involved in the plot.

Indie House

Indy1986 said:
In my opionion Indiana Jones 4 should stay on the same level of sophistication as in the old movies. If Indiana Jones would become "too wise" and too sapient in the 4th movie it would kinda not fit into the last parts.

Indiana Jones fits a particular generation, not necessarily a particular age bracket. I would like to see a film that has matured a little with it's fan base. That's not to say it can't be adventurous and fun...

...Look what happened with Jar Jar Binks. When questiond on the decision of this character Lucas was quick to remind us all that Star Wars was a 'kids' movie. I personally would have loved a more adult trilogy akin to The Empire Strikes Back.

:hat:

Vendetta08

NOOOOOOOOZ!!!!

This is Indiana Jones not The Adventures of Matt Jones. The opening sequence must be an action scene with Indy as the main focus, it's been like that for all of the past films, changing that now would only make Indy 4 see even further away from the others.

jeshopk

Let's hope Indy gets time away from his friends. The best scenes in Raiders are Indy alone on screen with JW music and no dialogue.

Professor Jones

AL_Patterson said:
NOOOOOOOOZ!!!!

This is Indiana Jones not The Adventures of Matt Jones. The opening sequence must be an action scene with Indy as the main focus, it's been like that for all of the past films, changing that now would only make Indy 4 see even further away from the others.

Yeah, I agree.. Would be wrong to start the movie with Shia... Besides I don't think that Spielberg would introduce the character to the audience so suddenly. I think he'll pop up later, maybe during the "university part" of the movie. If you think about that, in every movie the main elements and characters are introduced (whether directly or not) in the "briefing scene"... (the top men encharging Indy with the Ark quest: we know from that scene about Abner, about the Ark, about the enemies and so on...; the village scene in Temple: we know about the stones, the temple itself, the marahjah and the thugges; the donovan-home scene, we know Donovan, we know about the artifact and about the fact that Indy'll meet his father in the movie - previously he just sneaked after the action sequence: but we just saw his hand!).

So I believe that the opening sequence will see, once again, Indy as protagonist... besides, that would be the only roboant and roaring wat to burst on a sequel waited for 20 years.

I bet that each of us wait with trepidation the first sequence, just because we know that's when Indy'll appear again... I can't wait to learn how Spielberg has conceived the way in which he'll make Indy do his first reappearing!! I would be pretty disappointed if the first minutes of the movie show us... just SHIA!!!

Zorg

Professor Jones said:
I bet that each of us wait with trepidation the first sequence, just because we know that's when Indy'll appear again... I can't wait to learn how Spielberg has conceived the way in which he'll make Indy do his first reappearing!!

Yeah. All the previous films have had pretty cool "introductions" of Indy (I like even LC's "straight to action" -kind of approach, even though Raiders is simply the best one, being the first).

I'm sure they have something clever in store for us.

Uhm... when this thread started it was focused on Spielberg's new style of directing and now we're discussing about the opening sequence. LOL. I think we're a little off topic now... :p

Anyway... I think this new movie will be directed with the other three in mind, so it won't be so different. As far as I know, George Lucas spend a lot of his time on the set, together with Spielberg. So I think he would suggest to him his own opinions too.
It's still a pop corn movie, you know? (y)

And, regarding the opening scene... I don't know but I kind of feel it will be the chase sequence they filmed in New Haven.

Junior Jones

I re-watched E.T. with my kids last week, and I just hope that the "new" Spielberg doesn't arm Indy with a Smith & Wesson walkie-talkie.