Is Indy more then just a character?

DocWhiskey

I've been wanting to post this, hopefully you guys won't laugh it off.

Like most of you, I've been a die hard Indiana Jones fan my whole life. I was introduced to him through my grandmother's old VHS tapes in '92. Since then I was addicted.

I'm making this thread to see if any of you have a more emotional attachment to the character other then just liking the movies. How you were introduced to him and what it means to you to have had been.

For example:
I know you don't want to hear my troubles, but the idea for this thread came a week back or so. The past 10 months or so have been really hard on me. My Uncle (who was like a father to me) passed away a few months back from pneumonia, followed by my Aunt a few months later. My dog had a stroke and passed away in my arms a few weeks back at the age of 19. One of my best childhood friends has a heart problem and has been rushed into the emergency room a few weeks back, and my grandfather had a mini stroke and is currently in the hospital. Not to mention student loans from college piling up endlessly. I know these things happen, but all of it happened so fast and close to each other, it was like an emotional overload.

A few nights back I came home from seeing my grandfather at the hospital, and I realized for once, that I actually had a free night. So I sat at my computer and tried to just forget all this...even for just a few moments. I checked my e-mail and a friend of mine sent me a link to cheer me up. It was a simple movie compilation of Indiana Jones played to his classic score. I sat there and for the first time in a long time, began to smile. Seeing Indy made me so happy, that, well, I started to cry. Indy took me away for a while and made me forget reality...even if it was just for a few minutes.

Even now when I see the ads for the new film on television, I can't help but smile.

So, like I said earlier, I'm making this thread to see if any of you have a more emotional attachment to the character other then just liking the movies. How you were introduced to him and what it means to you to have had been.

(BTW here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnuH1tJdMM)

The Adventurer

Keep your chin up, Is hard to give advices, because your problems are of personal issue, and only someone who have this kind of losses can give advices, but in what concerns Indy, yes, is more than a character, is a kind of mirror (not reflected reversed) of what we want to dream to be, or our hero who inspired in some choices or the way we act....I?ve said that on other threads, this make me dream with open eyes. Also is hard to explain all my feelings in words, but for sure Indiana Jones is more than a character or a actor to me...and is true when I watch the movies I detach from current thoughts of life, not like a refuge but like a refilling potion.

Hedwig

I don't know any couraging words, and the ones that would give complete courage in life and take all the bad things away, don't probably even exist. But I hope you'll be alright in the end, despite all the bad things that has happened to you...
To me, Indiana Jones seems to be more than a character. I can't explain it in English, but he is something... I feel frustrated, that I don't know and I can't find the words that I'm looking for. When I watch the movies, I kind of "escape" from all the every-day problems: I don't think of the bullies or anything I worry about. When the movie ends, I still find myself smiling...

jtobin13

codolenced from indy 4 actor

Hi Doc ive been pretty quite about my role in indy 4 but if it mkes you feel better it was an exciting three days in August...ill be happy to tell you about those days on may 25th whn i return from mexico.....youll all see the scene before me..tnswman and mitch hallock will phone me if i made the cut!!
it was great meeting Steven again (amistad) as well as mutt and indy and Karen,jt

tupogirl

*hugs* I've been there many times. I just watched LC for the first time in years and it soothed a bit of a sore spot in me. I haven't watched it since my mother died suddenly when I was 19. And I have the intellectual, distant father who I am finally close to again, realizing that he shows love in a very different way. I actually taught my Bible study using it, marveling at those scary leaps of faith we sometimes have to take!

Last year, I got a medical diagnosis that was hard to deal with (but has turned into a strange blessing!), my uncle died unexpectedly - the same way my mother and their mother did (aged 55, 44, and 45), the shootings at VA Tech, where my parents met and lived in their first year of marriage, and the loss of 2 dogs... Indy was my comfort/hiding zone from some rough real life in high school and it became that way again last year.

So yes, I completely understand what you are saying! Things have finally taken an upswing for us, first time really in 10 years. I'm so used to so much bad news, it's a bit of an odd feeling.

If you ever need to talk, please feel free to drop me a note! Take care.

jonesissparrow

DocWhiskey said:
I've been wanting to post this, hopefully you guys won't laugh it off.

Like most of you, I've been a die hard Indiana Jones fan my whole life. I was introduced to him through my grandmother's old VHS tapes in '92. Since then I was addicted.

I'm making this thread to see if any of you have a more emotional attachment to the character other then just liking the movies. How you were introduced to him and what it means to you to have had been.

For example:
I know you don't want to hear my troubles, but the idea for this thread came a week back or so. The past 10 months or so have been really hard on me. My Uncle (who was like a father to me) passed away a few months back from pneumonia, followed by my Aunt a few months later. My dog had a stroke and passed away in my arms a few weeks back at the age of 19. One of my best childhood friends has a heart problem and has been rushed into the emergency room a few weeks back, and my grandfather had a mini stroke and is currently in the hospital. Not to mention student loans from college piling up endlessly. I know these things happen, but all of it happened so fast and close to each other, it was like an emotional overload.

A few nights back I came home from seeing my grandfather at the hospital, and I realized for once, that I actually had a free night. So I sat at my computer and tried to just forget all this...even for just a few moments. I checked my e-mail and a friend of mine sent me a link to cheer me up. It was a simple movie compilation of Indiana Jones played to his classic score. I sat there and for the first time in a long time, began to smile. Seeing Indy made me so happy, that, well, I started to cry. Indy took me away for a while and made me forget reality...even if it was just for a few minutes.

Even now when I see the ads for the new film on television, I can't help but smile.

So, like I said earlier, I'm making this thread to see if any of you have a more emotional attachment to the character other then just liking the movies. How you were introduced to him and what it means to you to have had been.

(BTW here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnuH1tJdMM)

I understand how you feel. You know its easy for everyone else to say I'm the only in this world who has problems until you meet another person who has problems and your problems don't seem as a mega as you thought it was. Yes you know the movie that really made me feel that Indiana was more than a character was LC because you can see he is despite many thing a boyscout at heart and you can see many pains and emotions going across his face whether its berating his father or hating Ilsa's decision moved me immensely. And I am not ashamed to admit it I almost cry everytime Henry Sr. says, "Indiana, let it go" and Indy gives him a look of pure love for his father at that moment.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hO-3YcXfpjk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hO-3YcXfpjk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If you like the other montage, DocWhiskey, your gonna love this one. I think this is the best tribute to the man himself.

Just to get off subject here, DocWhiskey, but I have the same thing only its not about Indiana (unfortunately). I have been having problems with finding employment and I didn't register for school this semester so I have been feeling pretty down as of late and extremely lonely. There was two things that made me feel better:One was watching Ben- Hur and this was 4 days after Charleston Heston (god rest his soul) and I cried at the end and I felt that Ben - Hur was more than a character as he was a reflection of how I felt;

hossein-BenHur.jpg

movrf28.gif

Second I have fell in love with the beautiful girl I've seen in a long time and she is...(do not judge me till you hear me out):eek: a cartoon character...not only a cartoon but an animal, but she is so beautiful its hard not to love her. And ever since then I feel a bit more happy with myself than I did 3 months ago and truly feel like I am in love. I watched the Pogo special Birthday special on Youtube and I watched the second part right and I was taken aback so much on what I saw! First I hear a sultry June Foray in a french accent and then when I saw Hezpibah I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO flabergasted what I saw she was SO beautiful and started having hotflashes, I swear, and I felt like Pogo at that moment, I think I was breathing hard when he started hitting on and kissing Pogo. Then he says why was he cursed with good looks and I was thinking boy you thank your stars you have George Clooney looks.
In some moments of the second part in closeup shots of Heztibah she started looking like Marylin Monroe the only thing missing with the signature mole on her cheek. I swear I haven't felt this way for a cartoon female character since Jessica Rabbit and Snow White and they were for two seperate reasons! You know its not a X rated feeling I have for the french skunk its more G rated more than anything and in some reasons she reminded me of my first crushes on a girl I had when I was in the 5th grade. You know I have never heard of Pogo much untill I read about it in a book and I what read about it seemed to be the Boodocks of the day. Walter Kelly (R.I.P.) was a ***** because he didn't like Chuck Jones's interpretation of Heztibah, I'm telling you what Chuck Jones's interpreatation was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY (I cannot emphasized the way much more lightly!) sexier than the original drawings of her in the comics. The ironic thing about this crush is that I have an autograph from the woman herself (June Foray, whom in my mind was the female version of Mel Blanc) and she was so nice and she answered question and everything and she did a fabulous job of Heztibah whom I thought was something she has done before, acting sexy she usually did sterotypicl witches (witch Hazel), sappy girls (Nell), or boys (Rocky) so this was something I was not accustomed to. I tell you if I was animated I go to the woods more often! Since then I made little tributes of her. So Docwhiskey I know what you are coming from.;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpiauiNCvK4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpiauiNCvK4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Nurhachi1991

I'm sorry to hear all that Doc

and yes to me Indiana Jones is way more than a character for me I have been a fan since 5 years old and Indy has had a major impact on my life yeah i know its weird but i almost view Indy as a family member

The_Raiders

Sorry to hear that man :( Yeah I know how you feel, it's pretty geeky, but I acually view Indy as a father figure and someone I look up to considering I don't have a father figure now to look up too. So that's how I feel twords the charactor, he's independent, and self relient, and when things in my life are getting tough, I can just pop in the movie and it takes me away for a while :sleep:

DocWhiskey

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your kind words and experiences. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that shares a special bond with Indy and his adventures.

The_Raiders

DocWhiskey said:
Thank you EVERYONE for all of your kind words and experiences. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that shares a special bond with Indy and his adventures.

Yeah man, hope things shape up for you :hat:

Lord_glavin

well i see Indy and his adventures as more of an inspiration as to what there is in this world, excitiment, adventure and a lot to look forward to.

basically the movies got me out, seeing the world and making adventures of my own, meeting new people and taking the long way around.

oh, and to watch out for my fedora