Which film is KOTCS most like to you?

Which film did KOTCS remind you of the most?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Votes: 36 63.2%

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

sandiegojones said:
TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it.

This is very true. I don't know if it's that much of a stretch to say that Temple of Doom was critically lambasted when it first came out. You have to find the reviews that were written in 1984, not the reviews by fans twenty years later online that you'll find on Rotten Tomatoes. Go to the library and find the newspaper reviews. Ebert's four star review (a review I really love) was definitely more of an exception than a rule, though I know Pauline Kael liked it a lot too. (But, she's also Pauline Kaul. She didn't like Raiders.)

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Well, to be fair, the RT fan rating has Temple at 92% with Skull at 65%. Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...
Sure, but nostalgia plays into it. Like I stated before, I know people who hated TOD and then like to pretend they loved once KOTCS came out.

Ajax the Great

Wow...tough question. KotCS definitely follows a vein of its own, so it's impossible to group it with another film. Plus, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be grouped with the others, since it is based off of 50s B movies, not 30s Republic serials.

But, I did vote for LC because of the innumerable father-son parallels drawn between Indy and Mutt's relationship and Indy and his father's relationship. For instance, the motorcycle chase, which ends with Indy scowling at Mutt reminds me so much of Henry Sr.'s face throughout the LC motorcycle chase - utter disgust and contempt.