Raiders of the Lost Ark on TV from the 90's or 80's

InVader

Does anyone happen to have an old TV recording of Raiders of the Lost Ark from the 90's or before? It seems that those versions always had Indy say something like, "Did they think I was dumb?" as he's jamming his whip under the truck before getting dragged behind it. I wanted to see if someone could verify what it was exactly that he said, and maybe post the clip if possible.

Stoo

InVader, its funny that you mention it because I've been WANTING TO DISCUSS THIS FOR A LONG TIME in order to add the version to my own collection and (in more recent days) ultimately for Jamie Benning's project.(y)

If anyone here at The Raven has a VHS recording of a late '80s/early '90s TV broadcast, they are most likely a lurker (because the general movie crowd seems to know nothing about it.)

The question is, did Indy say:

"Did they think I was dumb?" / "What, did they think I was dumb?"
OR
"Do they think I'm stupid?" / "What, do they think I'm stupid?"

Where is this one coming from? Do we have a source?

Is it memory?;)

Some more context is needed.

Did you here someone mocking the notion in the room while you watched it?

Do you think it's a reference to the red mark on the chasis indicating the spot to anchor the whip?

:confused:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

Is it memory?;)

Some more context is needed.

Did you here someone mocking the notion in the room while you watched it?

Do you think it's a reference to the red mark on the chasis indicating the spot to anchor the whip?

:confused:

You forgot to ask whether there was a history of mental stability in the family. ;)

However, Michael24 remembered when this came up before.

This might turn out to be another one of those wild chicken chases. ;)

Stoo

InVader said:
My parents used to have a copy, but it recently got thrown away to my great dismay. :(
That's too bad, InVader.:( Unfortunately, I rarely watched "Raiders" on TV in those days because I owned the commercial VHS release. All my old tapes are in storage so if I did record a broadcast back then, I'd still have it.
Rocket Surgeon said:
InVader brought it up 3 years ago and someone else supposedly mentioned it in c.2002.

See the thread Special Edition Truck Chase posts #151-156. Here is a post from there replying to InVader:
Michael24 said:
YES!!! I had always noticed that!

Back in the '90s whenever I saw Raiders on TV, I always heard that line added, though I think he actually said "What, do they think I'm stupid?" as he jams the whip handle into the undercarriage. And it sounded like Harrison Ford, so it must have been an ADR line that was later dumped from the film but then put back for the TV version. Another addition to that scene is the sound of breaking glass when the big German swings down through the driver's-side door, which is funny because the window was open already! But it was the same breaking glass sound effect heard from when Indy's thrown through the windshield moments later.

However, both of these added elements have since disappeared. I haven't heard them in any TV airings since the late-90s.
P.S. Montana Smiffy beat me to the punch!:p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
P.S. Montana Smiffy beat me to the punch!:p

I've been taking lessons from the thread master!

I wish I could add something constructive, but there's no way I could remember whether that line was ever on TV. What I can say is that Googling the lines accompanied by "Raiders" doesn't bring up anything useful.

The Drifter

Hmmmm, I wonder if this line was in all of the television versions back then or if it was only in airings on certain stations?

InVader

It's the whole reason my brother and I would watch our TV version. We'd wait for it whenever it played on TV too. We started to notice that it began to disappear from tv airings sometime in the late 90's. As for certain stations using it, i've no idea.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I've been taking lessons from the thread master!
Who dat?:p
Montana Smith said:
You forgot to ask whether there was a history of mental stability in the family.;)

This might turn out to be another one of those wild chicken chases.;)
Keep in mind, Smiff, just because one hasn't seen/heard something doesn't mean it never existed.:whip:
The Drifter said:
Hmmmm, I wonder if this line was in all of the television versions back then or if it was only in airings on certain stations?
It's possible that this was a version only shown on certain stations. As an example: In the '80s, a local TV station in Montreal would air a version of "Excalibur" (also from 1981) which had extra, additional dialogue that was not in the theatrical release nor on the VHS release. (At least I managed to record that!) I can recall watching "Excalibur" on an American TV network (either ABC, NBC or CBS) and the extra bits were not there.

InVader

Stoo said:
In the '80s, a local TV station in Montreal would air a version of "Excalibur" (also from 1981) which had extra, additional dialogue that was not in the theatrical release nor on the VHS release. (At least I managed to record that!) I can recall watching "Excalibur" on an American TV network (either ABC, NBC or CBS) and the extra bits were not there.

What was the bit on Excalibur? I've never seen the movie before, but I believe we've still got a copy of that from the 80's. I'll check to see if it has the added dialogue. If you can tell me what it is, than I can help verify if it might've been a time period addition or network addition.

InVader

Stoo, I do indeed have a recording of Excalibur from the mid 80's. What was the addition? I may be able to help verify if it might've been a network addition.

emtiem said:
Why would he say that? As a joke I don't really get it.
While the concept of the egg is strange, and the explanation is not all that intuitive...I can't imagine a reason for the line at all.

Indy has ZERO dialog in the truck chase...he's a veritable Lego character "speaking" in grunts and groans.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
While the concept of the egg is strange, and the explanation is not all that intuitive...I can't imagine a reason for the line at all.

Indy has ZERO dialog in the truck chase...he's a veritable Lego character "speaking" in grunts and groans.

Yeah it's baffling; even if he was wiskcrackin' all the way through it I have no idea why he'd think they were trying to trick him, which is the circumstance you'd usually say that phrase in.

paraiderfan

TV recordings of Raiders

Hi Guys,

I have several recordings of Raiders from a few TV stations. I have just recently acquired, thanks to another Indy fan, a copy of the first airing on ABC, and I believe one from the Sci Fi channel and another copy I believe from another station, but not sure if it's USA or not. Now the one copy I have I am sure the audio is slightly different when Indy drops the pole into the map room, and when he goes flying through the windshield in the chase scene. The audio is definately different when the pole hits the ground and the breaking of the windshield. I can go through and check to see if he says anything when he is under the truck. I don't remember hearing anything, but it has been a while since I've watched the clips. I wll pop them into the DVD player and see if I can hear anything.

paraiderfan

Raiders on TV "Do they think I'm dumb?"

OK-here is your answer. I just popped in a copy of Raiders that I recorded on Fox from the 90's I believe. And sure enough, you guys are right. When Indy is under the truck and locking his whip to it, he says, "Do they think I'm dumb?" Very clear. You guys are good. I never caught that.

Henry W Jones

paraiderfan said:
OK-here is your answer. I just popped in a copy of Raiders that I recorded on Fox from the 90's I believe. And sure enough, you guys are right. When Indy is under the truck and locking his whip to it, he says, "Do they think I'm dumb?" Very clear. You guys are good. I never caught that.

That's an interesting tid-bit. But I do agree with emtiem and Rocket Surgeon that it isn't very fitting for the scene. Very strange. Thanks for finding that paraiderfan. Can you post a clip?

paraiderfan

Sound clip

I can work on it tomorrow if that is OK with everyone. Now I can edit the clip for it, but to be honest, I'm not sure how to post it. Little help everyone.