TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #201
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
Rob tried to get the project off the ground last year but Lucasfilm wouldn't allow it, citing production cost without a movie to generate profit. Of course, such paltry considerations never deterred the endless torrent of Star Wars merchandise released in the absence of a feature film (TV series aside), so unless Indy 5 happens, don't hold your breath for an Indiana Jones literary revival.

The argument would then be that Star Wars is way more popular than Indy and I guess SW fanboys always seem to have more cash to splash than Indyfans. We tend to be a smaller and more conservative lot, much like the good professor himself. Also count in the many new versions of the original trilogy and releases on various formats. And Star Wars is as Steve Sansweet once put it more "toyetic" than Indy.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for Indy 5 either. More likely hold your breath for someone to eventually break this out on the net, much like the rejected Indy 4 scripts (still waiting on the Jeff Boam one!).

I'd also argue that one Indy game adaption is a little loss (for Lucasfilm) to take considering they never released "Army of the Dead" in Australia.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #202
whipwarrior
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 63
If you haven't read Army of the Dead, trust me you're not missing anything. The book was absolutely terrible. Steve Perry is an excellent writer in the Star Wars galaxy, but his style doesn't lend itself to the pulp adventure genre handled so effortlessly by Rob MacGregor and Max McCoy.
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #203
LawgSkrak
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 114
Opposite viewpoint, I liked Army of the Dead. Not nearly as bad as everyone on here makes it out to be.
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #204
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Has there been any further word on this? I know we've been waiting like three years now for this possibility, but maybe with Disney getting ownership of Lucasfilm there might be "a new hope" for "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" to get released as a novel? Of course, I'd also love to have a PC port of the game for that matter, but that is probably even more unlikely...
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #205
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
And in regards to "Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead", I tried to read that a while back. I got maybe 1/3 of the way in or so and eventually gave up...The book gets into some supernatural stuff with voodoo that gets a bit too freaky for me. The writing isn't all that bad- I mean, Steve Perry is a good writer in his own right. But I can understand some fans' complaints about it just not quite matching up to Rob MacGregor's style or Max McCoy's or even Martin Caidin's. (For the record, I have read all 12 of their Indiana Jones books.)
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #206
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
...we've been waiting like three years now for this possibility...
I think you're going to have to take matters into your own hands if you really care about it.

Please let us know how you do.

Good luck.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #207
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
I suppose it does seem to be something of a lost cause...
but it's still kinda maddening that Rob MacGregor has an entire Indiana Jones novel just sitting somewhere that can't be released to the fans to read as it hasn't been published. (And it's not like he's going to give it away for free.) Though if he would, perhaps an E-book would be a possibility.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #208
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
I suppose it does seem to be something of a lost cause...
So you're NOT going to do ANYTHING about it?!

Not very Indy-like.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #209
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Hey- I didn't say that.
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again, just to see if anything's changed on this.
We'll see... "I don't know- I'm making this up as I go."
Better get cracking.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #210
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
Hey- I didn't say that.
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again, just to see if anything's changed on this.
We'll see... "I don't know- I'm making this up as I go."
Better get cracking.


Just remember who would have the Ark if Indy never went back to The Raven.

Got to be tenacious, and you can always enjoy the idea that if it weren't for you...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #211
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Well said, Rocket Surgeon.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #212
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great! Hopefully some day soon we can enjoy seeing this book with that cover on the shelves! (or at least on a Kindle.)
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #213
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great! Hopefully some day soon we can enjoy seeing this book with that cover on the shelves! (or at least on a Kindle.)

Hmmm, sounds like you're resigning from the effort! Come on laddie, get on the stick!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #214
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
...maybe with Disney getting ownership of Lucasfilm there might be "a new hope" for "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" to get released as a novel?
----
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again,...
---
By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great!
Indyfan82, forget about writing Disney. If you're going to bother contacting anybody, it should be the publisher, Del Rey Books. They are the folks reponsible for holding it back.

See Rocket's post #119, in this thread: Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

His post also includes the fantastic cover artwork.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #215
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Thanks for the info, Stoo. I contacted Disney in any case, but who knows if they'll even reply. I will try to check with Del Rey Books and see what they say.
And yes- that cover artwork is awesome!
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #216
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Okay- I have put in an inquiry to Del Rey Books- hopefully I will hear some sort of update soon.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #217
Toht's Arm
IndyFan
 
Toht's Arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 160
Just played Staff of Kings for the first time on PS2, and geez, talk about moments of greatness. (Emphasis on moments.) Such a slapdash plot that plonked Indy into a new locale regularly, with only some hidden text in a menu to explain what's going on. It's exactly the sort of thing that could have been wonderfully fleshed out in a novel. I guess ONE DAY it'll appear online in one form or another...
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #218
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Even an e-book release would be better than nothing. (Though I would prefer to have a physical copy of the book to sit with all the other Indy books I have.)
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #219
bennihana123
IndyFan
 
bennihana123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 342
Maybe now that Indy V is coming out in 2019 they'll have the money to release it as an ebook? I just want to read it!
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #220
Walecs
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennihana123
Maybe now that Indy V is coming out in 2019 they'll have the money to release it as an ebook? I just want to read it!

Me too. I just don't see why they won't sell it as an ebook.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #221
throwmetheidol
IndyFan
 
throwmetheidol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Prairies - Canada
Posts: 633
Lucasfilm was responsible for the book not being published. I am not at liberty to discuss. You would have to contact Rob MacGregor to see if he'd be willing to. The editor that was in charge back then is no longer at LFL (Sue Rostoni).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Indyfan82, forget about writing Disney. If you're going to bother contacting anybody, it should be the publisher, Del Rey Books. They are the folks reponsible for holding it back.

See Rocket's post #119, in this thread: Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

His post also includes the fantastic cover artwork.
throwmetheidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #222
Indymag
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwmetheidol
I am not at liberty to discuss.

Ooooh! Secrets!!

From Rob McGregor - Not sure why this would have been Lucasfilms fault even if Lucasarts put back the games schedule back a year...unless Les knows otherwise...

*Note Contract was with Bantam and Lucasfilm (DelRey is an imprint)

"Every so often I get an e-mail from someone asking if I wrote a novel called Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. As any avid Indy fan knows, that’s the name of the sixth version of the Indiana Jones computer game. There is no novel by that name. But there was supposed to be one. I know. I wrote it.

It rests on a shelf behind me in manuscript form. Had it been published, it would’ve been my eighth Indiana Jones novel.

The novel was written under contract, it was accepted for publication, and I was paid quite well for it. I was even flown out to LucasFilm in San Francisco to talk about the novel.

Everything seemed to be going quite well until the publisher literally forgot about it. The jargon phrases used for such a mistake go like this: ‘Someone dropped the ball.’ Or, ‘It fell through the crack in the floor.’ No, it wasn’t a ball, it wasn’t a crack. It was rigid thinking by the company execs, and an overworked editor.

You see, the publisher was fixated on the novel coming out the same time as the related computer game. The problem was that LucasFilm changed their game platform and that changed their schedule. No one told the publisher about it. Well, actually I did. A couple of avid Indy bloggers informed me of the changes, which I passed on to the editor. Unfortunately, the message never got through. The editor thought I had it wrong. Certainly, she would be informed on such matters, she implied.

Then the game came out just as the bloggers had said it would, but there was no book accompanying the release. The logical thing, it seemed to me, would be to rush the book into print. Nope. Somehow, the powers-that-be felt the book would not sell well unless it was released precisely at the time the game came out.

That’s what I call rigid thinking. Do people who buy and play computer games buy a related book? Maybe some do. But I think it’s a different audience. If you’re spending money on games, you’re probably not buying books.

So Del Rey lost money on the project, namely because no one ever had an opportunity to buy the book. An Indy fan wrote Howard Roffman, president of the Lucas Licensing, and asked what happened to the book. The response was forwarded to me. ‘Rob MacGregor missed the deadline.’

Oh, yeah? I wrote to Roffman and told him that Del Rey had the completed novel for more than a year before the game came out. He checked on it, wrote me back, and apologized.

From a writer’s point of view, it’s all part of the business. If you get a contract and get paid, what happens to the book is basically none of the writer’s business. It wasn’t the first time, I’d encountered a publisher who accepted my work, paid me, then failed to follow through. Years ago, Trish and I wrote for OMNI Magazine and they did the same thing. Repeatedly.

Of course, OMNI doesn’t exist any longer, and I’m thinking that many of the major publishers will fall through that ‘crack in the floor’ themselves…because someone ‘dropped the ball.’"
Indymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #223
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,449
I posted the extracted video game text, if anyone wants to read the story...

PS2: http://moedred.livejournal.com/13200.html

PSP: http://moedred.livejournal.com/2014/02/05
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #224
Indymag
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymag
Ooooh! Secrets!!

From Rob McGregor - Not sure why this would have been Lucasfilms fault even if Lucasarts put back the games schedule back a year...unless Les knows otherwise...

*Note Contract was with Bantam and Lucasfilm (DelRey is an imprint)

"Every so often I get an e-mail from someone asking if I wrote a novel called Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. As any avid Indy fan knows, that’s the name of the sixth version of the Indiana Jones computer game. There is no novel by that name. But there was supposed to be one. I know. I wrote it.

It rests on a shelf behind me in manuscript form. Had it been published, it would’ve been my eighth Indiana Jones novel.

The novel was written under contract, it was accepted for publication, and I was paid quite well for it. I was even flown out to LucasFilm in San Francisco to talk about the novel.

Everything seemed to be going quite well until the publisher literally forgot about it. The jargon phrases used for such a mistake go like this: ‘Someone dropped the ball.’ Or, ‘It fell through the crack in the floor.’ No, it wasn’t a ball, it wasn’t a crack. It was rigid thinking by the company execs, and an overworked editor.

You see, the publisher was fixated on the novel coming out the same time as the related computer game. The problem was that LucasFilm changed their game platform and that changed their schedule. No one told the publisher about it. Well, actually I did. A couple of avid Indy bloggers informed me of the changes, which I passed on to the editor. Unfortunately, the message never got through. The editor thought I had it wrong. Certainly, she would be informed on such matters, she implied.

Then the game came out just as the bloggers had said it would, but there was no book accompanying the release. The logical thing, it seemed to me, would be to rush the book into print. Nope. Somehow, the powers-that-be felt the book would not sell well unless it was released precisely at the time the game came out.

That’s what I call rigid thinking. Do people who buy and play computer games buy a related book? Maybe some do. But I think it’s a different audience. If you’re spending money on games, you’re probably not buying books.

So Del Rey lost money on the project, namely because no one ever had an opportunity to buy the book. An Indy fan wrote Howard Roffman, president of the Lucas Licensing, and asked what happened to the book. The response was forwarded to me. ‘Rob MacGregor missed the deadline.’

Oh, yeah? I wrote to Roffman and told him that Del Rey had the completed novel for more than a year before the game came out. He checked on it, wrote me back, and apologized.

From a writer’s point of view, it’s all part of the business. If you get a contract and get paid, what happens to the book is basically none of the writer’s business. It wasn’t the first time, I’d encountered a publisher who accepted my work, paid me, then failed to follow through. Years ago, Trish and I wrote for OMNI Magazine and they did the same thing. Repeatedly.

Of course, OMNI doesn’t exist any longer, and I’m thinking that many of the major publishers will fall through that ‘crack in the floor’ themselves…because someone ‘dropped the ball.’"

Alternatively, you can wait for the FULL story in issue 10 of INDYMAG! with our interview with Rob...yum, yum!!
Indymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #225
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 126
Nice to see some movement on this thread again. Even if it's in conjunction with the fifth Indiana Jones movie in 2019, I'd still love to read this book!
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.