Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #51
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Splitting hairs? Considering this is thread about Mutt's age, the detail was worth pointing out. The fact that you wrote he was 21 shows that you didn't bother reading the posts which discuss it (or even bothered to do the math yourself).

Or that I just don't keep details about characters I don't care much about in my mind. I could tell you what years Henry Sr and Henry Jr were born (1872 and 1899 respectively) and what year Henry Sr. died (1951), and most of the years of Indy's adventures from the novels and computer games, but I think I've made my general lack of care for Mutt clear. Fact is, I often thought Mutt was conceived during the Banthu Wind sequence in Raiders, which is sometime in 1936. If we go by the magazine that the Nazi spy is holding when Indy gets on the seaplane, it could even be November/December 1936 (and again, we don't know exactly how long the events of Raiders took place over). If Indy's adventure in Raiders spans a few weeks to a month or two, the Banthu Wind sequence could even be in early 1937.

So I guessed 20 and I guess mistakenly said 21 as well. Fact is outside of Ultimate Guides and stuff like that, we'll never know for certain. All these sources contradict themselves on dates and whatnot. If he's born July 1938 then he's 19. I don't know if any of the dates in sources such as the Ultimate Guide come from Lucas himself, or if they're just authorized fan speculation.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #52
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Or that I just don't keep details about characters I don't care much about in my mind.
It's not the only thing you don't keep in your mind, Doppelgänger.
Quote:
but I think I've made my general lack of care for Mutt clear.
On the contrary, if you didn't care for Mutt you wouldn't have created *at least* 6 threads about him.
Quote:
Fact is, I often thought Mutt was conceived during the Banthu Wind sequence in Raiders, which is sometime in 1936. If we go by the magazine that the Nazi spy is holding when Indy gets on the seaplane, it could even be November/December 1936 (and again, we don't know exactly how long the events of Raiders took place over). If Indy's adventure in Raiders spans a few weeks to a month or two, the Banthu Wind sequence could even be in early 1937.

So I guessed 20 and I guess mistakenly said 21 as well. Fact is outside of Ultimate Guides and stuff like that, we'll never know for certain. All these sources contradict themselves on dates and whatnot. If he's born July 1938 then he's 19. I don't know if any of the dates in sources such as the Ultimate Guide come from Lucas himself, or if they're just authorized fan speculation.
Using the dialogue in the movie (the diner scene and the back of the truck in the jungle), it's easy to figure out Mutt's approximate age and it's not 21. One doesn't need to rely on the "Ulitmate Guide" to know.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote