TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Video Games
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #51
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
The guy who did Indy's voice in Emperor's Tomb did a decent job. Just hire him back to do it again.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #52
EvilEmperorZoRG
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
The guy who did Indy's voice in Emperor's Tomb did a decent job. Just hire him back to do it again.

Same for Staff of Kings. But why not to give the job to the real Indy, Harrison Ford?
Why he doesn't want to? Sean Connery did an awesome job on the videogame From Russia With Love back in 2006. He was 76 I think!
EvilEmperorZoRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #53
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Better yet, use no voice at all, accept for grunts and yelling. Isaac Clarke, the main protagonist of the Dead Space games didn't utter a single word in the first game, and it didn't hurt it a bit. If anything, it made it easier to embody the character while playing. I.e, I know that I look and sound nothing like Ford, but those details could be easily over-looked with a Dead Space presentation, including the faceless over-the shoulder bit. Indy isn't really a talky enough guy to necessitate that much chit-chat. If anything, hearing him prattle on in ET and SOK, really takes away from the immersion. Not to mention how surprisingly difficult is is for visual artists of every stripe to really nail Ford's likeness, anyway.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #54
Olliana
IndyFan

That's an issue the Germans at least don't have to deal with. German voice actor Wolfgang Pampel dubs Harrison Ford in all of his movies since Star Wars AND in the video games since IJ and the Infernal Machine. And this adds so much to these games.
He was also on the spot when they hired him to narrate an all new text in the preview for the most recent tv screening of the Indy quadrilogy as 'Indy' himself. He's such a nice person and even was to meet Harrison once, but it didn't quite happen because there were too many fans around Harrison, picking him into pieces
He does remind me of Sean Connery...
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #55
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
Wait...what?

They could've made this

but decided to give us this?

This is kinda depressing...

You know what's really depressing, Olliana?

Quote:
"We want to bring consumers an Indy experience in 2009 following the successful launch of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008,” comments a LucasArts spokesperson. “The next-gen skus would not be ready for the 2009 window so we made a strategic business decision to end development on PS3 and Xbox 360."

... once again, income outweighs integrity.

As for the voice in a new game, if not Harrison, I think the voice actor from the bitter-sweet video posted earlier was spot on (but maybe I was just distracted by the stunning accuracy of his face :P )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Brazil
Check those videos: http://www.unseen64.net/2009/08/04/i...ps3-cancelled/

Or John Armstrong, who did quite well as Indy in Staff of Kings. I'm unsure if it's the same actor in both cases, but they sounded slightly different to me.

Anyway, feels good to be back on The Raven amidst the fresh conversation.
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #56
I.M.J.
IndyFan

I didn't mind The Emperors Tomb, and I actually enjoyed the narrative behind the Staff of Kings, so I've got that at least. However, what these publishers should do is get in to make a game the quality of something like Uncharted (which, and let's be honest, blows any Indy game made out of the water in every conceivable way), and then swap it out with Indy characters.

The point is that when these company's set out to make a game for a license like this, it's rare that it's a quality piece. So design and adventure game and then adapt it. Don't write the game for the quick fix sale of the license. I know this seems counter intuitive, but maybe a company who does it will launch a new gaming franchise rather than a licensed product that counts on cult follower money.
I.M.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #57
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.J.
I didn't mind The Emperors Tomb, and I actually enjoyed the narrative behind the Staff of Kings, so I've got that at least. However, what these publishers should do is get in to make a game the quality of something like Uncharted (which, and let's be honest, blows any Indy game made out of the water in every conceivable way), and then swap it out with Indy characters.

The point is that when these company's set out to make a game for a license like this, it's rare that it's a quality piece. So design and adventure game and then adapt it. Don't write the game for the quick fix sale of the license. I know this seems counter intuitive, but maybe a company who does it will launch a new gaming franchise rather than a licensed product that counts on cult follower money.

While I think I agree with your hopes for the development of Indy as a gaming franchise, I disagree with the sentiment that Uncharted blows all of the Indy games out of the water. The games are plenty of fun, and do offer some characterization, but there's something that Infernal Machine in particular offers that, as far as I've seen thus far, Uncharted doesn't offer to as strong as an extent, and that is an experience of actual exploration. While I'd still argue that Fate of Atlantis is the most compelling of the Indy games, Infernal Machine is perhaps the one we should be looking at most to see what has been disappearing over the past two new narrative games we've received, the fun-but-shallow Emperor's Tomb and the truly lackluster Staff of Kings.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #58
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

YES! Three words. Immersive, non-linear environments.

Oh and a far longer, story driven game too. But that goes without saying... well, actually, it should go without saying.

Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #59
MinnesotaJones
IndyFan

Why was this game never made?
MinnesotaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #60
Mephisto
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLad
So instead we got Staff of Kings... *Facepalm*

UGH. I hated the game play in Staff of Kings so much after just beating Emperor's Tomb that I played it for a total of like a half hour...it was a huge step backwards...That's usually when the ground falls out from underneath your feet!
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
JayDee
IndyFan

First footage from the canceled game!

You can see it on my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxFVZJE_2g
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #62
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee
First footage from the canceled game!

You can see it on my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxFVZJE_2g

Hmm. Have any details to fill in here?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #63
IndyBr
IndyFan

Wow.

I would like some information about that too...
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #64
Finn

Looks like more of the same that ET was.

Don't get me wrong, I found the game fun enough... but it doesn't look like the world lost a classic.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #65
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

^ Yeah. It quite literally looks like the sequel to Emperors Tomb in the sense that the game looks like it takes place right before Raiders, like Tomb took place right before Temple of Doom.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #66
Indy Brazil
IndyFan

Looks like this video is related to this "secret game": http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Brazil
20 Things You Never Knew Almost Happened in the Game Industry

Quote:
19. Someone Worked on a Secret Indiana Jones Game

"Six or seven years back, I won't say who I was working for, but we were working on an Indiana Jones trilogy game based on the first three movies," says Rex Dickson, lead single-player level designer at Kaos Studios (Homefront). "That game ended up not coming out for whatever reason -- I can go on a long diatribe about why -- but it was just really cool, because we had the full Hovitos temple built out with the rolling boulder, and it was all awesome. That would've been Xbox/PS2 -- that generation."

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb was released seven years ago (2003) and we know that Collective Studios worked on a sequel that never happened sometime after ET shipped. Maybe it was this game?

The footage shows the Hovitos temple with the rolling boulder and characters from the original trilogy. I'm pretty sure they are the same thing.

I checked Rex Dickson's LinkedIn now and says he was lead designer on ‘Indiana Jones Trilogy’ for LucasArts at The Collective.
Indy Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #67
IndyBr
IndyFan

An Indy Trilogy for the ps2 could have been fun, Greatest Adventures for the Snes was neat. But I prefer an original adventure.

It's nice to see another Indy fan from Brasil.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #68
Indy's brother
IndyFan

If they finished it and released it as it looks right now, I'd buy it. It looks like more fun to play than SOK.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #69
JayDee
IndyFan

Indy Brazil: It seems that you are right. Didn´t know about this game. It just remembered me so much of ET, so I thought it was the sequel to it. I already changed the description.

Attila: I found this footage in a demo reel of a "retired" game designer. Pure luck...
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #70
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee
Attila: I found this footage in a demo reel of a "retired" game designer. Pure luck...

Very cool.

That LinkedIn info is interesting. The trilogy based game or levels notion has come up twice officially that we're aware of now, leaving aside the Lego games, obviously.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

just dissapointing... thanks a lot for the info and pics tho... for thos of us who loved the infernal maching its just a major letdown.

Regards,

LJ
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #72
No Ticket
IndyFan

It disappoints me to no end how LucasArts has not made an Indiana Jones game that takes advantage of this generation's technology. The graphics, physics, etc. could elevate it to being better than another actual movie. We'd get the younger Harrison Ford. Ford should voice him. It could be epic. Think of how perfect the Arkham Batman games were. Yes, an Indiana Jones game could be that good.

I just don't understand why they won't make it happen. This gen is too late. If they want to do it now they should be working on nex-gen video game tech., which would be even better so why not?

Maybe they should just get Rocksteady studios to do it haha.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #73
IndyBr
IndyFan

I've heard Star Wars is getting another game franchise... Why can't they do an Indy game for the ps3?
In the meantime I'm playing Uncharted... also, the new Tomb Raider game looks good so far. But what I really want is an Indy game, damn.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #74
Grizzlor
IndyFan

So instead of a real-looking trilogy game, we got Lego Indiana Jones?
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #75
Vance
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
So instead of a real-looking trilogy game, we got Lego Indiana Jones?

Don't knock it too hard, Lego Indiana Jones was an awesome game. (The second one was a bit weaker, though.)

Honestly, I don't know why, but it seems that Indy always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to LucasArts and doing games. Most of the games have been cancelled, and only a few of the ones to actually see release were good...
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote