TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Indy's brother
IndyFan

What kind of knife for Indy?

A knife is an invaluable tool for the adventurer, survivalist, and soldier. Indy is all of these things, yet he had to borrow a knife from some punk kid in his last adventure....what's up with that? Dr. Jones needs a pig sticker! Sure he had that little pocket knife in ROTLA, but it's been kind of MIA since then, besides, doesn't Indy deserve a grown man's knife instead of tat little boy-scout knife, anyway? I've been trying to figure out which he would have. Now before you go all K-Bar Mark 2 on me:

I have to remind you how rare and difficult it is to find Indy's gear. The real thing, not replicas. It took me 2 years to find his exact backpack, for example. So his knife would have to be something ordinary for his time, but not so ordinary that everyone in the modern world would be familiar with it. So let's play. I've found this little number:

Kutmasters were made on the same assembly line as the M-1 Garand bayonets. These are very rugged knives. Not to mention, they look all business, but also commands a little bit of attention wit-da-bling!

Of course, since I'm going with militaria here, and per his satchel it's apparent that he has a soft spot for british gear, I find this little number a bit Indy-ish:

This is the British No. 7 bayonet. Little bit of wood, little bit of olive drab canvas to go with his satchel and pack.

So. Let's go hunting for his knife, eh? Remember, just like his hat, it has to be like every other one, but also be instantly recognizable. Search the 'net and post your pics here for us to comment on. (it doesn't have to be a bayonet, either)

Last edited by Indy's brother : 03-05-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
just like his hat, it has to be like every other one, but also be instantly recognizable.

Agreed. I've wondered about what Indy's knife of choice would be. I do figure he'd have the little Boy Scout type with a bottle opener, couple of small whittling blades, a corkscrew, etc. (Swiss Army style), but I also always figured he'd have one that could be used as a serious weapon. He's not Rick O'Connell, with a dozen guns and knives hanging all over him, but he's got a few guns, a trusty whip, and probably a knife. Perhaps something concealed - a last resort. However, if he had a last resort knife, we certainly would have seen him use it by now. German Mechanic. Chief Temple Guard. Mola Ram. Vogel. Dovchenko. Plenty of times he needed one.

I like your final pick, the British #7. It seems it would appeal to Indy, with the olive and the dark wood handle. Right up his alley, with the leather, khakis, olive bag, custom leather strap, etc.
Goodeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Of course, since I'm going with militaria here, and per his satchel it's apparent that he has a soft spot for british gear...

Hey Indy Nut, how about this as the perfect grave robbing companion?

Quote:
It is essential that the blade have a sharp stabbing point and good cutting edges, because an artery torn through (as against a clean cut) tends to contract and stop the bleeding. If a main artery is cleanly severed, the wounded man will quickly lose consciousness and die. (William Ewart Fairbairn, Get Tough, 1942)

Indy's not firing his gun any more, so he might as well slip a blade into pesky skull-masked cemetery guardians.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeknight
I like your final pick, the British #7. It seems it would appeal to Indy, with the olive and the dark wood handle. Right up his alley, with the leather, khakis, olive bag, custom leather strap, etc.

I thought so too, I'm considering getting one just for it's Indy-ness. The blade is a bit long for my tastes, though. I like your idea of him having a full tang blade as a "holdout weapon". Indy doesn't strike me as being very "knifey". He seems more like the kind of guy that would have a knife with him for practical reasons. I think he needs a decent knife of the variety I've mentioned in my originl post, but at the same time, I have a hard time envisioning him using it on someone. At least not with a deathblow. Maybe a knife fight that ultimately ends in his adversary falling off a cliff or something.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Hey Indy Nut, how about this as the perfect grave robbing companion?

I could definitely see it, though the fairbairn sykes knife's pedigree is a bit vicious for Indy's sensibilities. Of course, the average fan doesn't know a thing about it, so I don't think that would matter one bit.

Quote:
Indy's not firing his gun any more, so he might as well slip a blade into pesky skull-masked cemetery guardians.

I hate how right you are about this.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I could definitely see it, though the fairbairn sykes knife's pedigree is a bit vicious for Indy's sensibilities. Of course, the average fan doesn't know a thing about it, so I don't think that would matter one bit.

It'd be something he'd pull out of his closet for special occasions. Something he might have used during his OSS days.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Finn
Lead Moderator

Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
IndyJoey
IndyFan

ehhh...

In my opinion, i dont think indy would carry around a fixed blade that often.
i feel like he would carry a really good folder, but if he was somewhere that he would need something like a machete, he would carry one. By that i mean, if he was in the jungle he would carry a machete, but if he was in, say, the desert, probably not... so, in my opinion, he would normally have something like a folding hunter with him, but thats just my 2 cents. But i really like the British no 7 you have up there, its a really nice knife...
IndyJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJoey
In my opinion, i dont think indy would carry around a fixed blade that often.
i feel like he would carry a really good folder,

As I said, I also like the British #7, and think it suits Indy. But you're probably right about a fixed blade military weapon. Not quite Indy's style. Something about a military knife seems more violent than a pistol. I know he's killed dozens of people, but Indy's not a SOF Rambo type.

As for the fixed blade, I could easily imagine something like this:

A nice Damascus blade and burl handle that spoke of foreign lands and had some panache.

Perhaps something with a stag handle.

Essentially, still utilitarian, but something that could be used as a weapon in a pinch. Hence the lockback blade.

If the above are a bit too fancy, an obvious choice would be the all time classic lockback folder, the Buck hunting knife.

Quote:
but if he was somewhere that he would need something like a machete, he would carry one. By that i mean, if he was in the jungle he would carry a machete, but if he was in, say, the desert, probably not...

At the same time, maybe it's just for the continuity of the character, but Indy always has the same set of stuff with him. Leather jacket whether it's Nepal (cold and snowy), Cairo (blistering sun), South America (jungle sauna), or an alien spaceship (space between spaces seemed pretty warm and breezy). Same boots, shirt, pants, whip, hat. And if you have a fedora, you know it can be rather hot in the summer. Not like a vented Tilly or something. So I don't know that Indy adapts all that much.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Finn
Lead Moderator

Quote:
As I said, I also like the British #7, and think it suits Indy. But you're probably right about a fixed blade military weapon. Not quite Indy's style. Something about a military knife seems more violent than a pistol.
This is pretty much my sentiment. It's a known fact that Indy is armed and doesn't shy away from open combat if the occasion calls for it, but he is not the kind of type to engage in it whimsically and is very rarely the offender.

Now, most of the knives presented here are specifically combat knives - yes, they can double as tools but first and foremost they've been designed to harm another human being as effectively as possible.

The one I posted earlier is a Finnish puukko knife, which is specifically designed to act as a tool of survival*. It's a sturdy, short, single-edged knife that's been a favorite of craftsmen, hunters and other outdoorsy types in these parts for quite a bit. Having experience from handling such a knife for two decades or so (got my first one before I was even 10), it's the kind of thing I could totally envision Indy carrying.

*Though it's also got some decent history of violence, having been the weapon of choice in these parts for shanking any irritating neighbors for the past three centuries, if not longer.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Mephisto
IndyFan

Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Ha, the the picture above and the thread got me thinking...

What if Indiana Jones was deduced to a knife wielding, stab happy patron not unlike Michael Myers or Jason Vorhees? Woah!
I think stabbing someone with a knife has more of a murderous overtone. Though technically shooting someone is just the same.

That's a silhouette I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Having been with OSS in his military past, perhaps these require a bit of attention.

First, as IndyJoey pointed out about Indy having a possible use for a machete, combined with Montana's love of the fairbairn, how about this hybrid of the two?:

OSS Type I “Case” Smatchet

Quote:
A Smatchet is a short, heavy fighting knife/sword 16.5 inches (42 cm) in overall length (including grip). It was designed by knife fighting expert and instructor Capt. William E. Fairbairn during World War II.
Wiki

As you can see, it's rather large, and could be used to simply clear away brush if so desired:

There were severl iterations of this knife, but one jumps out a little for it's "traditional adventurer" appeal:

OSS smatchet BOWIE special operations knife

This next version is not to my tastes, but here it is anyway because if Indy had it in his hand, it would become as instantly recognizable as much of his other gear due to it's slightly odd shape:

OSS smatchet CBI Theater Kukri curved blade special operations knife

I would be lying if this hadn't sprung instantly to mind at the mention of Indy's OSS days:

OSS carpetbagger

Although not a true auto-knife like Mutt's switchblade, it's similar enough to make an anti-Mutt fan cringe if Indy were to flick it open on the big screen. The pic above is of one that is currently selling for $5,000.00! YEOUCH!!

Here is the more commonly known one:

OSS Paratrooper

The above is a replica of course, but it looks pretty accurate to my untrained eye. Again, a gravity knife isn't what I would prefer Indy to carry, but I'm just one fan and Indy could have had one, after all.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto

Caption:
"I hate it when my sleeve gets ripped off. But my arm sure does look beefy. I should just stand still and gaze off into the distance. Sweet. Is Marion looking? Tell Marion to look over here."
Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Von Stalhein
IndyFan

Quote:
However, if he had a last resort knife, we certainly would have seen him use it by now. German Mechanic. Chief Temple Guard. Mola Ram. Vogel.
The latter would also have had an SS dagger.
Von Stalhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Stalhein
The latter would also have had an SS dagger.

...just so long as he caught Vogel standing on ceremony...

A symbolic rather than a practical blade.

http://germandressdaggers.com/ss%20standard.htm
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Von Stalhein
IndyFan

Quote:
...just so long as he caught Vogel standing on ceremony...

A symbolic rather than a practical blade.

http://germandressdaggers.com/ss%20standard.htm
Could it not be sharpened to be practical?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Goodeknight
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Stalhein
Could it not be sharpened to be practical?

Probably a weak rat tail tang, and a blade not fit to be sharpened (not tempered or hardened, etc.)
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Von Stalhein
IndyFan

Quote:
Probably a weak rat tail tang, and a blade not fit to be sharpened (not tempered or hardened, etc.)
That's too bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
HenryJunior
IndyFan

Quote:
"I hate it when my sleeve gets ripped off. But my arm sure does look beefy. I should just stand still and gaze off into the distance. Sweet. Is Marion looking? Tell Marion to look over here."
Classic!
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
IndyJoey
IndyFan

Quote:
Perhaps something with a stag handle.

If the above are a bit too fancy, an obvious choice would be the all time classic lockback folder, the Buck hunting knife.

Indy's knife in raiders had a stag handle, and yes, i agree a buck would be a good choice. Oh and Finn, i reallly do like that knife you showed, it looks right up indy's (and my) alley. Oh, and Finn where can i get a Finnish puukko?

Last edited by IndyJoey : 05-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Finn
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Oh and Finn, i reallly do like that knife you showed, it looks right up indy's (and my) alley. Oh, and Finn where can i get a Finnish puukko?
Why, from Finland of course.

If you ever find yourself in these parts, I'd say the easiest way to acquire one is... 1) piss off a random person, 2) wait 'til you feel a stinging sensation between your ribs, 3) run away, 4) profit.

Okay, seriously...

I sort of lied about that easy way. The absolute simplest way in here to get one is to go to a place that sells 'em and buy one. There's absolutely no legislation in place whatsoever concerning puukkos here in Finland. Anybody can buy one, no permits or papers or whatever required. Even if you're a minor. My parents gave my sister her first knife at the same time I got mine, and she's three years younger than me. So if you ever find yourself in Finland... you know. Just keep in mind that they're not probably something the airline will allow in carry-on baggage.

So even in Ireland, I suppose the first thing to try would be to simply walk into the local Home Depot, or whatever's the equivalent. They're considered simple tools at least in these parts, so any and every hardware store carries a selection. They are however mainly industrial-made these days, so the hilts are mainly plastic or other composite material instead of good old vintage wood as in the picture. Not that those kind are rare either, at least 'round here.

Failing to pick one off the shelf, the Internet seems to carry a wide variety of stores selling just about everything. Simply entering the keyword in Amazon.com for example brings up this selection . Before ordering one from another part of the world I recommend looking up the local legislation however. A tool in one place can still be considered a weapon in another and therefore might be confiscated once they hit the customs.

One more way is to seek out a local craftsman who takes custom orders. Here's an example I came up by simply googling. (That first image is not quite, but pretty close.) This route is tends to be quite pricey though.

All in all, acquiring one is definitely not an overly tall order. Pretty much the only real hurdle might be the law in target country if one ends up importing.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #23
IndyJoey
IndyFan

So, i should be able to find one at a home depot? cool, i'll try that. Do you have any recommendations for one? You know, handle material, blade material, size? I usually like stainless blades because it keeps an edge very well...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
Finn
Lead Moderator

Quote:
So, i should be able to find one at a home depot? cool, i'll try that. Do you have any recommendations for one? You know, handle material, blade material, size? I usually like stainless blades because it keeps an edge very well...
It's worth a shot. The largest mass manufacturer of puukko type of knives is not actually Finnish, but Swedish company called Mora. They supply their products worldwide and should be a rather common brand in pretty much any hardware store.

Now, as far as the materials go, it pretty much depends on what you plan to use it on, considering it's designed to be a true multipurpose knife. If you figure it's mainly going to see use as a hunting knife, cutting up small animals and fish, stainless steel blade is the way to go. If you intend to work on harder materials, such as carving and cutting wood, then I recommend veering towards blades made of common tool steels such as carbon-based alloy. A good compromise between the two is a laminated steel blade, which has processed blade surface to protect from the elements but a sturdy core inside.

What comes to blade lengths, they traditionally come in three varieties. The so-called carpenter's blade may be as short as two inches (5-6 cm), which is usually handy for working on wood surfaces such as carving and shaving chips.

However, the common blade is, well, the most common as it is designed to handle adequately any task the user decides to employ the knife. The blade length is usually about four and half inches (10-11 cm), give or take half an inch. It's the blade I pictured earlier.

Then there's the Sami blade, or leuku, as it's called in my native tongue. It has a huge blade ranging from six to 11 inches. Not the most wieldiest of knives, it is mostly meant for skinning big game and to be used as a makeshift axe when you need to make a fire during those cold Nordic winters.

Out of these three, I definitely recommend the multipurpose common blade. With a bit of practice, you can do the woodwork almost as well as with the carpenter blade which doesn't really fly for anything else, and leuku is pretty much an overkill. And to be honest, I doubt that any regular hardware store even carries a leuku-length blade.

The hilt material is probably where most puukko shoppers who head to a run-of-the-mill hardware store have to brace for disappointment. Most hilts are usually made of rubber, plastic or some kind of composite material. If you're looking a knife mainly for use and not for aesthetics, they'll do. But like I said, if you also wish to go for that good vintage outdoorsy look, there's no beating a wooden handle. The classic Finnish puukko hilt is generally made of birch, but I'd say any wood from a broad-leaved tree native to Northern Europe (oak, elm, etc) is fine. But like I said earlier, finding one from a regular hardware store might be a tall order sometimes. As an alternative, you could look for a store that specializes in hunting and fishing gear.

Hilts made of animal bone, such as elk or bear also exist. But these are truly quite rare. And expensive.

Puukkos usually come with a handy sheath so that the worker or hunter can hang it from their belt. The blades meant for general tool use usually come with a plastic sheath, but again if aesthetics and classic look are more important, the sheath should made for leather, either hardened or soft. The former is better for protecting the blade against the elements but sheaths made of latter make 'em more wieldy. Apart from hanging it from the belt, stuffing it into the side pocket of a backpack or even into the boot become options. It's also something of a tradition that the sheaths and hilts don't mix: If you find a knife with wooden hilt, it usually comes with a leather sheath whereas hilts made of synthetic materials are accompanied with a hard plastic sheath.

I currently have three puukkos in general use. One with a plastic hilt with a blade made of stainless steel, which I use as a wieldy kitchen knife. The other two are for more outdoorsy purposes. Both have birchwood hilts and soft leather sheats. The blades are made of stainless and laminated steel. All three are of the common blade length.

Since you're looking for your first knife which should probably both look cool and be wieldy, I recommend the common blade length with a wooden handle and blade made of laminated steel though stainless should do fine too unless you're into heavy carpentery. Sheath ought to be of leather, naturally, it's what Indy would have carried in his day. Let's hope you find a nice one somewhere.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
IndyJoey
IndyFan

Allright Finn, thanks for the information, i'll check some stores around here for one, although i did find one that i like on Mora's website.... hmmm I dont know, i guess i'll have to check it out around here to see if theres anything i like...