User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #326
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusade>Raiders
^Well at least one guy liked it.

Hey! I did too! Go ahead, shoot me! Just 'cause I understand that the Mummy films are at heart adventure film spoofs doesn't mean I'm a retarded dumb**** with no idea of quality. I don't care what you guys think, but I genuinely enjoyed TODE for the most part (yes, some of Hannah's jokes fell flat...OH WELL!!!). I loved Jet Li's Er Shi Huangdi: an excellent villain with awesome powers. VERY COOL. And Michelle Yeoh was wonderful and heroic.

Luke Ford made for a plucky and amusing Alex, and Lin was, despit her pokemon-squeaky voice which GRINDED ON MY NERVES, quite a cute and likable heroine. I thought the Yeti's were very cool (didn't expect them to be good guys...SWEET!), and I love how Huangdi becomes King Ghidorah at a whim. Mad-Dog Maguire was a hoot, and the battle scenes and action (especially the Shanghai chase---ingenious and one of the most thrilling sequences in a movie ever) were awesome.

Maria Bello, I thought, was an inspired replacement despite the obviously fake and overdone accent (she needs more practice, and then she'll be fine in my book). The plot was wonderfully Indy-esque, the effects were impressively imaginative, and I ABSOLUTELY ****ING LOVE the bit where Evey has become an author and made books out of the first two movies! And the covers are like all 1930's pulp-Doc-Savage style! LOVE IT!!!

All in all, I truly loved the majority of this film. Hey, it has some flaws, but what movie doesn't? I mean, if I can love The Mummy Returns and The SCorpion King, then there is no way I shouldn't enjoy this film, which is no different. I'm a Mummy fan, and I'm PROUD of it!

BRING ON PERUVIAN MUMMIES AND IMMORTAL RICK O'CONNELL!!! I'll be there! I love these movies; they are so fun and funny and imaginative, and are not afraid to have a sense of humor. Great cheesy fun.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #327
kongisking
IndyFan

"The Mummy: Rise of The Aztecs (2010) Is the current title for the next installment to the Mummy film series. It has been greenlit to go into production.

The Mummy: The Golden Eye of Sapphire (2013) Is the possible title for the fifth installment to the Mummy film series which may be made. Some characters may be written into this installment and there are rumors that Will Smith is written as the villain in this film."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mum...Dragon_Emperor

I like these titles. Cool!

But Will Smith? Does this mean we will return to Africa in the next ones?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #328
otto rahn
IndyFan

Saw this last week and enjoyed it. Yes we now know what to expect from a "Mummy" movie, and this one didn't hold any surprises, but it was still fun.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #329
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
i saw it and it is the worst movie i have ever seen.

there are certain expectations of believability that the audience has when they enter the cinema.

But the girl calling the yetis from the snow with her yeti language just took it too far.

I was laughing at how bad it was so i actually enjoyed it.
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #330
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
"The Mummy: Rise of The Aztecs (2010) Is the current title for the next installment to the Mummy film series. It has been greenlit to go into production.

The Mummy: The Golden Eye of Sapphire (2013) Is the possible title for the fifth installment to the Mummy film series which may be made. Some characters may be written into this installment and there are rumors that Will Smith is written as the villain in this film."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mum...Dragon_Emperor

I like these titles. Cool!

But Will Smith? Does this mean we will return to Africa in the next ones?

Um...was that info in the Wiki link? I can't find it now. I honestly think someone just made that up, posted it on Wiki, and then someone else removed it. I don't doubt there will be sequels, since the third one was still a financial success (but critical failure), but I don't think thats what they'll be called.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it with a web search. Still, I think its all rumors at this point. Especially the Will Smith thing...I don't think he'd be game for starring in a Mummy sequel...he's too A List for that.

Last edited by DIrishB : 09-24-2008 at 08:38 AM.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #331
Raiders112390
IndyFan

How do you guys feel this film was, compared to KOTCS?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #332
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390

Ugh, why did I have to sound so dorkishly juvenile the last time I posted in this thread? I promise, no more stupidity from me, you all have my word.

Anyways, I definitely think KOTCS was better, mostly because of Spielberg's magic touch and Ford's performance. Hell, it was just more respectable all around.

But yeah, I still think TOTDE is an underrated flick. Stephen Sommers' Mummy series is built on a foundation of silliness, so to expect anything more than goofy, over-the-top adventure shenanigans is just foolhardy. As it was, it was a guilty pleasure, certainly.

I guess it's safe to say this franchise is dead now. No word of any further sequels for a few years now. Sheesh. I was looking forward to Aztec mummies...

Oh, and Rachel Weisz's inevitable-no, required-return, ahem...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #333
HJTHX1138
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390

KOTCS is alot like seeing a miracle compared to . . . this . . .

Just . . . whuh?

See, I always sort of expected the Mummy movies to stay in that weird little horror/adventure niche.

I was wrong, it seems to be an overblown History Channel Special.

It wasn't intimidating or scary, the meta humor made me want to eat my arms off . . . it was ungodly stupid and the action reminded of me of the G.I. Joe cartoon more than anything else . . . and using China in a Mummy movie is a BIG stretch, even though they spent the whole movie trying to justify it.
HJTHX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #334
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJTHX1138

That's why I prefer TOTDE to KOTCS. Yeti would have been perfect for Indy, as well. Much less controversial than aliens because they're a traditional folklore element. Indy could have faced them in Nepal while looking for the bones of Abner.

The Mummy movies had nothing to live up to, unlike the Indy entries.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #335
HJTHX1138
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
That's why I prefer TOTDE to KOTCS. Yeti would have been perfect for Indy, as well. Much less controversial than aliens because they're a traditional folklore element. Indy could have faced them in Nepal while looking for the bones of Abner.

The Mummy movies had nothing to live up to, unlike the Indy entries.

To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .

If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.
HJTHX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #336
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .

If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.

Bones would have been good as well. Symbolic of the passing of folklore and the dawn of a modern age in which Indy is an anachronism.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #337
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Bones would have been good as well. Symbolic of the passing of folklore and the dawn of a modern age in which Indy is an anachronism.

Nice.

Would be cool to see Indy do his Teddy Ballgame and go yard on someone's skull with a Four Foot Femur.

...as long as there's no bandolier slung over the corpse.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #338
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Nice.

Would be cool to see Indy do his Teddy Ballgame and go yard on someone's skull with a Four Foot Femur.

That's kinda what I had in mind when I thought of Indy as a married man:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon

Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #339
JP Jones
IndyFan

I just rented Mummy 3 based on this thread. I'll share my thoughts on it soon enough.
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #340
JP Jones
IndyFan

Review

I'll start by saying, I've watched the previous 2 Mummy movies several times and I enjoy the heck out of both of them. They're fun, exciting, adventures. That being said, based on most of the reviews for the 3rd installment, I wasn't expecting the same for Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

The good news is, That feeling of adventure is still well-intact with this film. The Chinese mummy stuff was done quite well, and it held my interest all the way through. The action also did an above average job of giving the film an old school adventure feel.

The problem is that there is too much that I really didn't enjoy. The script felt like a distant imitation of the previous 2, lacking real charm or fun, and the acting here is as below-par as it gets, even with a franchise that doesn't rely on it much at all.

While the film is the worst of the 3, due to it's fun deprived script and bad acting, it doesn't ruin the franchise for me. I had a good time watching it, it gets a 6.5/10 from me.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #341
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Jones
The script felt like a distant imitation of the previous 2, lacking real charm or fun, and the acting here is as below-par as it gets, even with a franchise that doesn't rely on it much at all.

While the film is the worst of the 3, due to it's fun deprived script and bad acting, it doesn't ruin the franchise for me.

I'm sorry, did you read the script or did you watch the film? The actual written words on the page can be amazing but if delivered by actors or a director horribly the film will suck. Unless you actually read the screenplay, that's not a valid argument.

I've never read the screenplay for The Mummy 3, but I find it disheartening when people see a bad film and blame the script. The known belief is; you can have a bad script, great actors and director thus creating a bad movie, but you can also have a great script, bad actors and a bad director and the director and actors filter the screenplay into crap... and any other variation you can think of. The script is always blamed, and that's a bit of a cop out unless you've actually read the screenplay. Went on a bit of a rant, but it needed to be said.

Saying that, I am not a fan of this movie, but people too quickly dismiss the writing as the problem. Good writing can and has been executed poorly many many times before.
The execution of the words is ultimately the deciding factor.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #342
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
I'm sorry, did you read the script or did you watch the film? The actual written words on the page can be amazing but if delivered by actors or a director horribly the film will suck. Unless you actually read the screenplay, that's not a valid argument.

I've never read the screenplay for The Mummy 3, but I find it disheartening when people see a bad film and blame the script. The known belief is; you can have a bad script, great actors and director thus creating a bad movie, but you can also have a great script, bad actors and a bad director and the director and actors filter the screenplay into crap... and any other variation you can think of. The script is always blamed, and that's a bit of a cop out unless you've actually read the screenplay. Went on a bit of a rant, but it needed to be said.

Saying that, I am not a fan of this movie, but people too quickly dismiss the writing as the problem. Good writing can and has been executed poorly many many times before.

I actually had the (mis)fortune of reading the novelization before seeing this, and I thought it was terrific, with great characters, fun action and a great plot. When seeing the actual film, I admit, pretty big letdown in those departments, but I still decided, "Hell, judge the final product," and in the end, I decided it was a dumb, unambitious and silly guilty-pleasure, one of those films that I know is fundamentally lame and stupid, but I still get a kick out of watching sometimes. I have the same thinking with Michael Bay's Transformers films (wait, I should clarify: his first and third Transformers films. Revenge of the Fallen was just...despicably bad).
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #343
JP Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

Seeing as I haven't read the script, I'll phrase it " What happens in the film lacks the fun of the previous 2, and there are jokes made just to fake the feeling of charm when it's not really there." You seem to forget that sometimes there are bad scripts, and I believe Mummy 3 had one.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #344
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Jones
You seem to forget that sometimes there are bad scripts, and I believe Mummy 3 had one.

You didn't read my post very clearly. Seeing is believing.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote