TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Thailand

Hey all, I'm heading to Bangkok with a couple pals next week to explore Thailand for three weeks. I know some of you have been before, so I wonder if you have any recommendations for must-see things or sound adventuring. We're going to the full moon party on Kho-Samu Island on Jan. 30, but other than that we don't really have a plan. Would love to hear your ideas.
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Soi Cowboy and Patpong should be not be missed.

An authentic Muay Thai fight is a something to be seen as well.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
Hey all, I'm heading to Bangkok with a couple pals next week to explore Thailand for three weeks.

As David Caradine is wont to say, "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..."

Bring back pictures
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Peru1936
IndyFan

If you like more adventurous outings (and I usually mean mountains when I say that - love me some mountains; not much love here for touristy beaches), I recommend going up north for some time in the highlands.

In Chiang Mai are several districts that house national parks, like Pha Daeng National Park in Chiang Dao. Nam Tok Huai Yang National Park is in Amphur Mae Taeng, also a district of Chiang Mai. Hikes can be turned into treks lasting from three days to as long as you have time. I recommend going through the hill tribe regions to observe an older, more interesting culture. Wiang Papao, Mae Hong Son, and Mae Tong all have trailhead access to hill tribe treks.
Peru1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Archaeologist
IndyFan

Check out Pai in the northwest region of Thailand for some good elephant riding (without the huge couches strapped to the backs like a lot, if not all, of Chiang Mai places arrange). Also in that region along the Salaween river is a real Karen tribe. Most people know the Karen for their long necks with the rings. Those are not real karen tribes people, but people putting on a show. Think of them as equal to the cowboys & sheriffs in a wild west themed park. In other words caricatures of the way life was for the entertainment of westerners. The real Karen are not allowed Thai citizenship and are on a small piece of land on the Salaween river between Myanmar and Thailand. But your boat (that only sits about 5, including the captain) will be searched by the Myanmar military as well as Thai at the Karen village. They do not take kindly to rude westerners and they do not mess around! Those ak-47s with bayonets will be pointed and ready. If you speak thai, then you should be fine. It was a great ethnoarchaeology project, that's for sure!

But if you would rather party, then yes: Soi Cowboy, Patpong, Koh Samui, Koh Samet, Soi 11 (go to the Cathouse), etc. They are all great. Oh, and Koh means Island, so no need to add it at the end.

Phrase to learn (written phonetically, don't worry about tones): My-Pen-Rye. Think of the translation equal to a "Goodfella" saying "Forget about it!" It can get you out of a lot of bad situations...
Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Enjoy the trip. I am dying to go to Thailand, but I cannot find anyone to go with me.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Thanks for the suggestions guys, cheers. I'm flying out tomorrow morning. See you in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Back! A few photos:

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Peru1936
IndyFan

Nice snaps. Hope you had a blast, man.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Wow! The places you went to are really beautiful! Nice pictures!
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

I really want to go to Thailand. What places did you see and what would you recommend?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Thanks guys! It was a blast for sure, although I didn't anticipate the wounds on my legs the morning after I was jumping an inflamed rope while wasted out of my mind.

dr.jones1986, I visited Bangkok, which was fantastic; Krabbi, which is part of the mainland and quite beautiful; and two islands, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan (where I went to the full moon party). All of southern Thailand is quite tropical and warm, although I understand that the northern area is quite mountainous. Definitely recommend the country, as it's cheap and there's eye candy everywhere (and not just in terms of landscape, if you get my drift... ).
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Double post...first one I've ever had I think.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks guys! It was a blast for sure, although I didn't anticipate the wounds on my legs the morning after I was jumping an inflamed rope while wasted out of my mind.

dr.jones1986, I visited Bangkok, which was fantastic; Krabbi, which is part of the mainland and quite beautiful; and two islands, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan (where I went to the full moon party). All of southern Thailand is quite tropical and warm, although I understand that the northern area is quite mountainous. Definitely recommend the country, as it's cheap and there's eye candy everywhere (and not just in terms of landscape, if you get my drift... ).

I get ya, haha. I hear it is great and cheap, the only thing is living in the US, the flight isnt cheap. I see it says you are living in Seoul, that flight cant be too bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
I get ya, haha. I hear it is great and cheap, the only thing is living in the US, the flight isnt cheap. I see it says you are living in Seoul, that flight cant be too bad.

Yeah the flight was reasonable, about $600 return. Although I was foolish not to enlist the help of my co-teachers, who said they could have found a flight for half the price by scouring Korean airline tickets online.

I met a couple of American girls who said they flew from NYC for about $1500 return. Not that bad, considering NYC is about as far from Thailand geographically as you can get in the world.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah the flight was reasonable, about $600 return. Although I was foolish not to enlist the help of my co-teachers, who said they could have found a flight for half the price by scouring Korean airline tickets online.

I met a couple of American girls who said they flew from NYC for about $1500 return. Not that bad, considering NYC is about as far from Thailand geographically as you can get in the world.

Yea I think Thailand is about as far a flight as you can get from New York, which happens to be where I am from. I have actually found some good deals on tours, it seems more economically sound to do a tour that includes the flight.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
As David Caradine is wont to say, "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..."
David Caradine?!? Don't you mean Murray Head?

@AlivePoet: How was the elephant ride through the jungle? Shoot any tigers?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
Peru1936
IndyFan

Quote:

Do that for sure next time. I have some friends in the airline industry down in Gwanghwamun and they hook me up with stellar deals whenever possible. Last I flew to Canada with the wife though, we went through an online agent and got an excellent deal: $2500 total from Seoul to St. John's return.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Stoo
IndyFan

8 Nights in Bangkok (♪ ♬ Makes a Hard Man Humble ♫ ♬)

Looks like Iíll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because Iíve never been to The Orient before. Canít wait!

The plan:
- Go to Cambodia to visit Angkor
- River trip to The Bridge on the River Kwai
- An elephant ride somewhere (anywhere!)
- See the Jade Buddha
- Swim at a nice, clean beach

This is good thread for tips & recommendations but ANY more information/advice is surely welcome.

@AlivePoet: Are you still alive?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #20
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Looks like I’ll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because I’ve never been to The Orient before. Can’t wait!

The plan:
- Go to Cambodia to visit Angkor
- River trip to The Bridge on the River Kwai
- An elephant ride somewhere (anywhere!)
- See the Jade Buddha
- Swim at a nice, clean beach

This is good thread for tips & recommendations but ANY more information/advice is surely welcome.

@AlivePoet: Are you still alive?

I was there for about 2.5 weeks over the summer. I did a side trip to Cambodia to visit Angkor which was incredible. I went to Kanchanaburi for a visit to the Bridge on the River Kwai, a ride on the death railway and the war cemetery, which you can do as a day trip from Bangkok if you want. I booked a day trip once I was in Bangkok. There are plenty of things to do in Bangkok, including the Jade Buddha at the Royal Palace. I also spent a week in the south at Khao Sok National Park in a rainforest and two different islands. I visited Koh Samui and Koh Tao. I also did a day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park which was beautiful. These islands would require either an overnight train and ferry ride (which I did) or a flight from Bangkok. There are closer beaches to Bangkok that you can take a few hour bus trip to, but I did not visit. I was almost going to stay at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel at the start of the trip but I ended up staying at another Marriott property (Renaissance) because it was closer to Jim Thompson's House. If you have any other questions let me know. What brings you to Bangkok, just pleasure or are you going for business?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:38 AM   #21
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Looks like Iíll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because Iíve never been to The Orient before. Canít wait!

You're one month too early for Songkran, the Thai New Year. You should be in time for the 2017 King's Cup.

I don't have any recent info to draw upon, but I do keep a ready list of hotels from various locales that I've either stayed in or want to stay in.

I find The Peninsula Hotels to have the finest collection of hotels throughout Asia, and Bangkok is no different. Their location on the Chao Praya River is superb.

The Mandarin-Oriental is, of course, the first* hotel in Bangkok and they're no slouch either. Try the Bamboo Bar. Both hotels amenities are highly recommended even if you don't stay at either location.

* - The Mandarin was the actually the first hotel and then later merged with The Oriental giving rise to the global chain you know today.

Also worth looking into: Arun Residence, Chakrabongse Villas, and Ariyasom Villa/

Life's too short to stay in chain hotels.

And since you want to visit the Bridge Over the Not River Kwai, it's worth stopping over at at the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #22
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
If you have any other questions let me know. What brings you to Bangkok, just pleasure or are you going for business?
So glad to hear that you finally made it there, Dr.Jones1986! My girlfriend is going for business and I'm tagging along for pleasure so the adventurous stuff will be mine alone.

Thanks a lot for your info. I've never heard of Jim Thompson before but 'googled' him. Having worked in the schmatta industry for several years, I am now very interested in his disappearance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
You're one month too early for Songkran, the Thai New Year. You should be in time for the 2017 King's Cup.
Looked it up: Elephant Polo? Man, I'm going to be a few days late for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
The Mandarin-Oriental is, of course, the first* hotel in Bangkok and they're no slouch either. Try the Bamboo Bar. Both hotels amenities are highly recommended even if you don't stay at either location.
---
And since you want to visit the Bridge Over the Not River Kwai, it's worth stopping over at at the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.
This is why I love ya, Sabby-babe! As I drift down the river to the Bridge NOT on the River Kwai, I'll think of you (and Dr.Jones1986) while investigating the opportunity to check out that floating market. Nice tip.

As you well know, Bamboo Bar sounds like my kind of place.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
So glad to hear that you finally made it there, Dr.Jones1986! My girlfriend is going for business and I'm tagging along for pleasure so the adventurous stuff will be mine alone.

Thanks a lot for your info. I've never heard of Jim Thompson before but 'googled' him. Having worked in the schmatta industry for several years, I am now very interested in his disappearance!
Looked it up: Elephant Polo? Man, I'm going to be a few days late for that!

This is why I love ya, Sabby-babe! As I drift down the river to the Bridge NOT on the River Kwai, I'll think of you (and Dr.Jones1986) while investigating the opportunity to check out that floating market. Nice tip.

As you well know, Bamboo Bar sounds like my kind of place.

I forgot to mention in addition to a train ride along the railway following the river, I did float on a bamboo raft along the Khwae Noi. Glad I peaked your interest in Jim Thompson, I found the information on his life and mysterious disappearance interesting. It happened in 1967 during the Cold War and in an exotic local like Southeast Asia, sounds like a great setting for Indy 5 if you ask me.