TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #451
dakota
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Looking great gentlemen.

Major West, is that lambskin?

Dakota, that's a really nice fit you have there. Wrinkling up nicely too, did you give it the water treatment?

Yes it's had a hot water treatment but using just a misting bottle with hot tap water to soak the jacket (not through to the lining though).

The jacket was worn wet until dry and I think the fact that the hide is the shrunken lamb, it had definately helped with drap and wearing in of the jacket.

The Wested Hero is just a superb jacket and I think if you can get the correct shade of hide (depending what Wested has in at the time of order) you can get a really SA Indy jacket.
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #452
Blackadder
IndyFan

Stumbled upon this yesterday, he does not ship outside UK, but someone in UK may get this. Wanted to give it a go since it is my size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wested-Leath...AOSwHb9ZcOp l
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #453
Major West
IndyFan

You guys have any views a good cowhide leather for a winter jacket?

I'm thinking either Dark Novapelle or Brown Cowhide. Which of these two is the heavier. Warmer?
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #454
Drones33
IndyFan

I've only ever had distressed cowhide and dark brown novapelle as a winter jacket, but of those two I reckon the novapelle is a bit thicker and heavier, but not by much. ( although that may well have been the batches used at the time) However while the novapelle feels more substantial, and certainly warm with a jumper or fleece, I've found it to be fairly porous; gets wet through pretty quickly. No noticeable shrinkage though. It would need a coat of Pecards to make it a bit more rain proof.
I've never had brown cowhide,but I seem to remember a guy over at the Indy Lounge saying it reminded him of upholstery leather.
Must say though, the warmest leather jacket I have is a heavy duty lambskin A2. Very thick, extremely heavy, I can only comfortably wear it when the weather is really cold. Great leather. It's a shame Wested don't offer it as an option, it would work really well as a Hero.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #455
Major West
IndyFan

Upholstry leather, that doesn't sound too good. You don't hear much about the brown cowhide in relation to these jackets. Maybe that's why. I want to get a good cowhide Indy jacket that I feel comfortable to wear in all weathers, so to speak, and offer a decent layer of protection. I do have a pre-distressed LC already, which is quite nice but I was thinking it would be cool to have a Hero Raiders in hide. Horse is out of the question, because I hear it's just too heavy and people don't wear them because of that.

I may look into other leather jackets I suppose, an A2 as you say.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #456
Glenville86
IndyFan

I use a Wested horsehide for cold weather.

Also have a Wested cowhide that has a nice luster to it. Not thin at all but the horsehide is clearly the one I pick for the really colder days.

I have found with a fleece vest and colder weather office shirt, I stay pretty toasty in the cowhide and horsehide jackets.

Warmest leather jacket is a Aero HH with a micro fleece lining.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #457
Major West
IndyFan

Does the Wested Horsehide have a texture or character to it, or is it quite smooth?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #458
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Does the Wested Horsehide have a texture or character to it, or is it quite smooth?

The Wested HH has slight grain but pretty much smooth. Would take years of wear to get character. Might be able to get it looking aged with the standard treatments. Thing about most HH is it takes a long time to get that look just by wearing.

I have an A2 US Wings in HH that they made the leather to age faster. They have a couple of them left on their sales page.

The Aero one I have is preowned and shows some creases but not much grain at all.....

I have an S&J Indy that is HH and this sourced leather has grain right out of the box. Not as stiff and smooth as the other HH I have owned.

HH is usually a great leather if you want a jacket to last and have a newish look to it for a long time.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #459
Major West
IndyFan

I might look into those, thanks. I like the toughness aspect, but I've got enough jackets that look new. Still breaking them it, so part of me wants something that has a head start on it, or will have some hope of showing age by itself from wear. I hear the Dark Novapelle does this, but it's still quite a heavy hide.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #460
Glenville86
IndyFan

I had a Dark Novapelle but passed it on to charity as I could not get into the leather. Nothing wrong with it but just not my cup of tea.

It was pretty grey when I got it. Did the Pecards treatment which made it more brown but not completely brown. The leather also had thousands of dark, tiny dots in it that bugged me.

It was a heavier weight jacket and came with that already worn look that people like.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #461
Major West
IndyFan

Difficult. I may resign myself to sticking with medium-light leathers I like the look/feel of and invest in discreet fleece lining type garments for winter.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #462
Glenville86
IndyFan

I ended up buying a lighter vest and a heavy fleece vest. Got them a size smaller so they would not hang below the jacket. Have used this setup for the last several Winters.

Now, if the temps drop below 10 degrees (F), I switch out to a work style heavy lined canvas jacket.......

I have found with HH and cowhide with the vest, you will stay pretty warm if you are moving. I used to walk to work when in Germany and would actually sweat through my shirt. This was in the Winter when it was pretty cold.

I have read that unlined leather jackets are just an insulator from wind and the elements. It is what you layer underneath that determines how warm you stay. I would think the Wested standard lamb and any of their jackets except for the really light ones would be alright.

I think the weight of the HH makes it a colder weather jacket. Has to be in the mid-forties or below for me to wear them.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #463
Drones33
IndyFan

Wested ToD in authentic lambskin.
Chest 42"
Sleeve 25"
back 26"

Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #464
Blackadder
IndyFan

Very nice color on this one , seems very close to the screen...
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #465
Major West
IndyFan

Yep, look's good.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #466
Johnnydooks
IndyFan

Wested Custom Raiders Wide Sleeves

I have had my custom raiders for about six months now, and I am starting to notice that the sleeves are pretty wide. Is this just a characteristic of the custom raiders? It seems as though this would not be a problem that would not be easily altered(if possible at all).

Last edited by Johnnydooks : 09-05-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
Johnnydooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #467
Major West
IndyFan

Sleeves are wider on the 'Raiders' version of the jacket, of course depending on the size of jacket you've got they could be wider. I prefer the wider sleeves, especially if you ever layer the jacket with more than just a shirt.

If you want skinner tapered, and more screen accurate sleeves, you should order the 'Hero' version of the Raiders. Personally speaking I need to size up on the Hero jacket just for more comfortable arm sleeves. Of course arm holes are about an inch smaller on the hero as well.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #468
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86

I think the weight of the HH makes it a colder weather jacket. Has to be in the mid-forties or below for me to wear them.

I was tempted by the HH again this evening after reading a thread on COW by a young lad who'd been putting his HH Raiders jacket through it's paces over the last four years, adventuring and doing hard labour type work across the globe. It held up amazing well of course. I suppose if it was your only jacket you would wear it all the time, but I keep reading people saying they don't wear HH until the weather is pretty freezing which puts me off.

Jacket does look the part in the same way the authentic lamb does. Tempting.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #469
dakota
IndyFan

Quote:
I was tempted by the HH again this evening after reading a thread on COW by a young lad who'd been putting his HH Raiders jacket through it's paces over the last four years, adventuring and doing hard labour type work across the globe. It held up amazing well of course. I suppose if it was your only jacket you would wear it all the time, but I keep reading people saying they don't wear HH until the weather is pretty freezing which puts me off.

Jacket does look the part in the same way the authentic lamb does. Tempting.

I own quite a few A2 jackets in horsehide and I have found that they suit all weather types, mainly spring, summer, fall.

When winter arrives I usually retire the A2 until the following spring and wear a more substantial jacket preferably not leather, like a B-10 or N-1 deck jacket or a NB-2 parka even sometimes a US Tanker jacket.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #470
Major West
IndyFan

I suppose it depends what the thickness of the Horse Hide is. Wested's is classed as heavyweight. With Cow being medium weight and Goat and lamb are feather weight. I find the medium weight leathers to be quite substantial and have yet to try anything classed as heavier.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #471
dakota
IndyFan

Correct, Wested's horsehide must be very thick if they class it as heavy weight.

All of my A2s are mil-spec weight horsehide so not that heavy in comparison to my Wested custom Raiders in the dark novapelle hide, which is much heavier.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #472
Glenville86
IndyFan

Come on Major West........Just buy the jacket.

Depending on the weather where you are, it could be a 3 season jacket.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #473
TheAdventurer
IndyFan

I just received my Coyles Jacket in the mail yesterday. I got it on eBay for $65. I've never owned an indy jacket before so I guess I can't compare quality, but gosh darn it, this is a nice jacket! I've done a ton of research on indy gear and tried to find the best quality with a good price and this jacket always seemed to be right there with some of the other more expensive competitors. I was a little worried about getting it on eBay, mostly because I am a super small frame (5"7', 125lbs) and thought I was gonna have to make some adjustments for sure. However, it fit me perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

I will say, I was a little surprised at how light weight the jacket was. I'm not disappointed, but I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota and it is definitely gonna need some insulation (sweater or something) underneath to keep me warm on my adventures. Not a problem...we adventurers always find a way.

I will try to post some photo's soon. I am still waiting on my new Indy hat to come in the mail.
TheAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #474
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
Come on Major West........Just buy the jacket.

Depending on the weather where you are, it could be a 3 season jacket.

I opted for a medium weight jacket instead. Will see how it looks when it arrives.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #475
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
I opted for a medium weight jacket instead. Will see how it looks when it arrives.

Hmmm... Intrigued. Lookin forward to seeing what you opted for.