Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

Nosirrah

Walecs said:
When she was much younger, a friend of mine thought the Indiana Jones movies were set in present days and the Nazis were actually a smaller party which had been recentely founded in honour of the real WWII Nazis.
Maybe she was thinking of a different movie.

Great thread. My major misconceptions:

- RotLA: I thought Indy changed into captain's clothes and was in disguise during the trip. During the submarine montage, there is a German speaking actor (saying: "tauche das U-boot") who I thought was Indiana Jones. Looks like Harrison Ford.

- LC: In the temple, Indy completes the first task and then puts a rope on the wheels to stop the blades from swinging. I, however, for years assumed some centuries old operator guarding the traps did this, just like the monk waiting at the end. Later I realized it's just Indy's hands doing this.

Am I the only one?

Kai Hagen

I was a kid when I watched RotLA for the first time. I had a hard time figuring out what Indy's occupation was. And I thought it was set in the present time until I saw the swastika.

IndyBuff

The first time I watched Last Crusade as a kid I thought that Fedora was Indy. I remember running downstairs and telling my parents that I was disappointed that Harrison Ford wasn't playing Indy in this movie. They told me to keep watching and eventually it made sense.

IndyScout-117

Citizen_Kane said:

- RotLA: I thought Indy changed into captain's clothes and was in disguise during the trip. During the submarine montage, there is a German speaking actor (saying: "tauche das U-boot") who I thought was Indiana Jones. Looks like Harrison Ford.

Am I the only one?
No I definitely thought that with Raiders too! Blew my mind when I learned it wasn?t him.

I dunno if anyone would know this one. Is Vogel or Dietrich part of the SS? I know that Reingold (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth novel) was SS but I didn?t know ifvogel or Dietrich were. Vogel seemed more likely because of his ruthlessness and Dietrich was kinda a chump

dr.jones1986

IndyScout-117 said:
No I definitely thought that with Raiders too! Blew my mind when I learned it wasn?t him.

I dunno if anyone would know this one. Is Vogel or Dietrich part of the SS? I know that Reingold (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth novel) was SS but I didn?t know ifvogel or Dietrich were. Vogel seemed more likely because of his ruthlessness and Dietrich was kinda a chump

Vogel is a part of the SS, Dietrich is not. You can tell from their respective uniforms.

RaidersLovers

Citizen_Kane said:

Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunaly is unknow. Possibly is a stunt (Opening thhe ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene) or one of the guys related with the submarine.

IndyBuff

Citizen_Kane said:

Am I the only one?

Nope, that happened to me too!

RaidersLovers

RaidersLovers said:
Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunaly is unknow. Possibly is a stunt (Opening thhe ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene) or one of the guys related with the submarine.

I think he is a Michael Sheard replacement (As in the canyon scene there is a Tony Vogel replacement)

IndyScout-117 said:
IndyBuff said:
Nope, that happened to me too!
Ha, very happy to see I am not the only one :whip:

RaidersLovers said:
Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunately is unknown.
Raiders of the Lost Harrison Look-a-like!

RaidersLovers said:
I think he is a Michael Sheard replacement
Thanks for the info. Probably a replacement indeed. IMDb credits Michael Sheard (who also played Hitler in Last Crusade) as the U-Boat Captain. However, the U-Boat Captain in the final film definitely is not Michael Sheard. (edit: the Indiana Jones Wikia has a page on the U-Boat "Officer", of which the actor is unknown)

F9rk1HV.jpg

vwA5Lq5.jpg

edit: Here I found some more info on Michael Sheard's character in Raiders, apparently his character is called Oskar Schomberg and was mostly cut from the final film.

Oskar Schomberg, the U-Boat Captain, played by Michael Sheard
U-Boat_Captain.jpg

Michael Sheard (who also played admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back) is definitely a different actor.
rkzn6U7.jpg

Last edited:

RaidersLovers

Citizen_Kane said:
Thanks for the info. Probably a replacement indeed. IMDb credits Michael Sheard (who also played Hitler in Last Crusade) as the U-Boat Captain. However, the U-Boat Captain in the final film definitely is not Michael Sheard. (edit: the Indiana Jones Wikia has a page on the U-Boat "Officer", of which the actor is unknown)

F9rk1HV.jpg

vwA5Lq5.jpg

edit: Here I found some more info on Michael Sheard's character in Raiders, apparently his character is called Oskar Schomberg and was mostly cut from the final film.

Oskar Schomberg, the U-Boat Captain, played by Michael Sheard
U-Boat_Captain.jpg

Michael Sheard (who also played admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back) is definitely a different actor.
rkzn6U7.jpg

He does not appears on the script, but Oskar Schomburg yes. I'm sure he replaced Michael Sherd

Toht's Arm

RaidersLovers said:
Opening the ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene

I wonder if that had to do with the lightbulb things they had attached to their chests, which were later covered up with visual effects? Were they concerned about the safety of the actors...?

indy2.jpg

RaidersLovers

After a research, The stunts were used actually for the exploding guns where clearly we can see the soldiers moving carefully and also some of them being hit by the explosion. (This scene also used the bulbs)

The bulbs were tested with locals (Who played the soldiers in closeups shooted in January 1981,who included the beam hitting the cameraman and the soldier hitted in his eyes and hands ) so i guess they weren't stunts but the bulbs were controlled by special effects technicians who also played soldiers in the scene (ex. Trevor Butterfield who opened the ark).

Changing the subject (Because this is not the thread) I will talk about when I saw the Opening of the ark the first time in my life, I saw a totally different thing:

1.All the ghost were angels like the skull one.
2. Actually all the ghosts turned into skeletons.
3. I remember Belloq scared when he said "It's Beautiful"
4. I remember also shots of the soldiers dancing in the fog.
5. Marion and Indy stake was in the ground with the soldiers, not in a elevated place.
6.I remember the shot where Belloq was covered in fire like a very scare scene and as a closeup of Belloq, not a general shot including Dietrich and Toht (With belloq in agony).
7.I remember shots of the soldiers reacting to Belloq Fire.
8.Belloq was throwing the beams.
9.Some soldiers were hitted by beams, after that, the antagonist trio dies, after that the soldiers dies.
10.The soldier chest bright was purple o pink.
11.Belloq was not screaming before his death, only Toht and Dietrich.
12. Dietrich death was very different: his mouth enlarged like in the movie, his eyes rolled up like in the movie, his nose falled and his cheeks and chins fell in pieces. also his head shrinks like in the movie but also melts like toht (without reaching the skull).
13. Toht death was not very different but some of his faces features falled in solid pieces, more than liquid. also the glasses falled to the ground, not the neck.
14. Belloq death was also different and longer: after killing all the soldiers, the fire consumed belloq until the point of his head evaporating and his headless body exploding and his arms detaching of the body, but the fire only showed Belloq's shadow death, after that the fire dissapears.
15.After belloq death as I said in point 9, the soldiers slowly falled to the ground collapsing, during that we can see that the bodies of Toht, Dietrich and Belloq dissapeared, instead we can see the ark being covered in a gold light that the soldiers are watching while they falled to the ground, then the light dissapeared, we see shots of the soldiers body (Not dummies, actually actor lying in the ground) before the bodies dissapears, then the column of fire rising up scenes plays as normal.
16. The scene begin with Belloq opening the ark, then instead of the sand scene, we see a bright light covering the altar and a noise, after we can see a reaction closeup of Toht, after, we can see closeups of the soldiers reacting, after that the lights blew up (including a focus operated by a soldier located on a cliff) in a different way that the movie but ending with the explosion of the generator, angelical choirs sounds as the fog appears in front of a scared Belloq, before the first ghost appear, we can see a ghost with the shape of a rat (like Bantu Wind hold) crossing the Tabernacle, then a ghost appears behind the soldiers, with more appearing.
17. Indy says to Marion to close her eyes before the opening of the ark.
18. Belloq prayer was longer.

Other misconceptions in Raiders:
1. Eaton doesn't had moustache.
2. Satipo corpse was half descomposed whe Indy found it (less than Forrestal)
3. Barranca back was bloodier

Also I remember different the death of Donovan to the movie one:
1.Donovan reaction to the cup was a nervous reaction segue to Donovan holding his neck, followed of reaction shots of Indy and Elsa.
2.then Donovan says his line of the movie "What is happening to me" but instead of the initial aged Donovan we can see a Normal donovan with his hand turning gray.
3. the shot of growing hair was longer.
4.Instead of "Doc Brown mummy " Donovan, I saw a gray skin Donovan with long hair and black clothes played by Glover, then his face fades (rather to morphing) to skull, point where the score intesifies .
5. Donovan skeleton gets mad (Running and screaming) while descomposing revealing a red chest.
6. Donovan isn't hitted by Indy, instead he is broken in pieces and falls to a cliff (The only part that doesn't fall is the skull)

There are more misconception of when I saw the trilogy but I think this post is long

Raiders90

When I was younger, when watching the scene where Indy and Marcus search Henry's hous, I thought Indy said "What's the old fool..." And Marcus finished the sentence "got himself into now?"

micsteam

I don't know if this qualifies as a " misconception " but when my mother was describing Raiders to me ( I'm 8 turning 9 at the end of the summer in June 1981 when the movie was premiering) she said " Harrison Ford is in it and George Lucas is making it do you want to go see it ? " I'm like " sure but who's Harrison Ford ?" she goes " you know, Han Solo " "oohh no way !! yes, yes, yes, !! ". I can still remember how I felt watching it, you almost didn't even recognize Ford from doing Solo for two movies. Raiders has, maybe, one of THE best opening scenes in movie history !! You don't even know who this guy is, where he is, what he's looking for, and you don't even know if it's Ford playing the guy in the hat. My two cents :hat:

Drones33

I was firmly convinced, up until about 10 minutes ago, that in Last Crusade, just before Indy swings out of the castle window, that he says to Elsa
?...this is kitten play.?
I?ve just been reliably informed that it?s ?kids play?.

Randy_Flagg

Not exactly a misconception, but I remember being pretty convinced that Indy 3 would be about what happens to Indy, Short Round and Willie on their way to Delhi. The ending of TOD seemed to set that up, or so I thought at the time.

Paul Pauley

Not Indy, but I remember being nine years old and preparing to see BTTF II with Mum and me asking my half brother if Marty McFly was now Marty Tannen. I had obviously heard weird rumours from other kids.

for TLC, a much older boy told me that Indy III would reveal Willie was now in a cage above a circus ring without clothes and being gawked at from below...

Ender

Not exactly a misconception, but I remember being pretty convinced that Indy 3 would be about what happens to Indy, Short Round and Willie on their way to Delhi. The ending of TOD seemed to set that up, or so I thought at the time.
Honestly, I was just thinking today how cool it would've been if Indy 3 had been yet another prequel showing how Indy got Nurhaci's ashes.