Indy Married/Prodigy?

Indyologist

Since Indy will be older in the next film, do you think that Indy should FINALLY be settled down (ie-married)? Do you think he should have a child?

FAN

NO, YES. Indy being married would not do at all, he is Indiana Jones,lover and adventurer,will face all dangerous quest's except matrimony. Yes he should have a son by Marion. If you would like to read up about my plot views concernig the son go to my thread Don't knok it till you try it. Or debate your thought's on this at my other thread DEBATE.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
No, and no.

I can't see Indy married, even if it were to fit with the character (which I don't think it does), it seems like a rather weak and contrived plot development.

Also a rather obvious plot development.

Indyologist

Well guys, I really feel that Indy is marrying material and that he is deserving of REAL love, not that brief jump in sack c**p. Yeah, I'm sentimental :rolleyes:! If you don't think so, please recall that Indy WAS briefly married to Dierdre (see the Indy novels) and that Indy told Marion he loved her in Marvels' Further Adventures of IJ issue #14. I guess you could say that-- yuk yuk-- I feel that Marion's good for marryin'-- snicker. Yes, I'm up on my Indy research-- otherwise, I wouldn't be an Indyologist, would I?! ;)

NO NO!!!!!!! If Indy got married, then it would completely ruin my Indy 4 viewing experience.

I would just be sitting there letting my feelings of envy take over me! I would be way too depressed to continue watching!

Indy is a free spirit! He can't be tied down by marriage.

Oh, and about the son thing, that just wouldn't be cool. There's already one father-son relationship, let's keep it that way.

Canyon

Indygirl21 said:
NO NO!!!!!!! If Indy got married, then it would completely ruin my Indy 4 viewing experience.

I would just be sitting there letting my feelings of envy take over me! I would be way too depressed to continue watching!

Indy is a free spirit! He can't be tied down by marriage.

Oh, and about the son thing, that just wouldn't be cool. There's already one father-son relationship, let's keep it that way.

You just want him all to yourself and I can't say I blame ya! tehe :D <small>me too! *drool*</small>

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indyologist said:
Well guys, I really feel that Indy is marrying material and that he is deserving of REAL love, not that brief jump in sack c**p. Yeah, I'm sentimental :rolleyes:! If you don't think so, please recall that Indy WAS briefly married to Dierdre (see the Indy novels) and that Indy told Marion he loved her in Marvels' Further Adventures of IJ issue #14. I guess you could say that-- yuk yuk-- I feel that Marion's good for marryin'-- snicker. Yes, I'm up on my Indy research-- otherwise, I wouldn't be an Indyologist, would I?! ;)

Okay, we'll talk about Diedre. Of course, I'm sure the filmmakers won't really consider her, but I think that she was the last woman Indy really loved...her loss really depressed him. As for Marion, I don't see them bringing her back as a normal character, as no one really remembers her except us, and there is a fair group that don't particularly care for her anyway. Also, if they don't consider the novels, they certainly won't even remember the Marvel comic series.

Indyologist

Okay, you all have a point. Yeah, I guess I'd be depressed if Indy got married too. Still, because I think that because he's such a great guy that he DESERVES someone. I mean, if most guys aren't married by the time they are in their 40's they are usually depressed-- unless they don't want to be married.

And as far as having a child goes, no son means no more Indy movies, unless you want Lucas/Spielburg to go the James Bond route with another man playing Indy. As for me, I can't imagine anyone but Mr. Ford playing Indy. So with no son, we can kiss any other Indy movies goodbye. Hope we can all live with that, because if Indy doesn't have a son, that's the way it's going to be. . . :(

FAN

Indyologist,
I agree Indy should have a son, but like I have been telling the rest I am against Indy's son taking over the legacy, and wan't him to play Indy's sidekick,sorry but that's the way it is, mabye in the future my prospective will change.I also think that if he has to get married or does they should make Indy V and Indy VI first. Though I would have to give matrimony for Indy some thought,I don't think it is Indiana Jones, and I am strongly against anyone but Ford playing Indy, and I think you all underestimate Ford's physical state, for crying out loud my grandmother is in her 70's and she mow's a cymetery,takes care of this huge dog, drives herself most every ware, and does practically everything herself!And my other grandmother is in her 90's and she walk's around,and cook's, clean's, bathes herself, ect. . . my mom is realy the only help she has and grand-ma doesent have as much strength as she use to ( you should have seen her in her 80's when she was still driving ) so everyone please stop talking about Ford like he's some feeble old man who need's a walker and home help, he only in his 60's for crying out loud.

bob

Should Indy be married?

NO

For me it takes away a lot from the character, for if he was to settle into some sort of domestisity he would no longer be Indiana Jones he would just be Dr Henry Jones Jr. I just cannot see Indy as a married man it would really bring a sort of closure to his character and it would end the underdog status that i see in him. If Indy were married in Indy IV i imagine either Marion or Willy would be brought as the wife, i find this a bit hard to swallow as the characters never displayed those sort of atributes that i can imagine them settling down.

The Indy Child

Well IT COULD work if it were done right but i just dont feel that it is right for Indy IV, it makes the Indy series less about Indy and more about the Jones dynasty

FAN

Bob's right Indy being married would not work for Indy IV.
And Indy having a son could work if they did it right.

grumpus

Instead of having a son of his own, they could bring Shorty back. Indy was pretty much like a fater to him in Temple of Doom and Shorty wouldnt be very old in the next one.

Tessa

Moderator Emeritus
I agrre that the marriage thing might not work in the movies. Perhaps a long time relationship where each party were content to live together but not in a serious commitment as marriage? I don't know, but I did write some stories as Indy married and it worked out I think. But most people don't see him as married. It plays with the casanova-rugged adventure type.

The child has some potential though. We need the series to live on some way, right? But I'm sorry guys, Marion would not work. Perhaps someone he met on a past archeology jaunt (from the comics or books maybe)?

Texas Indy

Have any of ya'll read the Indy books that came out around 1991 to about 1998? In the 2nd book(timeline wise) "Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants" he meets Deirdre which is one of his students at London University. He falls in love with her after he helps her mother on a dig in Scottland. Later on he marries her in "Indiana Jones and the Seven veils", but she passes away in a plane crash 2 weeks after getting married. Then there was another woman named Alecia who he would have married, but I'll let ya'll find out what happened on your own. The last 3 writers are the books I am refering to:

http://www.theraider.net/information/books/novels_index.php

These books were authorized by LucasFilm and checked by George Lucas, so these are accurate accounts of Indiana Jones adventures.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Texas Indy said:
Have any of ya'll read the Indy books that came out around 1991 to about 1998? In the 2nd book(timeline wise) "Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants" he meets Deirdre which is one of his students at London University. He falls in love with her after he helps her mother on a dig in Scottland. Later on he marries her in "Indiana Jones and the Seven veils", but she passes away in a plane crash 2 weeks after getting married. Then there was another woman named Alecia who he would have married, but I'll let ya'll find out what happened on your own. The last 3 writers are the books I am refering to:

http://www.theraider.net/information/books/novels_index.php

These books were authorized by LucasFilm and checked by George Lucas, so these are accurate accounts of Indiana Jones adventures.

Good info...there's a number of people not familiar with Diedre and Alecia.

However, I was kind of wondering...knowing of the characters in the books (Indy included), what do you think about Indy's potential for marriage?

Indyologist

Hi Atilla! I think that Indy would make a great husband. He has obviously shown potential as a husband in the sources mentioned. In an issue of the Marvel Comics Indy series, he travels to Nepal with Marion to find her father, Abner, who is rumored to be alive in a utopian-type of city in the mountains called Ra-Lundi. Along the way, Marion falls from the mountain and Indy hopelessly watches her plummet and he openly cries (yep, that's right--Indy isn't just a blood -n- guts hero-- he actually has FEELINGS! :) )

Well, later on he finds her in Ra-Lundi and wants to run to her as she's being taken away and says "if I can't spend the rest of my life with her, then I'll be with her when she dies!" The rest of the story is really amazing, so I'll let you find out yourself. Even though other Indy fans want Indy to be a James Bondsian "playa fur life," I think Indy is a mature man who has the same need for love that everyone has, hero or not. Maybe it sounds sappy, but that's how I feel.

BTW: who the heck is Alicia? And yet another BTW: in the novelization of Raiders, he mentions a girl named Rita he almost married.

Texas Indy

Married....yeah I can see it, but I don't think it should be in any of the movies. I seriously think it would slow the movie down. Look at Star Wars Episode 2. Yeah Anakin and Amidala marry at the end, but only helped the story cause you knew it was gonna happen. The movie needs to stick to action adventure and a little romance.

Alecia Dunstin worked as the librarian of the British Museum, where she worked along side her brother Alistar, who Indy looks for in "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone". Alecia is mentioned and in the next 2 Max McCoy books: "Indiana Jones and the Dinosuar Eggs" and "Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth". If it weren't for the Crystal Skull Indy and Alecia would have probably been married. If you haven't read any of those novels in the link I gave, pick them up they might be old books and hard to find but worth it. Especially Max McCoy's books. They are written just like an Indy Movie and with it's flare and humor.

Canyon

Indyologist said:
Still, because I think that because he's such a great guy that he DESERVES someone.

I really agree with this statement! :D

Indyologist said:
Hi Atilla! I think that Indy would make a great husband. He has obviously shown potential as a husband in the sources mentioned. In an issue of the Marvel Comics Indy series, he travels to Nepal with Marion to find her father, Abner, who is rumored to be alive in a utopian-type of city in the mountains called Ra-Lundi. Along the way, Marion falls from the mountain and Indy hopelessly watches her plummet and he openly cries (yep, that's right--Indy isn't just a blood -n- guts hero-- he actually has FEELINGS! :) )

Well, later on he finds her in Ra-Lundi and wants to run to her as she's being taken away and says "if I can't spend the rest of my life with her, then I'll be with her when she dies!" The rest of the story is really amazing, so I'll let you find out yourself. Even though other Indy fans want Indy to be a James Bondsian "playa fur life," I think Indy is a mature man who has the same need for love that everyone has, hero or not. Maybe it sounds sappy, but that's how I feel.

BTW: who the heck is Alicia? And yet another BTW: in the novelization of Raiders, he mentions a girl named Rita he almost married.

Indyologist is right. Indy does have feelings and I'm reminded of something that I noticed whilst seeing Raiders on the big screen. In the part where Indy realises that Marion is, in fact, very much alive, I could see tears of happiness in his eyes which I thought was wonderful and it showed that he a) loves her and b) has feelings and emotions and is not just someone who is interested in 'fortune and glory'. This was shown very much in Temple of Doom, where he risked his life to save hundreds of children.

What you have to understand about being married is (and I speak from a personal point of view) when a person marries, life does not automatically become settled (unless you want it to.)

I think that maybe Indy should not get married in Indy 4, but perhaps be in a situation where he is in a long-term relationship and at the end of the film, perhaps talk of an engagement in mentioned. That way, the audience can go away at the end of the film and if they wish to, they can imagine Indy and his love stay together, get engaged, get married, have kids, whatever they want.

BTW, I have read that marvel comic and found it very moving when tears rolled down Indy's cheeks and I can't help but feel that maybe Marion is the only woman for him...

What you have to understand about Indy is that he is a romantic and he is in a era where romance was perhaps a bigger part of a relationship than it is today. If Indy does have a child, and he or she appears in the adventure, I think it would best if they were not a sidekick and I really don't want to see a situation where Indy passes the hat and whip down as I think that would be far too cliqued.

Texas Indy

Actually at this point in 1950 Indy is probably so distraught after having so many of his loves killed in a plane crash, fall to their doom, and many other things(including every adventure of Indy), Indy doesn't want a ture relationship with someone, cause it might get them hurt or worse...killed. I mean that's a major thing with superheroes, specifically if they marry, then their wife or husband is liable to be taken away and used against the hero. Thats why you don't see many heros marry very often. Also speeking for the married position, I don't think my life has changed much since I tied the knot. Speaking from Indy's shoes, I would leave the wife home on my adventures...unless she was a great linguist or archeologist like myself, or of some great importance to the archeological dig. I'll add more to this later...