Indy Body Count

Joe Brody

I've done a few searches for this with no luck -- has Indy's body count for each film ever been compiled?

Kingsley

I would say...

60 in Raiders :dead:
50 in TOD :dead:
35 in LC :dead:

hard to tell... scenes like the opening of the ark, or the bridge scene in TOD gives any body count too much uncertainity.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Perhaps the qualifer should be how many deaths does Indy cause directly? Not just how many people die. It wasn't Indy's fault when the heads roll in LC or when the Angel of Death melts everyone.

indy34

When you think about it deaths directly caused by Indy would only be something like 5 in each movie:p

Joe Brody

Aaron H said:
Perhaps the qualifer should be how many deaths does Indy cause directly? Not just how many people die. It wasn't Indy's fault when the heads roll in LC or when the Angel of Death melts everyone.

. . . or when the Coronado goes down.

You're right. I'm interested in the number of people Indy has killed. I was watching LC the other day and it struck me that when Indy means it when he tells Elsa "All I have to do is squeeze."

Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with violence (I'll even let my young kids watch Black Hawk Down), but Indy's a killer. No two ways around it. I wonder what his body count will be in the next one.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
What about folks like the German mechanic and the lead Thuggee guard? Slightly more ambiguously, the tough sergeant during the truck chase?

For sheer numbers, Jones Sr. takes out quite a few when he blows up the truck that's pulling up alongside the tank. Wonder how his count compares.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
What about folks like the German mechanic and the lead Thuggee guard? Slightly more ambiguously, the tough sergeant during the truck chase?

For sheer numbers, Jones Sr. takes out quite a few when he blows up the truck that's pulling up alongside the tank. Wonder how his count compares.

I don't think the German mechanic counts as a kill for him, or the Thuggee slavemaster. Those were just happy chances. The tough sergeant definitely counts as a kill though. It might be the sergeant's fault he grabs a broken spoke and falls off the truck, but Indy beat him and hurled him out the window in the first place.

Aaron H said:

Temple of Doom. He kills at least a dozen Thuggees when he cuts the rope bridge. On top of the Chinese gangsters he skewers and shoots at the beginning, and the Thuggees he throws into the lava pit, this has to to take the prize.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

The German Mechanic counts as a kill. The big Dude fought fair. Indy fought dirty because he was overmatched. Indy could have tried to help but didn't.

oki9Sedo

Joe Brody said:
The German Mechanic counts as a kill......Indy could have tried to help but didn't.

If I see a car flying towards an unaware pedestrian and don't warn them and then they get hit, does that mean I killed them? No. Indy choosing not to help the mechanic doesn't mean he killed him.

If he'd deliberately led the mechanic into the line of the propellor then it would count, but he didn't do that either, he was just lucky.

Last edited:

Kingsley

Interesting... I think the german mechanic counts as a kill too.
I remember now the 3 nazis killed with one bullet in the tank scene in LC.
I can't say which movie has the higher body count in this sense.

IndySeven

Raiders would definitely have the most. With the Raven Bar fight, Basket Game and Truck Chase, there were a lot of bad guys killed!:gun:

oki9Sedo

IndySeven said:
Raiders would definitely have the most. With the Raven Bar fight, Basket Game and Truck Chase, there were a lot of bad guys killed!:gun:

But he killed at least a dozen when he cuts the rope bridge in Temple of Doom.

No Ticket

He killed quite a few Nazis in a row with that Luger in LC. .... that is how you spell it... uhm, that is the name of the gun right? lol. I have no idea, honestly. I think that's what they're called.

It's all in self defense though!

roundshort

No, I think I get what Joe is saying, Indy is a pretty stone cold murderer. The German mec. that counts, 'cause if Indy would have had his pistol, he would have planted a slug right between his eyes.
Without watching the movies I am thinking raiders has the highest Indy caused kills.

Hmmm maybe Indy IV will bump up the number of indy kills?

oki9Sedo

roundshort said:
No, I think I get what Joe is saying, Indy is a pretty stone cold murderer. The German mec. that counts, 'cause if Indy would have had his pistol, he would have planted a slug right between his eyes.
Without watching the movies I am thinking raiders has the highest Indy caused kills.

Hmmm maybe Indy IV will bump up the number of indy kills?

I think Temple of Doom has the highest count because of the scene where he cuts the rope bridge.

I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has some old fasioned un-PC violence like Raiders and Temple of Doom, rather than the PC-violence in Last Crusade.

roundshort

oki9Sedo said:
I think Temple of Doom has the highest count because of the scene where he cuts the rope bridge.

I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has some old fasioned un-PC violence like Raiders and Temple of Doom, rather than the PC-violence in Last Crusade.

I agree!

Maybe Raiders seems like it had a higher body count do the the Raven Fight, Cairo Street fight (although many of the Arabs were "hurt" not killed, Then the truck chase, which again I suppose seemed like a high body count. Well, here is too good old fashioned violence!

oki9Sedo

roundshort said:
I agree!

Maybe Raiders seems like it had a higher body count do the the Raven Fight, Cairo Street fight (although many of the Arabs were "hurt" not killed, Then the truck chase, which again I suppose seemed like a high body count. Well, here is too good old fashioned violence!

Absolutely! I'm glad to hear that tonally the new film will be most like Raiders, although hopefully it will have a tone and feel of its own.

Its hard to know how many of those soldiers hanging onto the truck in Raiders actually die (if any).

Pale Horse

Staff member
Define cold blooded murder. Did he murder Sapito, or is Indy more of a cold blooded involuntary manslaughterer. After all, we all know "what a careful guy he is..."

I say he maliciously killed the swordsman, Lao Che's henchmen with the flamming sword, the two guards in the Austrian castle guarding his dad and the 3 german dudes on the back of the tank. The rest of the deaths were a result of reckless behavior, that may or may not result in the loss of life (ie the dudes on the truck chase, the boat chase, Thugee guards, the mechanic, the germans on the motorcycles, etc...). We assume they die, but do they really? And did Indy do it, cause it, etc.

We could get a better idea if we define what we mean by Indy Body count.