Last Crusade opening sequence

Spalkomania

I think it's amusing that Indy got his chin scar, his fear of snakes, his fedora and first use of the bullwhip all on the same day. :D

Niteshade007

It's probably my least favorite of the original openings. While I think Phoenix does a good job, I still can't help but see him as River Phoenix. And I fail to see what is so "cool" about Fedora. He's a theif, and not a very charming one at that. He may show some affection towards Indy at the end by giving him his hat, but had someone who had chased me through a train car of doom given me a hat, I would have thrown it right back at him. I certainly wouldn't have decided to dress like him for the rest of my life.

I'm fine with the snake phobia part, and I find it interesting that at one time Indy wasn't afraid of snakes, but the rest of the animals look pretty fake, with the exception of the lion, but given that it is a real lion, I should hope that it wouldn't look fake.

mutt willams

michael said:
I watched the Last Crusade again last night, and I am really starting to love the sequence, especially when he pulls the snake off Herman and the way he says "it's only a snake" plus the "i'll figure something out" line. The music is awesome too. It's also nice to see the progression of respect Fedora starts to give Indy.

i like that stuff too!

mutt willams

Rococo said:
Thought of this during tonights watching. In the early scenes, the friend is already calling him "Indy", though the way the camera pans on the dog, it seems like it's supposed to imply that *that* is the dog that Indy has "fond memories" of... so you would have to assume that he assumed the name while the dog was still alive???

i think he did take the name before the dog died

mutt willams

NLogan said:
I love the opening sequence and it is a shame River Phoenix was not alive to do the Young Indiana Jones series as he was perfect in the role. One "gripe" or more of a quandary actually is: Why is the kid with the floppy hat (Roscoe) pulling out a knife and trying to kill Indy? You know the part where they are wrestling on top of the train car and the Rhino puts his horn through the roof. I think I would have brought that up with the sheriff if I were Indy. I am sure fedora or panama hat didn't tell the goons go and kill the 13 year old boy scout, just to get the cross back. Attempted murder I think trumps theft of an artifact.:confused:

i dont get that either, he should have mentioned it to the sherrif

The Man

I used to think that, besides Fedora, the goons on the ship in 1938 were the same guys who chased Indy in 1912. Is there any evidence of that?

mutt willams

The Man said:
I used to think that, besides Fedora, the goons on the ship in 1938 were the same guys who chased Indy in 1912. Is there any evidence of that?

it think it was the guy in the car, remember when roscoe runs out of the house and hands the cross to that guy, i think it was him!

jonesissparrow

In my opinion the opening sequence of LC really do feel like a Saturday Matinee Serial, maybe Spielberg was inspired by this serial for the opening:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0Q4ItYoJU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PO0Q4ItYoJU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think out of all the four its the most charming if that's the right word and it shows that Indy was always an improviser even in his childhood.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Indeed. Cool it, you two.
I took it to the appropriate thread. Hope yooze all is happy...:cool:
Rococo said:
Thought of this during tonights watching. In the early scenes, the friend is already calling him "Indy", though the way the camera pans on the dog, it seems like it's supposed to imply that *that* is the dog that Indy has "fond memories" of... so you would have to assume that he assumed the name while the dog was still alive???
If you accept the Young Indy Chronicles, then Indy took the name when his was a child.

As for death of Indiana, the dog, there are two versions. Supposedly:
1914 June: The dog dies fighting a rattesnake (Young Indiana Jones and the Secret City)
1916 April c.: The dog dies of old age. (DK Ultimate Guide + ???)

jonesissparrow said:
In my opinion the opening sequence of LC really do feel like a Saturday Matinee Serial, maybe Spielberg was inspired by this serial for the opening:
GREAT find, jonesissparrow! As a collector of films movies/serials that inspired Indy, I really appreciate this.:hat: (y)

The ghost town subject here reminds me of "Raiders of Ghost City":eek:
Also, dig the chapter titles, "River of Doom", "Descending Doom" (with the
latter being the same as another serial I like).

Thanks again for posting that!

Nurhachi1991

Attila the Professor said:
Indeed. Cool it, you two.

I'm calm I was just stating I'm tired of hearing people complain about the opening I thought it was a real treat to see Young Indy.

Kooshmeister

The Man said:

I doubt it. Rough Rider especially looked pretty old. And none of the crewmen on the Coronado appeared to be Native American. I think by then Panama Hat had hired a new gang. Besides, those guys were just the ship's crew mostly, I think.

Forbidden Eye

The more I think about this opening, the more I hate it. In fact, it's by far, my least favorite opening of the quadrilogy.

The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones as he's suppose to be a legend in that he has so many elements of his costume and character that are mysterious and that you never quite know how he got them and assume he got them with various different adventures, so it really gives you the sense of history that Indiana Jones has and all the many adventures he has been through. The fact he just got them all in just one coincidental event in just an hour or so rather cheapens that sense of mystery Indy has.

I also hate this opening because it literally has nothing to do with the movie. Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones
Believability & Indiana Jones should never be mentioned in the same sentence.;)
Forbidden Eye said:
Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.
I'm sure you know but what you wish for already exists!:D
Like it or not, it's called, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed Hitchcock's 1938 film "The Lady Vanishes" features a magician's trunk with a false bottom in the train's luggage compartment, and various other props and animals belonging to the Italian Signor Doppo.