What's so wrong with aliens?

HJTHX1138 said:
Everywhere I go, everyone gives me crap about it.
Must be a full moon tonight, everyone is hyper emotional!

I was asking in what way you thought it "worked" since I don't agree on some levels.

I wasn't telling you you're an idiot for liking some stupid "western" with space aliens in it.

HJTHX1138

Rocket Surgeon said:
Must be a full moon tonight, everyone is hyper emotional!

I was asking in what way you thought it "worked" since I don't agree on some levels.

I wasn't telling you you're an idiot for liking some stupid "western" with space aliens in it.

Well, Everyone's giving the movie crap, Sowwy.

As I already said, it works because of the dynamic SPOILERS!:

Aliens take over other aliens (Olivia Wilde's species)

Cowboys are taking over the West and killing the Native Americans

The Native Americans and the Cowboys create a truce to fight the aliens

It's just a simple dynamic/theme whatever . . .

pete33

i didnt mind the aliens because of the way it was handled. the movie felt like an indy movie through and through. there was still a kind of mystery at the end of the movie about the interdementional beings. i think i just had alot of questions at the end of the movie as to the setup of them. like, why did they come here? why did they choose to teach the ugha about farming? do they farm in there dimension? also, why didnt they just take off in the ufo, why split into 13 seperate beings and then wait 3000 years for another alien to return the missing skull? it doesnt quite make sense to me. this indy movie was more complicated then the others.

Henry W Jones

pete33 said:
i didnt mind the aliens because of the way it was handled. the movie felt like an indy movie through and through. there was still a kind of mystery at the end of the movie about the interdementional beings. i think i just had alot of questions at the end of the movie as to the setup of them. like, why did they come here? why did they choose to teach the ugha about farming? do they farm in there dimension? also, why didnt they just take off in the ufo, why split into 13 seperate beings and then wait 3000 years for another alien to return the missing skull? it doesnt quite make sense to me. this indy movie was more complicated then the others.

Complicated or thinnly written?

Marshall2288

Upon first viewing i was pissed that they put aliens in it. After several more viewings I have pin-pointed my dislike of this movie to two things: the fridge flying 100s of feet and Indy coming fine and the fact that they had a freakin flying saucer take off at the end. I can deal with the acient alien theme, just not actually finding acient aliens.

Benraianajones

The alien theme can work I think in Indy, but they didn't go right about it, it was a bit too obvious with the alien exposed and the saucer. In fate of atlantis, the indiana game, there are alien references and so forth. At the end, the Germans attempt to make themselves like gods and they become strange scary looking beings of light, which eventually become deformed and die as a result. We don't see any aliens, but we see deformed bones and hints maybe the technology was from above.

I don't mind the ending with the alien in KOTCS, but, they should have made the death of Spalko a little more harrowing. I thought the alien when it leaned forward has quite a cold scary look in its eyes, actually. I think the scene where the bodys slide together does look good to be honest.

They could have had the alien figure somewhat darkened in shadow and not expose the full mystery of its apperance.

But, I think what would have been best would be like the comic. Irina's eyes should have burned out but she is still having knowledge poured in to her so she is still "seeing", whislt this occurs the skeletons (even if from camera trickery) appear to be closing in on her, until the beams set her on fire from the inside out. In this case, we'd never see the actual aliens but simply a sample of the power.

OR they could have made it so when she alien appears before her, it is clear she is seeing the skeletons as they would have appeared in the past in their full form, since she is being given the overpowering knowledge.

Montana Smith

Why did the Ark end up at Areas 51?

Because it was an alien artifact...?

Yes, I'm glad Lucas finally got his aliens into Indyverse. That's another good thing about KOTCS. I'm on a roll!

Marshall2288

I'm not sure why the Ark was there but I'll admit that I did have a giddy fanboy moment when that happened. Mind you the movie was still good at the point.

HenryJunior

I'm glad there are those who liked aliens, but I think it broke the pattern set from other films, and if Aliens had to be done it could have been so much better. There should have been less answers given and much more mystery to them. Instead we see a typical Grey alien (albeit 14 feet tall and an elongated skull, oooh!) and the most unoriginal looking ship ever.

Spielberg went from this (Close Encounters OT3K):
3rd-kind.jpg

To this uninspired silver disk:
478.jpg

Oh, and a couple hundred peices of rock faithfully rendered by ILM.
:whip:

Montana Smith

HenryJunior said:

To this uninspired silver disk

Being inspired partly by '50s culture, the alien craft was unlikely to be anything other than disc-shaped.

For example, George Adamski had published his Flying Saucers Have Landed in 1953:

Flying+Saucers+Have+Landed+-+Adamski+-+UFO+-+Alien+Contactee+-+Mystery+and+Meaning+-+Peter+Crawford.jpg

And Inside The Space Ships in 1955:

adamski%2Bbook.bmp

(I have an old copy of that wacky book!)

Though it's alleged the 'saucer' shape was a misinterpretation. Originally the UFOs were described as flying like a spinning saucer, not shaped like one.

HenryJunior

By uninspired I meant an image that has been ingrained in most people's minds and has been way over used. I simply meant they should have gone for something that was a little more unique.

Cool books btw Montana, I love old covers like that.:D

Montana Smith

HenryJunior said:
By uninspired I meant an image that has been ingrained in most people's minds and has been way over used. I simply meant they should have gone for something that was a little more unique.

That's the issue. Lucas wanted something typically '50s.

HenryJunior said:
Cool books btw Montana, I love old covers like that.:D

(y)

But my copy is the not so appealing 1967 re-issue with amended title:

insideships.jpg

Marshall2288

HenryJunior said:
I'm glad there are those who liked aliens, but I think it broke the pattern set from other films, and if Aliens had to be done it could have been so much better. There should have been less answers given and much more mystery to them. Instead we see a typical Grey alien (albeit 14 feet tall and an elongated skull, oooh!) and the most unoriginal looking ship ever.

3rd-kind.jpg

To this uninspired silver disk:
478.jpg

Oh, and a couple hundred peices of rock faithfully rendered by ILM.
:whip:

About those rocks. Anyone else think that standing that close to flying rocks is crazy? Everytime I watch that I'm like "Get down!"

Toht's Arm

Marshall2288 said:
About those rocks. Anyone else think that standing that close to flying rocks is crazy? Everytime I watch that I'm like "Get down!"

It's almost as if Harrison didn't know what kind of CGI trickery was going to be added in post-production. Oh, wait... :p

Similar criticisms were aimed at the SW prequels, for instance when General Grievous pulled out four light sabers and Obi Wan didn't flinch or even respond in the slightest...

Montana Smith

Marshall2288 said:

"Son, you ought to come up here and get a better look at this."

Benraianajones

Toht's Arm said:
It's almost as if Harrison didn't know what kind of CGI trickery was going to be added in post-production. Oh, wait... :p

Similar criticisms were aimed at the SW prequels, for instance when General Grievous pulled out four light sabers and Obi Wan didn't flinch or even respond in the slightest...

Lol yeah. Not to mention all the dust and fragments. I can forgive the scene though, simply because I think the water all gushing in to the hole and covering the traces looked really nice, followed by the little Last Crusade tune shortly afterwards.

I wish they left more mystery to the aliens to be honest, like I mentioned in earlier post.

I'm confused though. I assume they are stood inside the spacecraft when (where irina is killed?) because all the room is rotating in a circular way around them all. So the inside of the ship was decorated to look like a temple as well whilst it rests there for the return of the 13th skull? Why does a portal generator raise from the roof if they are inside the ship? Why does the portal generator appear at all if the craft comes from out of the ground to vanish? Also the way Ox simply says "its a portal, a fast way to another dimension", makes me think "What?" a little..how does he know it like he's seen one before?

Just wish the end bit was a bit neater to be honest.

Montana Smith

Benraianajones said:
I'm confused though. I assume they are stood inside the spacecraft when (where irina is killed?) because all the room is rotating in a circular way around them all. So the inside of the ship was decorated to look like a temple as well whilst it rests there for the return of the 13th skull? Why does a portal generator raise from the roof if they are inside the ship? Why does the portal generator appear at all if the craft comes from out of the ground to vanish?

That's where "they left more mystery to the aliens" ! :D

Benraianajones said:
Also the way Ox simply says "its a portal, a fast way to another dimension", makes me think "What?" a little..how does he know it like he's seen one before?

The Skull could have told him. Maybe it thought his intellect could handle more knowledge, but it blew his mind instead. So when it came to Indy the Skull considered the puny intellect of man, and revealed only just enough to get him to the temple.

kongisking

Toht's Arm said:

I actually thought Indy not cowering as the rocks flew in front of him to be quite badass. Not an inch of fear...just awe.

...as would surely anyone seeing something like that!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I actually thought Indy not cowering as the rocks flew in front of him to be quite badass. Not an inch of fear...just awe.

...as would surely anyone seeing something like that!

We should think ourselves lucky that Lucas and Spielberg didn't use that scene to set up a repeat of the rolling boulder gag (!)

Mickiana

Montana Smith said:
We should think ourselves lucky that Lucas and Spielberg didn't use that scene to set up a repeat of the rolling boulder gag (!)

But it could have shown Indy call Mutt up to have a look and when Mutt sticks his head up a flying boulder decapitates him. Oh wait, it was a family movie, so we can't have stuff like that.