SOMM the movie

Pale Horse

Staff member
...I'll be looking. Given the amount of corks I have stashed in places all over my house, perhaps a SOMM is the next adventure for me!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Godspeed my good friend. Godspeed. PM me the results.

Whatever the tasting equivilent is of break a leg....

pop a cork?
ice some bourbon?
berry that 'pange....

Pale Horse

Staff member
So...

wifey watched this with me last night. She has a few questions...

When you back in So Cal?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
So...

wifey watched this with me last night. She has a few questions...

When you back in So Cal?

Was just there for a quickie. Probably not until next year. What can I answer? All the guys in the movie are good friends. DLynn is in my tasting group.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dlynn was portrayed well. We were rooting for him.

Questions!

A) Every three years you have to start over, so where is your group currently at?

B) Does everyone fail the tasting, or do people fail theory and service too?

C) Are spirits and cigars really something that is tested?

D) How will the doors open up, should I go forward with becoming an AS? ~ MS, while Brian is right, there's that "Oh this is impossible, I want to try" aspect to it, MS prolly isn't right for me.

E) Are Temecula wines really that influential, as the marketing locally would have you believe. I don't think so, personally, tasting 'em. I know tasting in the end is subjective, but if you have the opportunity to drink a better wine, I'm all for it.

F) We're planning a coastal road trip next year with Jr. We'll be going through prime areas, including (fingers crossed) a trip on the 29. I'll keep you postesd.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Dlynn was portrayed well. We were rooting for him.

Questions!

A) Every three years you have to start over, so where is your group currently at?
Well right now I am at zero. I have reset. I have passed tasting and service.

B) Does everyone fail the tasting, or do people fail theory and service too?
No, very few people pass all three on the first attempt and we all have our areas. For me theory. Others, like the movie, is tasting, and many is service. The movie just happened to find some stuck on tasting. It is also the most fun to watch.

C) Are spirits and cigars really something that is tested?
YEs, spirits and Beer is VERY important. Production styles, details, temperatures, we even blind taste or smell spirits. You have to know about 300 cocktails.

D) How will the doors open up, should I go forward with becoming an AS? ~ MS, while Brian is right, there's that "Oh this is impossible, I want to try" aspect to it, MS prolly isn't right for me.

Depends if you are new to industry and work your tail off and pass you WILL get a good job. But you have to keep. I will not get a better job when I pass - I will pass for me.

E) Are Temecula wines really that influential, as the marketing locally would have you believe. I don't think so, personally, tasting 'em. I know tasting in the end is subjective, but if you have the opportunity to drink a better wine, I'm all for it.

No. for the test they do not exist. I am not sure I have ever had one

F) We're planning a coastal road trip next year with Jr. We'll be going through prime areas, including (fingers crossed) a trip on the 29. I'll keep you posted.

Please do! We can meet and share a glass or more...

roundshort

I am staying away form it. It seems to be a bunch of folks drinking trophies. I might be wrong, but honestly I have zero interest in seeing it.