Possible Explanation about the absence of Unicorns Legacy & Interior World Reprints?

Luke Skywalker

Possible Explanation about the absence of Unicorns Legacy & Interior World Reprints?

I'm re-reading the novels and i noticed three things:

1- Unicorn's Legacy and Interior's World have intertwined continuity more than any other novel so far (I mean, from Delphi to Sky Pirates as they are the ones i have already re-read)

2- Somehow indy works again at the University of London in Sky Pirates, and is in good terms with the director. He had lived in the US since Genesis deluge to Interior World (three years) and there is no explanation of how he has been re-hired by London's College (I still have to finish Pirates though).

3- Seeing that it is more feasible a (non-explained) re-hire just after Genesis Deluge than after Interior's World, and due to interior's World being a little too fantasy (in the same vein KOTCS is too sci-fi) AND being another book about a 'hollow earth', they may have skipped these two books on purpose.

Maybe even to deference to MCGregor, they have hired him to do two new books... (and killing two birds with the same stone, check if a new book line would sell well)

What do you think?

DIrishB

Um, I don't know...I had no problem obtaining reprints of those, and saw them at my mall bookstore today. Amazon has the reprints readily available as well.

So, yeah, I don't think they're "skipping" these two, reprints or continuity retconning wise. They may have had a more fantasy inspired element, but a Unicorn horn and magical powers aren't any more unbelievable to me than the Ark, the Sankara Stones, the Holy Grail, or a Crystal Skull (ok, that one was hard to swallow). Its definitly a different vein of the fantastic (not being necessarily religous based artifacts), but I think Interior World and Unicorn's Legacy were decent reads, and see no reason for them to be retconned out of Indy (expanded universe) continuity.

Luke Skywalker

I thought i read that the new reprints didnt listed those two books in the novel list that is put on the covers. (the 'collect these other indy adventures' thing)

I dont have any problem with the Unicorn's Horn both articaft and novel, but the Interior world was maybe too much, even if i enjoyed it nevertheless.

DIrishB

Luke Skywalker said:
I thought i read that the new reprints didnt listed those two books in the novel list that is put on the covers. (the 'collect these other indy adventures' thing)

I honestly hadn't noticed that. I'll have to look at them when I get home to double check. I don't know, I know I got reprints of them.

I dont have any problem with the Unicorn's Horn both articaft and novel, but the Interior world was maybe too much, even if i enjoyed it nevertheless.

I know what you mean, and to some element I agree. But then again, look at how Fate of Atlantis ended. Many consider it the greatest Indy video game ever, but the ending was definitly over the top. Still, its a great game for sure, both in gameplay and storyline. Point is, I think the expanded universe stuff has a lot more leeway and room to get away with that over the top, out of this world, utterly fantastic elements.

Crack that whip

Luke Skywalker said:
My theory cripples a little. Reading theough Pirates, they say Indy was on Sabbatical from Princeton University, and was doing some classes in london so he could apply for some digging sites offered there.

As you can see the official shop only sells a pack with 10 books:
http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=1219514

Yeah, I actually started a thread on that a while ago. I, too, am (obviously) mystified by the peculiar exclusion of those two books from the set and their seemingly reduced availability in general, even though they are still available in new reprints like the other ten.

:confused:

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
Yeah, I actually started a thread on that a while ago. I, too, am (obviously) mystified by the peculiar exclusion of those two books from the set and their seemingly reduced availability in general, even though they are still available in new reprints like the other ten.

:confused:

It could be as simple as they might not have printed all the novels in equal ratios. Maybe back during their initial release those two were the poorest selling, so they are re-releasing them in smaller capacities?

I don't know. But despite the 10-pack excluding them, I personally haven't seen any evidence that these two books are "limited" any more than the others (which really isn't at all).

Crack that whip

Oh, indeed; I've mentioned myself that they are in fact readily available. I just find it really odd that they're not included in that set of ten books.

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
Oh, indeed; I've mentioned myself that they are in fact readily available. I just find it really odd that they're not included in that set of ten books.

It could be that (for a multitude of reasons), they could only include a maximum of ten books in the set and skipped those two. It could be to balance out the authors (4 for MacGregor, 2 for Caidin, and 4 for McCoy), based on sales of the original releases, something completely arbitrary or something else. Who knows?

Luke Skywalker

But are there two books the re-print of 2008 (like the other 10) or just remaining stock from the second printings from the late 90's early 2000's, that is when I bought mine.

If the covers match the 2008 reprints then they are new, if not, they arent.

For example, they have erased the 'by' word in the front cover (by Rob McGregor...) in every novel that had it in the past. (the McCoy novels never had it on their 1st printing)

DIrishB

Luke Skywalker said:
But are there two books the re-print of 2008 (like the other 10) or just remaining stock from the second printings from the late 90's early 2000's, that is when I bought mine.

If the covers match the 2008 reprints then they are new, if not, they arent.

For example, they have erased the 'by' word in the front cover (by Rob McGregor...) in every novel that had it in the past. (the McCoy novels never had it on their 1st printing)

All of the ones I have are new reprints (including Unicorn's Horn and Interior World). Thats what I've been trying to say:

ALL of the novels are NEW reprints (printed in 2008), not just old leftover reprints from the 90's or early 2000's. So there's no "by Rob MacGregor", just the novel name and Rob's name...no "by".

Luke Skywalker

Ok, thanks for the info.

Really the marketing move in the novels pack is by the least puzzling.

BTW, if its not much problem, could you make a photo of the spines of the reprint novels? I would like to re-buy two that i have second hand, but i wont if the layout is different. I live in Spain and cannot go to the scote and check it myself. :( I would be most grateful if you could (i asked it on another thread but nobody had them.)

DIrishB

Luke Skywalker said:
Ok, thanks for the info.

Really the marketing move in the novels pack is by the least puzzling.

BTW, if its not much problem, could you make a photo of the spines of the reprint novels? I would like to re-buy two that i have second hand, but i wont if the layout is different. I live in Spain and cannot go to the scote and check it myself. :( I would be most grateful if you could (i asked it on another thread but nobody had them.)

Yeah, I just have to borrow my parents' digital camera. My friend has one but he's sort of a wannabe photographer and knows I probably will forget to bring it back to him until I next see him (which is once a week). Anyway, I'll borrow my parents' when I go over their place next weekend for dinner. So I should have pics up for you next week.

Goonie

I ordered Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy from Chapters. It came in yesterday. What I received is not a 2008 edition. This one still has the 1992 copyright date. However, the back cover has a website address for Bantam. I don't think books from 1992 had web addresses on them.

I'm happy now. I finally got all 12 Bantam novels. (y)