If you weren't an Indy fan...

indyjones2131

What would you think of these trailers and this movie so far?

If you were just one of those folks who enjoyed Raiders, but not obsessed with it, would you think this movie looked like something you would want to see?

I was thinking about what Lucas said about the fans having the movie in there minds already and therefore not being able to really enjoy it and I realized I was one of them. The only things I've heard so far that have been negative are things related to the Indy universe - not the movie itself. I was so concerned with scrutinizing every little detail, I forgot to step back and just enjoy it.

Well, I did just that. I stepped back and looked at this not as a fan(atic) but as a movie goer and I have to be honest....
It looks like one hell of a great adventure. Looks like a damn good movie to me!

I am now more excited than ever.

Michael24

Most likely. I'm a fan, but not obsessive, and while I've waited 19 years for a new movie, I can't say I've ever really "formulated" one in my head, so I'm honestly not going in with plans to hold it up to some ideal standard as to what I think it should be like. I'm just going in expecting some good fun and action for two hours. :)

Adamwankenobi

Hmm. If I were a "regular" person my age (19), I'd probably lump it in with National Treasure at first, but still have curiosity about Harrison Ford returning. So yeah, I'd definately be intrigued. I probably wouldn't be going to see it opening day, but I'd "catch it on".

acsgrlie

I agree. If I were a "normal" 19 year old, I'd say it looks like a great adventure film. I'd maybe be a little more skeptical of Harrison Ford returning, but love the fact that they bought in Shia Labeouf.

The_Raiders

As a 15 year old any thing with big explosions, fighting, and action is a great movie on my list, so just if I saw the trailers yeah I'd defenetly want to go see it.

crowmagnumman

If I weren't already an Indy fan I would probably be a lot less interested in the film. I don't think the trailers are doing the film justice really.

James

I've been a fan too long to really be able to answer this. But what does surprise me is the fact that it appears to contain many elements I had always hoped would be in a fourth movie. Of course, this is just based on what I 'think' is going to be in the film and a few things I do know such as the film's running time.

Other than that, I think the general perception of most people is that it will be a good adventure film. The series has a great reputation for maintaining a high standard of quality, and this entry looks as though it will uphold it. I've had a lot of people who don't follow movies at all mention the fact that a new Indy film is coming out.

No Ticket

I know I'd go see it. Because I already know I'd like Indiana Jones if I gave it a chance. lol.

Seriously, it looks pretty good to me based off the second trailer. If I weren't a fan already I'd be checking out the old movies right now.

|ZiR|

If I was completely unaware of the IJ franchise (which I actually was until little over a year ago...) I'd probably wait until the DVD.

I mean, who are the major stars in the film? Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Cate Blanchette, and Shia LaBeouf. Ford's been pretty hit or miss since the mid 90s, and the others wouldn't be a major draw for me either. Especially not Allen if I hadn't seen Raiders.

It looks like a fun adventure movie in the same vein as The Mummy that I'd go see with a large group of friends, but not something I'd seek out on my own.

jamiestarr

Here's the deal:

This could be the very 1st Indiana Jones movie and a MASSIVE amount of youth and newbies would go see it because it is being sold to them and hyped so much. Sure, this is the 4th Indy flick so nostalgia is a big factor---more so for older viewers. Bottom line, this movie is being promoted and sold effectively---regardless of the past Indiana Jones flicks this movie would have a HUGE opening weekend.

Agent Z

indyjones2131 said:
I was thinking about what Lucas said about the fans having the movie in there minds already and therefore not being able to really enjoy it and I realized I was one of them. The only things I've heard so far that have been negative are things related to the Indy universe - not the movie itself. I was so concerned with scrutinizing every little detail, I forgot to step back and just enjoy it.

Well, I did just that. I stepped back and looked at this not as a fan(atic) but as a movie goer and I have to be honest....

Many people lumped Lucas for those comments, saying that he was basically trying to soften the fanboy blows to come down the road, but he makes a great point. Remove all the hype and speculation and you have a story at the end of the day. The story is all that really matters in the end. Can you give me interesting characters and an interesting situation that will draw me in? It all goes back to campfire tales. Really, the technology has changed and we can dress the stories up, but at their most basic level, we are going to gather around a campfire on the 22nd, pass some marshmallows around to be roasted, and settle in for the latest tale. I, for one, can't wait! :)

Indy"Ale" Jones

Indiana Jones is such an iconic movie character and has been since 1981 so I think that even the casual moviegoer who is not a "fan" will be intrigued by this. The T.V. spots look great, the marketing campaign is out there getting people interested, so I think a lot of non fans will probably head out to the theaters on May 22. On a side note, my daughter who is only five yells at me to come watch everytime a commercial for Indy comes on, be it cereal, Dr. Pepper, or the movie spots, she also likes to watch ToD from beginning to end. She even asks me if she will get to watch it because it is PG-13.

Agent Z

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
On a side note, my daughter who is only five yells at me to come watch everytime a commercial for Indy comes on, be it cereal, Dr. Pepper, or the movie spots, she also likes to watch ToD from beginning to end. She even asks me if she will get to watch it because it is PG-13.

That's cute devotion, but it has obviously come from the proper coaching as well. :p :whip:

Indy is iconic, just like Bond, Spider-Man, Superman, Luke Skywalker, and Bruce Lee. People just know them. :)

Dr Jones

Keeping my biast-side...aside, I honestly think this could appeal to lots of new fans!

It's rooted with shots that really use stuntwork and set pieces, rather than CGI and shots that are too unbelievable to be exciting (Hulk, Iron Man maybe?).

It's got a good looking cast, Shia for youth and I hope people recognise Harrison at least as Indiana Jones! If you've not followed his adventures, you must at least twig the name and iconography.

That coupled with pulse pounding music, fast cut action and mythical adventure...it's sure to take a few new fans to the next stage of Indy-lore!

:gun: