Braveheart and Gladiator

Pale Horse

Staff member
Ok how about a good ol' debate thread?

If William Wallace was walking down the street and ran into Maximus (myname is to long to remember) and the two of them got into a fight; who would win and why?

EvilNazi

i think maximus

beacuse hes bigger and he could beat an emperor and that altough he had a stab wound on his back.

wallace is just a human being, maximus is the rambo of ancient rome.

but i would support wallace

swords

Wallace I guess[?]

But your underlining message is thoughtful, two epics worth comparing indeed!

I think it was "BraveHeart" which really brought realism in battle not seen or heard before. But if I were to favor one, it would problably be "Gladiator" since I have an somewhat passionate, be it small, alright, okay, how about interest in Roman history. And its cool to hear the emperor call Maximus "Hannibal and his barbaric hordes!" like its the greatest taboo ever back in the day...

Patrick

Well, I haven't seen Gladiator, only the start. I think William Wallace would win though because in the start, Russel Crowe got knocked down like 3 times and William would take advantage of that.

EvilNazi

if we are talking about the movies, i like ancient rome better than the middle ages. but still, Braveheart is a much more deeper movie than "gladiator", more realistic (although there are some things that never happened like wallace entering York) and the battle scenes are unique and original. the best fight scenes i have ever seen together with the ones from Saving Private Ryan.
Gladiator is cool and is well directed, but you can recognize that ridley scott did it, because he uses the same style in Hannibal scene.

EvilNazi

thats a good question. passion can be a very strong motivation and can give you strength and makes you unstoppable but maybe also clumpsy. someone who is cold and intelligent, doesnt have passion on his side, but can take advantage of someobody else's passion.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I myself, am a believer in the fact that Wallace would win, based on passion.

Consider the American court system. More murderers are convicted based on passion, then on skill.

we won't get into the "Police" song, either

EvilNazi

no, he wasnt. comodus and his father were real. but the time is all mixed up. i dont remember why, but the year shown in the movie doesnt agree with the real facts that happen in the movie.

Pale Horse said:
The true question may be "what is more deadly to an opponant, passion or skill?"

Wallace was shrewd as well...

Hand to hand or weapons? Which weapons. Wallace with a Hammer over Maximus with a sword?

Maybe they're destined to battle each other across eternity...

Dr Bones

Pale Horse said:
I myself, am a believer in the fact that Wallace would win, based on passion.
[/b]

I assume Wallace and Maximus are fighting for no cause other than survival/glory in our match up, therefore Wallace's passion is not a factor.

Skill and experiance should win out but it's debatable who had the upper hand here too.

Maximus, a general of Rome, the greatest military power in the world of it's time, a battle hardened soldier and finally a gladiator fighting for his life

Wallace, a passionate freedom fighter, a leader, skilled and tactically adept, able to defeat enemies of superior numbers, skill, waepons etc.

Crowe vs Gibson....my money's on Crowe. In real life..a Roman General may be limited in his hands on experience, gladiators were often just blood lust fodder and so did the real Wallace have enough real hand to hand skill to give him an edge?

My gut still says gladiator though. Just all round tougher, trained and prepared for one to one combat to the death.

I aways thought Gladiator borrowed slightly from Braveheart.

teampunk

gladiators did nothing but train for combat. if they survived for three years they gained their freedom. the best gladiators were like our modern day athleates while wallace was a barbarian living in the wilds of scottland. any semi-skilled gladiator would wipe the floor with wallace. watch spartacus sand and blood. it shows pretty much how gladiators lived.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr Bones said:
Maximus, a general of Rome, the greatest military power in the world of it's time, a battle hardened soldier and finally a gladiator fighting for his life

Wallace, a passionate freedom fighter, a leader, skilled and tactically adept, able to defeat enemies of superior numbers, skill, waepons etc.

What about fighting through pain. Wallace....all the way. He survived for a time with his bowels outside his body...