Favourite comic book adaption

Supernatural

Another general comic book movie thread. I thought they could be merged.

Plus I forgot Heavy Metal. The original poster had that on their list.

Supernatural

indyclone25 said:
okay after a new slew of superhero movies have been out in recent years , i believe the origin scene in captain america was pretty close to the comic version in feel and essence. and the green latern wasn't that bad either , they took a little from the original hal jordan then spiced it up with the new verion with the corps.
just waiting to see how the avengers works out!(y)

I'm kinda burned out on the Marvel films. I'm looking forward to Man of Steel. ...I think.

Montana Smith

Supernatural said:

...was a good one. Great comics, and an inspired adaption.

I liked Watchmen.

And Hellboy, even though Del Toro and Mignola agreed to veer away from the source material.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, for their dark take on the comics from the era I enjoyed best.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Well, if it was the other way around I would say - in no particular order

Dune - Bill Sienkiewicz (post Moon Knight)

macchio_sienkiewicz_dune.jpg

Blade Runner - The late, great Al Williamson

tumblr_li6bnmDXnd1qh1fiwo1_500.jpg

Alien - Walt Simonson (Pre- Thor)

Alien_00.jpg

M - Jon J Muth

9780810995222.jpg

Worst

Superman - The Quest for a Peace (You think they would be able to improve it...Oh, Curt and Bob what were you thinking...)

Superman_IV_Movie_Special.jpg

In terms of the films - there had been no true 'adapation' of any comic only interperations. Light weight efforts such as From Hell, V for Vendetta have only helped to create a mis-representation of work. In fact, damaging the works.

Prephaps the best is Superman the Movie simply because the comics we so direr the time.

Still, I await the Ambush bug film.

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS!

Nuff Said!

Last edited:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...coulda used a tad more of the comic violence, but overall struck a balance with both that and the cartoon that i could live with

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
featofstrength said:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...coulda used a tad more of the comic violence, but overall struck a balance with both that and the cartoon that i could live with

It was a poor movie where as you shouldn't go wrong with the strong original concept.

TMNT was intended as a gentle parody of Frank Miller 80s work, primarly Ronin and Davedevil, it was a fun comic about normal teenagers who happen to be mutant turtles.

I'm not sure how additional comic violence would really improve the film but if that what you like...

I always thougt The Cherry Orchard needed more comic violence, just to mix things up.

Lyubov: Shall I sell or keep the estate, Peter?
Peter: No. (punches Lyubov in the face)

Lyubov falls to the floor howling in pain. Peter stands over her.

Peter:....funny, yes?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

JuniorJones said:
In terms of the films - there had been no true 'adapation' of any comic only interperations.

That was really brought home to me with Burton's '89 Batman. He killed The Joker!

Nolan then apparently killed Two-Face.

Comic book movies generally become stand alone entities, a brief (and condensed) re-interpretation of a series.

I think Sin City was pretty close to the source material, in story and style. Thouigh I haven't read or watched it in a while to confirm that.

JuniorJones said:
Light weight efforts such as ...V for Vendetta have only helped to create a mis-representation of work. In fact, damaging the works.

I liked V for Vendetta the movie, but never read the comic to compare them.

Supernatural

Montana Smith said:
...was a good one. Great comics, and an inspired adaption.

I liked Watchmen.

And Hellboy, even though Del Toro and Mignola agreed to veer away from the source material.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, for their dark take on the comics from the era I enjoyed best.

DAMN! I forgot Watchmen. Although the ending was A BIT dfferent, I think it might have improved on it.

Ok, that's Watchmen, Popeye, Sin City and Heavy Metal.

Judge Dredd had a great look to it but was ruined by the comedy.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Supernatural said:
DAMN! I forgot Watchmen. Although the ending was A BIT dfferent, I think it might have improved on it.

Ok, that's Watchmen, Popeye, Sin City and Heavy Metal.

Judge Dredd had a great look to it but was ruined by the comedy.

Really, the Watchman film improved the ending?! How excatly, bearing in mind the subext of the comic, was it improved?

Judge Dredd was ruined by a complete lack of understanding of the comic and it's subtext.

Supernatural

JuniorJones said:
Really, the Watchman film improved the ending?! How excatly, bearing in mind the subext of the comic, was it improved?

Judge Dredd was ruined by a complete lack of understanding of the comic and it's subtext.

The giant squid felt too random when put aside Adrian destroying a major city and leaving Jon's energy signature on the blast to make it obvious it was him. Unifying against a familiar enemy and hunting down Jon seems more logical than a confusing alien invasion.

Le Saboteur

Aside from relocating the plot to Tampa Bay, I really enjoyed Thomas Jane's portrayal of Frank Castle in 2004's The Punisher. It's not my favorite, but it came the closest to the spirit of the character.

I'd like to see another flick closer to this in tone...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bWpK0wsnitc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ofacarpenter

Absolutely Richard Donner's Superman. And, even though it kind of did its own thing, i dig Spider Man 2. Btw, Where is a Doctor Strange movie!?!?

Dr. Gonzo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Fritz the Cat

280px-Fritz_description.jpg

Oh man... I spit out beer laughing the first time I saw Fritz...
Even just in the very beginning with those steel workers atop that beam draining the lizard king... I knew it was not gonna be your average animated movie. Screams 70's.

Interesting choice Rocket :hat: