General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Silvor

What Spielberg said can be interpreted in many different ways.
What I took from it:
What he said about leap-frogging between Ford and Hanks movies at the end was clearly just a joke about making one movie with Ford and then another with Hanks forever, it had nothing to do with fans asking for endless Indy sequels.

The way he said the Indy 5 part sounded more matter of fact'y to me.
You'd think he would know better than to bring up Indy 5 if there was nothing at all on the way. He's probably still being asked about it a lot.

All in all it left me with a little more hope for one more Indy with Ford than I had before I watched the video :)

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Here's my big worries about a potential reb**t:

1) That Disney will decide to set the reb**t in the present.
2) That Disney will get the 1930s-1940s wrong.
3) That Disney will attempt to artifically "diversify" the cast/be politically correct
4) That their Indy will be either too light or too dark, and will be shallow.
1) Doubt it. The Disney folks aren't *that* stupid.
2) ABSOLUTELY NOT. If there is one thing Disney does well, it's impressive period detail and they have a long track record to prove it.:rolleyes:
3) Agree with you there. It's almost a certainty. If Indy 5 *isn't* politically correct, I'll eat my hat!
4) Too light will probably be the result (as in, the same level as "Crusade" & "Skull"?or even lighter).

What a laugh, Raiders112390, because there you were defending Disney in that other thread, upset by people's criticisms of the 'Lucasfilm Acquisition', yet now you voice the same type of concerns.;)
Raiders112390 said:
Look at their Marvel movies...
No, I'd rather not. :sick:

IndyForever

Finn said:
I can't believe I just watched through all that to get to the bit, but to save the rest of you the time... it's here, starting at around 37:50, for all who wanna evaluate it. (And thanks to the poster above for not putting up the stamp. Dick.)

There's definitely some horseplay involved with that answer, but how much... well, I guess all that depends on how much one is clinging to hope.
Not sure your referring to me or not as "dick" but if yes perhaps get your facts straight if you are as the video on the page has changed several times. That is why I did not put a link to it when I first viewed the video when it was first posted by yahoo it was embedded into an ad stream so no way to timestamp the content without someone having to watch several annoying ads :whip:

Raiders90

Stoo said:
1) Doubt it. The Disney folks aren't *that* stupid.
2) ABSOLUTELY NOT. If there is one thing Disney does well, it's impressive period detail and they have a long track record to prove it.:rolleyes:
3) Agree with you there. It's almost a certainty. If Indy 5 *isn't* politically correct, I'll eat my hat!
4) Too light will probably be the result (as in, the same level as "Crusade" & "Skull"…or even lighter).

What a laugh, Raiders112390, because there you were defending Disney in that other thread, upset by people's criticisms of the 'Lucasfilm Acquisition', yet now you voice the same type of concerns.;)
No, I'd rather not. :sick:

Opinions change.
I don't really have much faith in Disney to be honest, not with Indy. I also worry that they'll either totally neglect the awkward, nerdy archaeologist side of Indy, or spoof it up and turn his professor side into a lovable doofus full of squee. If the former, think of the way J.J. Abram's Star Trek took a lot of the deeper elements of the original series' (philosophical elements, and social commentary) and turned them into hollow, if fun action films. Indiana Jones is about a dualistic character - part nerd, part action hero, and both roles are played straight. I don't think Disney will "get" that. To them, Indiana Jones = nonstop action, and little emphasis on anything deeper. I don't want to see Indiana Jones become Rick O'Connell or Starlord.

And can you really imagine Disney using say, Nazis as villains? Or actually using a Judeo-Christian religious artifact? That'd offend people in today's ultra sensitive age.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Opinions change.
Indeed, however, your opinions change like the wind. One day something is good and the next day it's bad... so you come across as an erratic, scatter-brain. It's impossible to find out what your true thoughts are.:(
Raiders112390 said:
I don't really have much faith in Disney to be honest, not with Indy.
To them, Indiana Jones = nonstop action, and little emphasis on anything deeper.
This is a major change for you (but it fits with your usual, 180° flips)! On top of that, how do you know what Disney thinks?:confused:
Raiders112390 said:
I don't want to see Indiana Jones become Rick O'Connell or Starlord.
What is "Starlord"?
Raiders112390 said:
And can you really imagine Disney using say, Nazis as villains? Or actually using a Judeo-Christian religious artifact? That'd offend people in today's ultra sensitive age.
Nazis-Schmazis. Who says that NATZIS must be the villains in a potential "Indy 5"?

Yes, I can see them using a Jewish-Christian artifact because it would be much less problematic than anything from the Muslim world.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
...because it would be much less problematic than anything from the Muslim world.

...only because most artifacts from these parts of the world are being destroyed. /s

Political Rant off.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Indeed, however, your opinions change like the wind. One day something is good and the next day it's bad... so you come across as an erratic, scatter-brain. It's impossible to find out what your true thoughts are.:(
This is a major change for you (but it fits with your usual, 180° flips)! On top of that, how do you know what Disney thinks?:confused:
What is "Starlord"?
Nazis-Schmazis. Who says that NATZIS must be the villains in a potential "Indy 5"?

Yes, I can see them using a Jewish-Christian artifact because it would be much less problematic than anything from the Muslim world.

Hey, Stoo, I know you've got this obsessive hard on for me and want me off the site. I wish you'd just come out and SAY IT instead of being a passive aggressive pedantic little douche. You've been at this for years with me. Just say it, man. Say it. Stop *****footing around and be a man and say it.

How do I know? I didn't say I know. I'm speculating. Am I not allowed to do that? Sorry, didn't know I had to make sure my posts were "STOO APPROVED". I don't play by your rules, sorry. You're not a mod. You're not my boss.

Now you've just being purposely idiotic. Starlord. Chris Pratt's character from Guardians of the Galaxy. Don't play stupid with me.

Given that half the films in the series feature Nazis and Indy and Nazis are kind of associated, Nazis would be the safe route to take.

But, look, I'm hitting a brick wall of hate and you're just going to disagree just to be contradictory. So, kindly **** off.

Stoo

Raiders112390,

I've said it before and will say it again: I don't want you off the site! That's NONSENSE. I certainly DO NOT hate you (how many times must this be made clear?) and actually agree with you on certain things (which go ignored).

Never seen (nor want to see) "Security Guards of the Solar System" so how the frick would I know who "Starboy" is?:confused:

NATZIS only work within a given time period and they don't fit for a prequel/sequel to the Harrison Ford films.

You said:
"to them (Disney), Indiana Jones = nonstop action, and little emphasis on anything deeper."
That's not speculation.

Take a chill-pill, man! :cool:

Last edited:

Silvor

"There's a very strong probable chance it's going to happen" Spielberg says, sounds positive :)
Of course it doesn't sound like it's a done deal or anything but he does sound optimistic.
I don't think I've heard Spielberg mention a new Indy film since Crystal Skull was released and now he's talked about it two times in a couple of weeks.
Fingers crossed.

Z dweller

I've got to admit that I'm surprised with Spielberg's attitude.

I genuinely believed that, having done Skulls after years of toing and froing with Lucas, now he really was finished with Indy, mentally.
But clearly that's not the case, or it would be foolish of him to go on the record saying that...

Would he direct Indy 5 if Lucas weren't involved at all, though?
Is Lucas really going to come out of retirement to do Indy 5?

And if so, would they both agree to tone down the violent scenes to comply with Disney's guidelines? It seems unlikely.
A new director would, without a doubt, but the beards? Hmmm...:confused:

IndyForever

Spielberg is so upbeat + optimistic in that video it sounds like he really wants to make it work with Harrison so hopefully in a few months they start working on it seriously.

This is the most positive news Indy 5 with Harrison + Steven has had in many years :hat:

Dana Scully

I guess it all depends if they have a script in place. If they don't, well considering how many versions the KOTCS script went through it doesn't exactly bode well for Indy 5 being filmed before 2020 at least... :dead:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's amazing how all the Google news regurgitators missed the Extra tv exclusive. Thanks to Wilhelm for spotting it! Sifted through other Spielberg interviews and found this Spielberg conference call with college journalists. The eager whelps can't move out of the way of a complete transcript, but then who does?
Spielberg: A hero is a person who doesn’t know they’re heroes. The last person to find out they are heroes, you know, in another words what I'm trying to say is that, you know, I don’t set out to, you know, to glorify a character. You know, if an audience wants to lift a character higher than my point of view as a director that’s absolutely fine and there’s certain characters like Indiana Jones that I hoped audiences will lift way above, way out of my reach and turn them into their heroes... it’s okay to do it I think with, you know, a piece of comic art or real, you know, Saturday matinee popcorn adventure movie.