Which hat to get??

Hi, I currently own a Peters Bros. handmade "Raider" styled fedora. I love it, but the crown is too tall and a little tight. I have been looking at the "Henry" by AdentureBilt and also the "Herbert Johnson" fedora- Cairo style by Todd's Costume. Which do you guys think is better?
I was also wondering if anyone has bought a hat from Todd's and how accurate is the crown. I mean the pictures look great, but pictures can always lie.
I know if I went with the Henry, I won't be dissapointed, but I really like the design on the Cairo.
What do you guys think?
HTML:
http://toddscostumes.com/indy/HJ%20Indiana%20Jones%20Fedora/indiana_jones_style_hat_cairo%20style.htm

penman hats

Don't waste your money on a DP.

I would say out of the 2 choices you have given AB Henry or the Todds HJ. Hands down the AB Henry.

AB Henry

- better block shape
- rabbit beaver blend ( beaver giving it a little more body and pounces out nicer)
- right ribbon
- ribbon stitched on better
- sweatband much better

Todd's HJ

- not a good block shape for Raiders
- wrong ribbon
- stitched on poorly
- felt is rabbit and has to much air in it.

penman hats

HJ?mag Was being made by Steve from Adventurebilt.

-right block shape
-right ribbon
- he re-furbishes them so they get the treatment of a hatter working on them and being blocked correctly.

All the other HJ's the Chirsty's are dry block and part of the reason they tapper so fast. The other reason is the felt has a lot of air in it. Not a thing you want in the felt of a hat that might see some heat and rain.

Steve does stablize the felt to improve it.

John

penman hats

Just because it say's it's crushable doesn't mean it wont tapper or shrink. The rain and it will go on you. Any well made fedora you can crush in your hands and it will pop back into the crease/shape it was put into.

indyclone25

i bought a dorfman and i love it --- granted it doesnt have the look as some of the other more expensive hat but my hat hat has gone thru rain storms and lately snow storms as i wear it out to shovel the drive and walks --- but eventually i would like to spend a few hundred to buy me a nice indy raiders style hat .----i also put a new band around the hat about 4 months ago and it looks awesome , better than the brown ribbon on the hat when i first got it
newribbon002-1.jpg

mjwt6.jpg

Dr. Wolfwood

I've got both the wool felt DP and the fur felt DP, but I also have the Akubra Federation Deluxe IV (the exchange rate is VERY nice at the moment and Akubra is cheaper than the fur felt DP). The wool felt DP got distorted after a year of use and some rainy days. The fur felt still looks like it did the day I bought it, but I did not really like its cardboard feel - it is a very hard hat and not at all as soft as fedoras are supposed to be (not even mentioning the tapering crown and safari brim).

The Akubra is simply a hat to love - I've had it only since December and I'm sure I'll never go back to the DPs. Nor do I plan to buy anything more expensive in the future (mostly because I don't want a(n exaggerated) Raiders Indy hat).

Dr. Wolfwood

penman hats said:
What is an exaggerated raiders Indy hat?
Some Raiders Indy bashes I've seen exaggerate the Raiders swoop - or at least it looks very exaggerated when worn by a person who doesn't have a similar facial/skull structure as Harrison Ford does. The fact that the usual wearers of such hats are relatively skinny teenagers only makes the look even more wrong.

Personally, I don't even want to go for an all-out Indy bash, and have instead worked on my hat to make it look good on me (or at least I think so). I sort of think that that is what most hat-wearers should go for, instead of trying to get a hat/bash that looks far too costumey on them.

That said, I actually like the swoop I've seen in your work.

penman hats

I think what you are seeing is someone who turned the hat too much. I also think people exaggerate some of the things of the Raiders hat.