S&W Revolver

Montana Smith

Ah, America the land of the free where you can not only buy replicas of modern-looking guns, but the real things as well.

In the UK gun laws mean that retailers can't even sell replicas representing guns made after 1870, unless you can prove you want them for use in film, theatre, display or a museum.

Last weekend I managed to pick up second hand a replica of a 1873 (horror of horrors!) US Cavalary Colt .45!

I would love to own a 1917 S&W or a Webley Green replica, but had to make do with a Winchester '66 and Colt .36, to add to the 1873 Colt .45 Peacemaker that I've had for years, before the handgun bans came in after the Hungerford shooting.

With modern looking weapons the best option we have are airsoft guns, but I think that even realistic versions of these are going to become harder to get. I have a pretty good looking Hechler & Koch MP5, and a Walther P99.

But still no 1917 S&W or Webley! :( (The nearest I got was an original holster for a Webley!)

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss104/GreenGang/Indiana Jones/

lguerra

Wow, you think it would b easier to get a webley in the UK ! Here in the Wild West you can find almost anything!The gun laws are crazy, Its like who doesn't have a gun:gun: Air soft is a good substitute the gas are the way to go, we used them in the military to train with 6mm paint rounds and they make revolvers!

Montana Smith

lguerra said:
Wow, you think it would b easier to get a webley in the UK ! Here in the Wild West you can find almost anything!The gun laws are crazy, Its like who doesn't have a gun:gun: Air soft is a good substitute the gas are the way to go, we used them in the military to train with 6mm paint rounds and they make revolvers!

My neighbour recently came back from visiting his brother in Oklahoma. Everyone in his brother's family had at least one gun. He handed my neighbour a pump-action shotgun, upon which he asked casually: "Is it loaded?"

"Of, course," replied his brother, "what's the point of having an empty gun in the house!" :eek:

My neighbour, who's now in his 80s, has been a wild west nut for many years, and was friends with an ex-SAS chap who lived in our village. Not only did the ex-SAS guy have a huge collection of firearms, including his service 9mm, but he also had a belt with a buckle that concealed a loaded .22 Derringer, which he wore on numerous occasions through customs when taking flights in and out of the country.

Needless to say that the gun laws are much tighter now!

Last edited:

lguerra

Wow that's crazy. The laws here for caring a gun are crazy . To conceal needs a permit like usual is 70 dollars and a one day class .But to carry on your side or open is ok . There was a guy yesterday at breakfast had a glock 17 sitting on his table like nothing ,and a few months ago there were protesters when they passed that law were walking down the street with M4 slung around their shoulders just to prove they could .I have a few guns at home but their locked up in a safe and their never loaded, but i am in the city not in Oklahoma where you have to deal with wildlife. :gun:

Thundermug

I just ordered a Webley .38 (it may actually be an Enfield) from a gun shop in Delaware. I just happened upon it when I was on vacation.

Its smaller than the .455, but the ammo is easier to find. I actually found that Royal Canadian Mounted Police used a leather flap holster for their .38 revolvers. They fit the .38 Webley/Enfields nicely.

I'm in Illinois, so I have to get a FOID card before they will ship the gun. The card should be here in 3-12 weeks. . .but I won't get into politics here. This is a no-stress zone for me.

Pics to come!

indyclone25

Thundermug said:
I just ordered a Webley .38 (it may actually be an Enfield) from a gun shop in Delaware. I just happened upon it when I was on vacation.

Its smaller than the .455, but the ammo is easier to find. I actually found that Royal Canadian Mounted Police used a leather flap holster for their .38 revolvers. They fit the .38 Webley/Enfields nicely.

I'm in Illinois, so I have to get a FOID card before they will ship the gun. The card should be here in 3-12 weeks. . .but I won't get into politics here. This is a no-stress zone for me.

Pics to come!
yes just as you dont' bring it into the garage or the porch or the front yard , the city doesnt consider it your "house". but i just bought a resin casted s&w and finished painting that last night ,

Montana Smith

Eric Solo said:

And approaching a year later, they still have them available. (Though the barrel is still 1.5" too long).

There's a UK site offering a deactivated SW .38 Victory for £165 plus delivery. (5" barrel, though).

97133.jpg

http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm?p_n=97133&p_i=97133

Produced from 1940 to 1945 by the Americans under the lease lend project for the British Government who were desperately short of weapons. A 6-shot double action revolver with hand ejector, matt finish and plain wooden grips. Full S&W markings. Excellent Condition. It was a standard British WW2 Sidearm alongside the Webley MK IV.

I think they've had this for sale for as long as the one Eric Solo linked to.

It makes me even happier that I finally found an-almost Indy gun: Blank-firing S&W Model 19, .357, 4" barrel. Heavy metal, fully working double action, hand ejector, swing out loadable chamber.

If anyone is looking for something similar, especially here in the UK or in parts of Europe where gun laws are much stricter, the only advice I can give is look out for older replicas. Mine was by MGC of Japan, probably from the mid-80s. Beware, though. While the gun is fully metal, the grips are nasty plastic, but these can be unscrewed and replaced with genuine S&W grips.

More recent replicas seem to be mostly made from ABS plastic mixed with iron filings to give them weight. However, even those listed as "heavyweight", are, even from the loaded weights specified, decidedly lightweight.

Dr. Wolfwood

The awfully strict weapon laws in the UK are the single reason why I haven't moved there. It would be awful to let go of my sword collection when moving there... :(

Thundermug

My Enfield No2 Mk1** revolver - .380 1944

It took a while to get, but here it is with some grips I made for it. The originals are ugly and made of Bakelite. I am working on a new pair of grips with tighter, more precise checkering (carved lines).

5159176529_dd0c55dfed_b.jpg