Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Grizzlor

I don't think George cares anymore. He's almost 70 right? I think he only cares that good people will be working on the franchises.

Henry W Jones

You know, with all the Indy merchandise Disney has produced and the rides they must have some sort of dialog open with Paramount already. And if they do get the rights eventually, make another film, will the opening fade in from the Disney castle? Will they change the originals opening to match? :p

Raiders90

It's amazing how people forgot how much they hated George Lucas, how quickly they forgot about CGI gophers and KOTCS...People are acting like Disney stole Lucasfilm or something and like the prequels never happened and like George never destroyed the negatives of the original untouched Star Wars films just out of spite...I mean really, Disney isn't all about princesses and Mickey Mouse.

Henry W Jones

Raiders112390 said:
It's amazing how people forgot how much they hated George Lucas, how quickly they forgot about CGI gophers and KOTCS...People are acting like Disney stole Lucasfilm or something and like the prequels never happened and like George never destroyed the negatives of the original untouched Star Wars films just out of spite...I mean really, Disney isn't all about princesses and Mickey Mouse.

I doubt he destroyed the negatives.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
It's amazing how people forgot how much they hated George Lucas, how quickly they forgot about CGI gophers and KOTCS...

Who's forgotten? :confused:

Raiders112390 said:
People are acting like Disney stole Lucasfilm or something and like the prequels never happened and like George never destroyed the negatives of the original untouched Star Wars films just out of spite...I mean really, Disney isn't all about princesses and Mickey Mouse.

And Star Wars isn't all about princesses and Jar Jar Binks.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
And Star Wars isn't all about princesses and Jar Jar Binks.

The Prequels were. They were about a Princess, Jar Jar Binks, Midichlorians, sand, Anakin being unalikable, borderline evil whiner well before he turned to the Dark Side; They're about Greedo not shooting first and Vader screaming "NOOOO!" as he throws The Emperor over him.

"Jar Jar is the key to all this." - George Lucas in the Making of the Phantom Menace Documentary.

Raiders90

Henry W Jones said:

It's been claimed he has by reputable sources. Would you doubt that he did?
There was a point or phase that he went through which was very spiteful, where he detested the original untouched films and made it clear that as long as he breathed, they would never be re-released:

"There will only be one. And it won't be what I would call the 'rought cut', it'll be the 'final cut.' The other one will be some sort of interesting artifact that people will look at and say, 'There was an earlier draft of this.'...What ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody is going to remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition]...I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's, to go back and reinvent a movie."

"The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it...to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be

Henry W Jones

Raiders112390 said:
It's been claimed he has by reputable sources. Would you doubt that he did?

Henry W Jones said:

Raiders112390 said:
There was a point or phase that he went through which was very spiteful, where he detested the original untouched films and made it clear that as long as he breathed, they would never be re-released:

Where is the quotes about him being "spiteful" about it? I always felt he just wasn't happy with the finished product of the original.

"The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it...to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be"

And yet he still released it on DVD and it will live on. But whether you like it or not, it's his creation to do with as he pleases.

And if you want the originals, spend some money and buy the set below. Untouched and pure 70's/80's Star Wars on DVD. Then you can stop complaining.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-TRILOGY-DVD-EPISODES-IV-V-VI-BESTBUY-EXCLUSIVE-COLLECTIBLE-TIN-NEW-/360507610149?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item53efed9425

Last edited:

Raiders90

Henry W Jones said:
Where is the quotes about him being "spiteful" about it? I always felt he just wasn't happy with the finished product of the original.

"The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it...to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be"

And yet he still released it on DVD and it will live on. But whether you like it or not, it's his creation to do with as he pleases.

And if you want the originals, spend some money and buy the set below. Untouched and pure 70's/80's Star Wars on DVD. Then you can stop complaining.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-TRILOGY-DVD-EPISODES-IV-V-VI-BESTBUY-EXCLUSIVE-COLLECTIBLE-TIN-NEW-/360507610149?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item53efed9425

It's spite because he knows that the untouched originals are what the fans want and doesn't care. This is a guy who goes around wearing a "Han Shot First" T-Shirt, mocking the fans being upset about that major and stupid change to the series.
What he was released was a complete "f--k you" to the fans. He released non-anthropomorphic, bootleg quality Laserdisk transfers. Are you telling me that Laserdisk transfers are the best he could do? It'd be very easy for him to remaster the originals and offer them up alongside his new versions.

Hell, Ridley Scott made a five disc collection of Blade Runner--all five discs were different versions, all remastered versions and made to DVD quality in both audio and video, including the work print, the theatrical version, several other versions, along with what Scott feels is the "definitive" version, his Final Cut. But he made all versions available and equal in quality in the same set--Lucas on the other hand offered the original films at bootleg quality, simply transferred from Laserdisk.

Yes, I get the "it's his creation" argument that he and his apologists use. But at the same time, those original films are part of film history. They're part of American culture. They're also what made him wealthy in the first place. Even if he considers them unfinished, he could at least throw the fans who went en masse to see them and made him a wealthy man back in the 70s and 80s a bone and re-release them in a better quality than crappy looking Laserdisk transfers.

Raiders90

Lucas is the same guy who prevented us from seeing a fourth Indiana Jones film for nearly 20 years because of his stubborn refusal to deviate from a fundamental idea that the other two parties involved hated. Ford and Spielberg made it clear that they did not want to do an Indiana Jones film with aliens. Lucas stamped his feet and said it's either this or nothing for about a decade and a half and then finally changed the "aliens" to "interdimensional beings" and tossed in a more traditional bent to the story, and Spielberg resigned himself to doing it before Harrison got too old--and as a result of Lucas' stubborn refusal to collaborate, we got a film which got mixed to negative reviews even amongst hardcore fans and a film that is generally regarded by the public as one of the worst sequels ever produced.

Because of his ego and stubbornness, the public's perception of Indiana Jones went from him riding triumphantly into the sunset in 1989 to being raped by Lucas and Spielberg in a South Park episode.

Henry W Jones

Raiders112390 said:
It's spite because he knows that the untouched originals are what the fans want and doesn't care. This is a guy who goes around wearing a "Han Shot First" T-Shirt, mocking the fans being upset about that major and stupid change to the series.
What he was released was a complete "f--k you" to the fans. He released non-anthropomorphic, bootleg quality Laserdisk transfers. Are you telling me that Laserdisk transfers are the best he could do? It'd be very easy for him to remaster the originals and offer them up alongside his new versions.

Hell, Ridley Scott made a five disc collection of Blade Runner--all five discs were different versions, all remastered versions and made to DVD quality in both audio and video, including the work print, the theatrical version, several other versions, along with what Scott feels is the "definitive" version, his Final Cut. But he made all versions available and equal in quality in the same set--Lucas on the other hand offered the original films at bootleg quality, simply transferred from Laserdisk.

Yes, I get the "it's his creation" argument that he and his apologists use. But at the same time, those original films are part of film history. They're part of American culture. They're also what made him wealthy in the first place. Even if he considers them unfinished, he could at least throw the fans who went en masse to see them and made him a wealthy man back in the 70s and 80s a bone and re-release them in a better quality than crappy looking Laserdisk transfers.

But if you want them original than the quality is about right. If you clean it up, you are altering it. I also am not an apologist, I don't and he doesn't need to apologize to you or anyone else. He gave you original prints on DVD in basically the quality they were originally released. (They are a quite a bit better than bootleg) Re-did a few parts in the film he did not like and changed some things we don't like and if we don't like them we shouldn't watch them. But wasting energy complaining about Han not shooting first, 15 years later, is a little bit much. Yeah, it was cooler in the original but now they shoot at the same time. We can overlook these things and enjoy the films still or we can whine and ***** like Anakin and suck all the fun out of it for ourselves. I agree there are some bad changes but what are you gonna do?:hat:

Raiders90

Henry W Jones said:
But if you want them original than the quality is about right. If you clean it up, you are altering it. I also am not an apologist, I don't and he doesn't need to apologize to you or anyone else. He gave you original prints on DVD in basically the quality they were originally released. (They are a quite a bit better than bootleg) Re-did a few parts in the film he did not like and changed some things we don't like and if we don't like them we shouldn't watch them. But wasting energy complaining about Han not shooting first, 15 years later, is a little bit much. Yeah, it was cooler in the original but now they shoot at the same time. We can overlook these things and enjoy the films still or we can whine and ***** like Anakin and suck all the fun out of it for ourselves. I agree there are some bad changes but what are you gonna do?:hat:

No, a crappy second generation Laserdisck transfer does not equal the quality of the original theatrical print. If you "clean it up", you're basically restoring it to the video quality it was when it was first shown. You're being technical about this, like many Lucas fanboys. You're playing semantics. He gave the original films in subpar quality. A second generation transfer is not the same as the original negative being restored to it's theatrical release. Not the quality they were when released. You're splitting hairs and you know it. I suppose every home release and DVD release of Indiana Jones constitutes an altered version, because it's made to look as it did when it was first out?

They shoot at the same time? Do you have any idea how stupid that is? Overlook something that changes the character or characters?

So, if Lucas edited the Arab Swordsman scene in Raiders so that the Swordsman threw a scimitar at Indy, only to have Indy (digitally) dodge it, exactly as he shoots the Swordsman, you'd be ok with that?

indyrcks

Do you think Disney will reboot the Indiana Jones series or continue where it left off after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull :)

indyrcks said:
Do you think Disney will reboot the Indiana Jones series or continue where it left off after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull :)

If they can get Harrison they continue...simple as that. Its money in the bank.

Unfortunately Disney's attitude towards Indy, (as we understand it) doesn't inspire confidence.

So I guess it means reboot...but Disney is invested with rides so the idea that they might sell Indy to someone with a plan is unlikely.

What you're more likely to see is an up and coming director pitch a film rather than one internally developed.

Disney might just produce The Adventures of Mutt first...

indyrcks

But if they did reboot the Indiana Jones franchise who would be a worthy successor to Harrison Ford, I know a controversial question but something I am wondering about.:) :)

Finn

Staff member
It's pretty obvious from the comments we've got that Indy is currently on Disney's backburner - at least what comes to any new movies - mostly thanks to the existing deal with Paramount.

One option to consider is that they could potentially opt to get rid of the IP altogether. It's of no value to them, so they sell it to someone who is interested in making new Indy films and dealing with Paramount.

It might actually be the desired outcome. Disney gets a crapload of money for something that currently is as much worth to them as navel lint, a more enthusiastic party gets to make more films, and us, the fans, will have something to look forward to. Everybody wins.

indyrcks said:
But if they did reboot the Indiana Jones franchise who would be a worthy successor to Harrison Ford, I know a controversial question but something I am wondering about.:) :)

Take a look over here: Ideas For New Indy Actor

I think there's talent out there to craft a worthy story, to compose new music, and film it well, my concerns have always been tone.

Which Indy do we see next: antihero, superhero, sitcomhero or self reverential hero?

Rocket Surgeon said:
Will some enterprising talent secure the righs to an Indiana Jones that Disney isn't even interested in?

Last edited: