Indiana Jones in New Haven - news, updates and everything else

00Kevin

Indyfan
This is exciting, so it's finally happening, I love the idea of a street chase in 50's New England, It's an era that interests me.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt the whole story will get leaked this way. The Yale chase is the most public scene they've ever shot, except maybe for Venice. The rest of the movie will probably be indoors, on sets, and in the middle of nowhere.

The big leak is: 1957! Elvis! Sputnik! Gotta hit the history books...

MsIndy07

I would love for there to be a scene filmed in Boston. There are so many old creepy buildings here! Though New England is definetly a great spot for a scene.

I doubt George will be around much, I think he learned his lessons in the past for having too much imput!

Raiders112390 said:
1938-1957= 19 years
1989-2008= 19 years

1938-1989= 51 years
1957-2008= 51 years

It seems both Last Crusade and Indy4 take place 50 years before they were filmed, Last Crusade was shot in 1988-50=1938 and Indy4 is being shot in 2007-50=1957. That makes Indiana Jones 58 years old and if Sean Connery is in it his character would be 85 years old, both of these ages according to the Indy timeline on this site (Indiana born in 1899 and Henry Sr. born in 1872).
http://www.theraider.net/information/timeline/childhood.php

Last edited:

The Whip

This is a very minor spoiler. Probably nothing that we wouldn't see in a trailer.

But bigger ones are coming (eventually). I would love to resist the temptation. I couldn't do it for the Star Wars trilogy. Decisions, Decisions.

Avilos

Here is an interesting fact about 1957 - Humphrey Bogart died that year. Harrison Ford has often been compared to Bogart. Also Indiana Jones was inspired by some of Bogart's roles. It would be appropriate if there is a small passing reference to this in the film. Maybe Indy saying he was fan.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Avilos said:
Harrison Ford has often been compared to Bogart.
And Cate Blanchett recently played Katharine Hepburn.
That's why I expect an homage to African Queen.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I would just like to say in regards to the date: I was that close! I don't know if anyone remembers but I kept predicting 1956... and now it's 1957 while the rest of you were like "yeah, early 60s" so much for the great intellectuals of this forum!

Avilos

I never had any firm ideas for a specific year. But I always figured it would be the 1950's. Not the 60's. The world changed significantly in the 60's on every single level. While the 50s is still dealing with the aftermaths of WWII. Indiana Jones in the 60s would feel like an anachronism. A hold over from an early age. I think that would have been a HUGE mistake.

indyt

I am a little nervous. 57 gives us alot of history, mafia, communism and, yes, sputnik. I sure hope this movie has nothing to do with space or aliens. I know it is too early to tell but from my studies, little happened that year archaeology wise, evcavation of Tikal (1956), "King Midas's/Gordius's tomb", etc. Ofcoure I know that does not matter, anything can happen. It is interisting that Tikal was in IJ and the Fate of Atlantis though.

Last edited:

Rivers

I dont know why or where anyone thought Indy 4 would be set in the 60's....Lucas and Speilberg have maintained the whole time it was set in the 50's

Avilos

indyt any artifact Indy finds would not have anything to do with the real history
of 1957. Was the Lost Ark really discovered in 1936? ;) Real artifacts were found by real people. They would never shoehorn Indy into a real archaeological dig. Also no real life discoveries would be exiting enough. Indy's discoveries exist in a secret history that most of the world never learns about.

indyt

Avilos said:
indyt any artifact Indy finds would not have anything to do with the real history
of 1957. Was the Lost Ark really discovered in 1936? ;) Real artifacts were found by real people. They would never shoehorn Indy into a real archaeological dig. Also no real life discoveries would be exiting enough. Indy's discoveries exist in a secret history that most of the world never learns about.

I understand what you are saying Avilos. But his adventures could, or may not deal with real history. It depends on the story. I was just trying to "dig around" the history of 1957 to maybe pick up a clue on his next possible artifact.(y)

indyt said:
I understand what you are saying Avilos. But his adventures could, or may not deal with real history. It depends on the story. I was just trying to "dig around" the history of 1957 to maybe pick up a clue on his next possible artifact.(y)

I totally agree. Of course they won't graft Indy onto an existing real-life archaelogical discovery in '57 (IF this is the year - still don't understand why the specific year, as opposed to time-period, would need to be divulged to Yale people by the location guys...). However, the real-life existence of the Nazis and their very real obsession with the occult and quasi-mythical archeological artifacts played a major part in the quests involved in the late 30's settings of ROTLA and LC.

Anaylsing the mid-fifties for context I imagine will be very fruitful and offer real insight into likely plot-elements, even the artifact itself.

The rise of the space-race, cold war, mccarthyism and religio-archaeological events such as the ongoing discovery/interpretation/suppression of the dead sea scrolls I think are genuine contendors to colour the story.

Dr.Sartorius

More New Haven chase scene spoilers:

Books fly. Students flee. Into a Yale courtyard bursts Indiana Jones.

So is the scene described by the men pictured below as they came to City Hall to ask for street closures to facilitate New Haven's summer blockbuster -- the fourth, as yet unnamed, Indiana Jones film.

Aldermen Monday approved street closures for the riveting chase through downtown streets -- and heard a preview of the plot of the movie to be shot in part in downtown New Haven in coming weeks.

In the New Haven-shot scenes, professor Ford gets pursued by bad guys in black sedans through the Yale campus, up to athletic fields, where he may just catch a football for a moment of lighthearted shtick.

http://tinyurl.com/2r3ts9

:D

MsIndy07

[QUOTEAll the excitement will require about 500 extras, Martin said. (Look for announcements soon on where to audition.) [/QUOTE]

Who's in??

Thansk DS, great find! :hat: