Favorite Halloween movies

Stoo

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Transylvania, Jaunary 1918:p

"I want your BLOOOOOOOD!"

Transylvania_01.jpg

roundshort

1) Friday the 13th part 4 (and 1 to 3 as well)
2) Tim Burtons Sleepy Hollow
3) Something Wicked This Way Comes
4) Miracle on 34th Street
5) Disney's legend of Sleepy Hollow

Goonie

1) The Monster Squad - a must watch every year "Wolfman's got nards!"
2) Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II
3) Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton's and Disney's animated)
4) Universal Studios Monster Movies (Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Mummy etc)
5) Young Frankenstein "What knockers!"

Honorable mentions (sometimes I watch these too):
  1. Bram Stocker's Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola version)
  2. May Shelley's Frankenstein (Kenneth Branagh version - waiting for this one to be released in widescreen)
  3. Beetlejuice
  4. The Blair Witch Project (maybe Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows - nowhere near as good as the first but ok)
  5. The Fly (David Cronenberg version)
  6. Psycho (whole series I, II, III, and IV, but not the remake)
  7. Van Helsing
  8. Corpse Bride
  9. Haunted Mansion
  10. American Psycho - ok not really a horror, but it's funny "Don't touch the watch!"(y)

And right around Halloween, I pull out A Nightmare Before Christmas, but somtimes I watch it inbetween Halloween and Christmas.

Hans

1. Friday the 13th
2. nightmare on elm street
3.Halloween
4.Texas chainsaw massacure
5. Pumpkin head
6.silence of lambs
:whip:

DocWhiskey

1. Halloween
2. Monster Squad
3. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
3. Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Friday the 13th
5. Dawn of the Dead
6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
7. Michael Jackson's Thriller

vf wing

I go for the first three H-flicks and number 6, which really tied up the previous entries and opened up new potential to go forward... which was thoroughly dashed by the reboot 3 years later!

Cole

I don't think there are many good horror movies, but.....

Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' is a masterpiece.

John Carpenter made some great ones: I recommend 'The Thing' with Kurt Russell. And of course 'Halloween.'

avidfilmbuff

Some of my favorite horror films include.

Nosferatu
The Shining
Dracula (Bela Lugosi version)
Halloween
The Omen
Psycho
Ghostbusters

Now I know Ghostbusters usually isn't considered a horror film, I personally feel that it actually does work very well as a horror film. It has a terrifying score by Elmer Bernstein and the film brilliantly weaves in HP Lovecraft-esque themes into the plot.

Stoo

Goonie said:
1) The Monster Squad - a must watch every year "Wolfman's got nards!"
2) Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II
Nothing beats the ORIGINAL versions of both.:p

Monster Squad (1976) With Fred Grandy, Gopher from "The Love Boat". Dig that cool theme tune and a pre-cursor to the A-Team van!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuFO5QzT9fw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LuFO5QzT9fw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Ghost Busters (1975) The tune is goofy but it was a fun show. A Saturday morning version of "Kolchak, The Night Stalker".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P4-Io8xMHL4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P4-Io8xMHL4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Doc Whiskey said:
3. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
(y)

@Mephisto: What is that image you posted?

Mephisto

It's the cover art painting to the comic book Halloween:Night Dance 1 cover B by Bill Sienkiewicz. I'm not too big into the horror genre but the first Halloween is definitely in my top films list.

Dr Bones

An American Werewolf in London

Poltergeist

Ghostbusters

Oh... and Showgirls.... scared the Cr@p out of me too. :p

Stoo

Mephisto said:
It's the cover art painting to the comic book Halloween:Night Dance 1 cover B by Bill Sienkiewicz. I'm not too big into the horror genre but the first Halloween is definitely in my top films list.
Sienkiewicz is great!(y) I have his Jimi Hendrix comic book and every panel is a painting.

Some Hallowe'en/horror faves would have to be, "Evil Dead 2", "Return of the Living Dead" and that super-crazy Peter Jackson flick, "Braindead" (aka "Dead Alive").:dead: (Speaking of which, there's a great zombie thread around here somewhere.)

Zeppelin

Evil Dead I & II, Re-Animator, Dead Alive/Braindead, Return of the Living Dead...oh yes, I like splattery zombie stuff, why do you ask?