TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #226
MDew
IndyFan

Do you have to pay for the domain name or is it free on google? I've been wanting to do that for a while for some of my sites. I didn't realize google had a website builder, that looks pretty cool.
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #227
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FYI, the pretty URL appears to be working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
Do you have to pay for the domain name or is it free on google? I've been wanting to do that for a while for some of my sites. I didn't realize google had a website builder, that looks pretty cool.

I paid for the domain name separately, and have it pointing at the site (via a DNS CNAME record and a Sites feature).
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #228
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
And it now has a real domain name:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/

This can be a collaboratively authored site - PM me if you want edit access.
Looks great, Tash! Very nicely done. No updates from me yet but will get back on it soon enough...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #229
fommes
IndyFan

Wow, really nice work, great site!
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #230
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Thanks!

I'm working on getting samples up, but nearly all of the extant "drop an MP3 player into your page" solutions suck, and the intersection of those that work with Google Sites is vanishingly small. So I might have to author my own. *sigh*

I've started commentary on the individual episodes (sub-pages under "Cue Lists"), and plan to embed "human-readable" versions of the master spreadsheet on those pages.

MDew: I've updated the track names for the Documentaries on the master spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ZOGx5V2c&hl=en to include the actual documentary titles, so we can more easily compare notes. I also checked the credits for each and eliminated some as stock, and put in parenthetical possible sources (the credits for each documentary list the episodes sourced from)

Interestingly, in the documentary credits, Bramson is given co-billing with McNeely for the Oganga soundtrack, and Arthur Kempel is co-credited with McNeely for Hawkmen. Any corroboration anywhere else? The Bramson credit on Oganga would explain why the bookends sound so TotPE-ish to me.

Last edited by InexorableTash : 01-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #231
MDew
IndyFan

Nice work on that, Tash. I was going to do the same thing but just haven't got around to it yet. Your notes are all pretty close to what little I had. Unfortunately I deleted many of them that I considered to be stock upon first glance, but seeing your list maybe they weren't...
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #232
Stoo
IndyFan

Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it. I also like your description of all this as a "bonanza", 'cause that's what it is. Here's a direct link and it starts at 55:22.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indyc..._94_128990.asp

I would just like to add that I love you guys and this is my MOST FAVOURITE THREAD on The Raven! Tash, the sample piece you chose for the IndyCast (from the Interactive Timeline) is still driving me crazy...
Quote:
I've started commentary on the individual episodes (sub-pages under "Cue Lists"), and plan to embed "human-readable" versions of the master spreadsheet on those pages.
Re: "human-readable"...We are not men, we are voracious, unsatiable Young Indy music fans who are foaming at the mouth.
Quote:
MDew:(the credits for each documentary list the episodes sourced from)
Didn't know that! Nice spot.
Quote:
Interestingly, in the documentary credits, Bramson is given co-billing with McNeely for the Oganga soundtrack, and Arthur Kempel is co-credited with McNeely for Hawkmen. Any corroboration anywhere else? The Bramson credit on Oganga would explain why the bookends sound so TotPE-ish to me.
VERY interesting. Whoever did the "Oganga" bookends, scored the Old Indy stuff for "Paris, 1908" because the 1st part has a similar cue.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #233
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it.

Huzzah, I finally had a chance to listen, glad you enjoyed the letter. Thanks to everyone who's been involved, and apologies for not naming names - I decided to err on the side of privacy. Fingers crossed that we get a few more recruits... and an answer to that mystery.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #234
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it. I also like your description of all this as a "bonanza", 'cause that's what it is. Here's a direct link and it starts at 55:22.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indyc..._94_128990.asp

Wow. Amazing. I will definetly give it a listen. Thanks for this Stoo - and of course thanks to Tash relentless efforts.

Now if only there could be podcast only devoted to Young Indy - that would truly be a dream coming true

"Nudge, Nudge, wink wink, Say no more"

Last edited by T.E.Lawrence : 02-08-2010 at 07:08 PM.
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #235
Exulted Unicron
IndyFan

I got vols 1 and 2 off eBay yesterday, found vol 4 yesterday and just paid for that. Right now, I'm sat listening to Vol 1 and I love it. Laurence Rosenthal and Joel McNeely have managed to capture the spirit of Indy and it does sound like John Williams could have done it
Exulted Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #236
InexorableTash
IndyFan

I finally nailed the track from the IndyCast.

DVD Bonus Disc Interactive Timeline - bgAudio.mp3 1:24-2:20
"Your Leave Has Been Canceled" (Paris 1916/Demons of Deception Part 2)
DVD Time Index 1:25:26 - 1:26:10

It's definitely the track; it's the scene where Indy is let out of prison and and visions of Mata Hari facing the firing squad start to appear. During the episode there are additional notes and gunshots over the track, and the end of the track is not used in the episode.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #237
Stoo
IndyFan

Nice going, Tash! I knew you could do it. Sorry that I've been out of it for the past while. No progress on my part but will get back on the case soon enough.

I just got back from Barcelona and have been tripping out on the music from that particular episode. Trying to figure out how to play/write tablature for the "Bistro Guitar" track. Have almost got the main body figured out but am stuck on one, troublesome chord! Hasta la próxima, amigo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exulted Unicorn
I got vols 1 and 2 off eBay yesterday, found vol 4 yesterday and just paid for that. Right now, I'm sat listening to Vol 1 and I love it. Laurence Rosenthal and Joel McNeely have managed to capture the spirit of Indy and it does sound like John Williams could have done it
They are indeed, great. Glad your enjoying 'em. Any favourites?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #238
Stoo
IndyFan

Went over the "Barecelona" episode with a fine toothcomb and did a complete breakdown of all the music. Updated the Young Indy Soundtrack Analysis Sheet accordingly.

One NEW discovery is that the game track, "Revolution - Map 1", is the part where Indy first enters the BARBER SHOP so that's another one in the can! (I also added some notes as to the "unused" portions of tracks from the officially released CD. )

The tricky bit is the segment during the ballet show since it draws heavily from the actual oeuvre, "Scheherazade", and appears to be mixed with original parts from Rosenthal. It's a rather large chunk of music (+6:00). More scrutiny required... There are traces of "Scheherazade" moments in some of the other Barcelona tunes. In the meantime:

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #239
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Awesome!

One goal is obviously to do the cue breakdown for all of the episodes. Anyone with the DVDs, soundtracks, and an hour or two to kill is pleaded with to help out. Pick an episode that's not broken down on the spreadsheet (linked above) and have at it.

As a test, I've copied Stoo's Barcelona breakdown into: http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.co...nage-escapades

Comments on the formatting, columns, etc?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #240
lairdo
IndyFan

Quote:
The tricky bit is the segment during the ballet show since it draws heavily from the actual oeuvre, "Scheherazade", and appears to be mixed with original parts from Rosenthal. It's a rather large chunk of music (+6:00). More scrutiny required... There are traces of "Scheherazade" moments in some of the other Barcelona tunes.

Yes, that is exactly the case. The ballet sequences were filmed to the music and then that was delivered to us in the sound department. We produced a music only version for Rosenthal and the he composed in and around where the music had to fit the on stage sequences and where he could take liberties (either for the off screen action of the other spies or to bridge different parts of the ballet). I assume George instructed or okayed weaving the classical music into the rest of the score.

Personally, I remember thinking the episode was the funniest we had done yet when we got the edit. But I actually thought it lost some of the punch after we finished the music and sound effects. I don't know why. I just recall the drier dialogue and minimal music audio we received with the picture to be punchier. I can't really think of another episode I worked on that I actually liked less when it was done than when I first saw it. I still like the episode overall - just not as much as I did when it was fresh.

Laird
lairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #241
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
Yes, that is exactly the case.
Laird, I can’t repeat enough how great it is to have you here! Thanks for your insight on the “Barcelona" score.

Upon investigation, it’s pretty clear that most of the ENTIRE ballet sequence is Rimsky-Korsakov (with very few Rosenthal bridges). Due to the rather large number of motifs from “Scheherazade” woven throughout most of the Barcelona tunes, I’m stuck on how they should be categorized. Rimsky-Korsakov/Rosenthal OR Rimsky-Korsakov arr: Rosenthal?

Quote:
Awesome!

One goal is obviously to do the cue breakdown for all of the episodes. Anyone with the DVDs, soundtracks, and an hour or two to kill is pleaded with to help out. Pick an episode that's not broken down on the spreadsheet (linked above) and have at it.

As a test, I've copied Stoo's Barcelona breakdown into: http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.co...nage-escapades

Comments on the formatting, columns, etc?
Looks good, Tash. It’s easy to read, clean & CLASSY! For the time being, the only suggestion I have is to add a column for composer (because of tracks like “Garryowen”, “Minstrel Boy” and now, “Scheherazade”, etc.). Maybe also add notes about the “unused” portions of tracks? I know it’s just a test but you must have grabbed the info while I was still working on it. Don’t update yet as I’ve made some new discoveries/changes.

Here’s a play-by-play of JUST the ballet portions - "Scheherazade" breakdown (some things may be a bit off so feel free to make any corrections you may find):

26:29-27:27 Movement 1 - The Sea and Sinbad’s Ship
27:29-28:51 Movement 3 - The Young Prince and The Young Princess
28:51-30:52 Movement 2 - The Kalendar Prince (w/minor Rosenthal bit?)
30:53-32:02 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:03-32:33 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:33-33:46 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad. The Sea. The Ship Breaks against a Cliff Surmounted by a Bronze Horseman.

I love this music due to my passion for all things relating to Sindbad. (Yes, it’s spelled with the extra “d”.) He was one of my biggest heroes - if not *the* - before “Star Wars” & Indy were unleashed onto the world.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #242
Stoo
IndyFan

LEGO 2 Tracks

From back on page 12, post 174.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
A quick breakdown of some new Lego files:

-edit-

The bulk of it is unusable, but a few new tidbits here and there.
Hey, fommes. Do you or anyone else have a complete list of ONLY the Young Indy tracks from the LEGO 2 game? Doesn't matter if they are doubles of previous material, I just want to put them all together in one folder.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #243
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Isn't that just http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...Fa3llZWc&hl=en if you ignore the non-YIJC lines?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #244
Stoo
IndyFan

Yes but there is a long list of tracks at the bottom where the fields for "source" are blank. I was wondering if any of those contain YI stuff. Anyone know?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #245
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Laird, I can’t repeat enough how great it is to have you here! Thanks for your insight on the “Barcelona" score.

Upon investigation, it’s pretty clear that most of the ENTIRE ballet sequence is Rimsky-Korsakov (with very few Rosenthal bridges). Due to the rather large number of motifs from “Scheherazade” woven throughout most of the Barcelona tunes, I’m stuck on how they should be categorized. Rimsky-Korsakov/Rosenthal OR Rimsky-Korsakov arr: Rosenthal?

Looks good, Tash. It’s easy to read, clean & CLASSY! For the time being, the only suggestion I have is to add a column for composer (because of tracks like “Garryowen”, “Minstrel Boy” and now, “Scheherazade”, etc.). Maybe also add notes about the “unused” portions of tracks? I know it’s just a test but you must have grabbed the info while I was still working on it. Don’t update yet as I’ve made some new discoveries/changes.

Here’s a play-by-play of JUST the ballet portions - "Scheherazade" breakdown (some things may be a bit off so feel free to make any corrections you may find):

26:29-27:27 Movement 1 - The Sea and Sinbad’s Ship
27:29-28:51 Movement 3 - The Young Prince and The Young Princess
28:51-30:52 Movement 2 - The Kalendar Prince (w/minor Rosenthal bit?)
30:53-32:02 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:03-32:33 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad...
32:33-33:46 Movement 4 - Festival at Baghdad. The Sea. The Ship Breaks against a Cliff Surmounted by a Bronze Horseman.

I love this music due to my passion for all things relating to Sindbad. (Yes, it’s spelled with the extra “d”.) He was one of my biggest heroes - if not *the* - before “Star Wars” & Indy were unleashed onto the world.

Thank you Stoo for the name of the song from "Attack of the Hawkman". I knew that was a military song that sounded familar, but I didn't know it was called "Garryowen". Great song and so is the "Minstrel Boy" which was used perfectly during the London 1916 segment. Hopefully someone can figure out the military march from Indy's next visit to London in November 1918 when he arrives in Waterloo station. Do you by any chance know the name of the other song from "Attack of the Hawkman" that the pilots are singing during the Bloody April montage? I was wondering if that was an original piece for the show or an actual song from WWI.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #246
Stoo
IndyFan

My pleasure, 1986. The other song is called, "The Bold Aviator Lay Dying" (aka "The Young Aviator Lay Dying"). Again, another parallel between "Hawkmen" and the film, "Aces High", because there is a very similar scene where the pilots are all singing this tune (with Christopher Plummer at the piano).

On IndyCast #101, someone wrote in to answer Laird's Young Indy soundtrack challenge. I think the person's name was Richard. Is that anyone from here?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #247
lairdo
IndyFan

By the way, did everyone agree with my list from the YIJC shows? I left the question as name the most to give me a little wiggle room on the answer. I'm fairly sure I had it right for music in the score (vs. source music/on screen stage acts). Here's the complete list I had.

1. Laurence Rosenthal, My First Adventure
2. Joel McNeely, Passion for Life
3. Giacomo Puccini, Perils of Cupid (besides the on screen numbers, his music is incorporated into the score)
4. Thomas Moore, Love's Sweet Song (the Minstrel Boy Song is in the score at the train station - it is used again in Attack of the Hawkmen)
5. Frederic Talgorn, Trenches of Hell
6. JS Bach, Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life (besides the piano scenes which would be musical numbers, Bach is used in the score as well particularly after Schweitzer is taken by the French)
7. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Adventures in the Secret Service (Rosenthal says on the CD notes that the ballet is in the score as well as on screen)
8. Curt Sobel, Masks of Evil
9. Steve Bramson, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
10. John Williams, Mystery of the Blues (incorporated into the opening and closing Harrison Ford scenes)
11. George Gershwin, Scandal of 1920 (the movie opens with Rhapsody in Blue in the score over the train)

I would love everyone's comments or rants about the list.

(For those that don't listen to the Indy-cast, this was one of the questions on episode 100 - name the composers for Young Indy and their first appearance in DVD order.)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #248
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Mind if I swipe that list for www.youngindianajonesmusic.com?

(And a reminder: I can make anyone with an email address an editor on that site, should anyone want to contribute directly. Just PM me.)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #249
lairdo
IndyFan

Yes, yes of course! Please post it, and we can add to it if we think we missed something.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #250
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Added to:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/composers