TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #276
AnnieJones
IndyFan

The first one might be real.

Last edited by AnnieJones : 05-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #277
Stoo
IndyFan

The first website was put together by Inexorable Tash. The second is the work of MDew. (Both of who are participating in this thread.)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #278
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Oh,ok.Then they're legal.I'm such an idiot.I apologize to Inexorable Tash and to MDew.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #279
Chuck McKnight
IndyFan

Great News! I found the other two pieces that play in the trailer.

They are "Super Hero" and "The Great Endeavour (a)" by Tony Hymas from Landscapes. Unfortunately, I can't provide high quality rips for these, but they are available to listen to from the Web, and they are easy enough to download with the DownloadHelper addon for Firefox.
http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/v...cfm?cdnum=1903

I will be keeping an eye out for this on eBay now, and I'll let you all know if I manage to acquire it.

For now, since we have all the pieces, I went ahead and made an edit track for the music as it is heard in the trailer. Some of the edit spots don't sound all that great without the sound effects to cover it, but it's pretty accurate to how it is in the trailer.

Just PM me again if you'd like it.

-Chuck
Chuck McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #280
InexorableTash
IndyFan

YoungIndianaJonesMusic.com organizational question

Currently, on http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists I have the details about what music is "available" organized by DVD. I started this way on both the GDoc spreadsheets and the site since the DVDs are (1) currently available and (2) the time indexes are consistent and unambiguous. In contrast, the broadcast episodes are unavailable to most, and the timings will be inconsistent (ad breaks, stretched VHS tapes, etc).

That said: the music was, for the most part, composed for the broadcast episodes. I don't know if any new music was recorded for the bridging segments (it is a re-use in the cases I can think of). This leads me to think that the site should use the broadcast episodes as the primary breakdown, and include DVD chapters and time indexes as secondary.

Thoughts?

And perhaps more importantly... what should the list be? Should we treat http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19276 as consensus?

"The Curse of the Jackal" Egypt, May 1908 / Mexico, March 1916
London, May 1916
British East Africa, September 1909
Verdun, September 1916
German East Africa, December 1916 / Congo, January 1917
Austria, March 1917
"Trenches of Hell" Somme, Early August 1916 / Germany,Mid-August 1916
Barcelona, May 1917
"The Mystery of the Blues", Chicago, April-May 1920
Princeton, February 1916
Petrograd, July 1917
"The Scandal of 1920", New York, June-July 1920
Vienna, November 1908
Northern Italy, June 1918
"The Phantom Train of Doom", German East Africa, November 1916
Ireland, April 1916
Paris, September 1908
Peking, March 1910
Benares, January 1910
Paris, October 1916
Istanbul, September 1918
Paris, May 1919
"The Hollywood Follies", Hollywood, August 1920
"Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", London/Egypt/South Pacific, November 1919
"Attack of the Hawkmen", Ravenelle/Ahlhorn Germany, 1917
"Travels with Father", Russia/Athens 1910
Tangiers 1908
Florence, May 1908
Prague, August 1917
"Daredevils of the Desert", Palestine, October 1917
Morocco 1917
Transylvania,January 1918
Princeton 1919

(Thanks to Annie Jones and Stoo).

The desire would be a list of distinct compositional units, i.e. the composer sat down and wrote a score for one entry, even if it was broken up for broadcast with distinct bookends. I'm not sure we'll ever know that, unless we had production numbers. Also, I'm unsure of what ordering to use.

Thoughts?
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #281
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck McKnight
Just PM me again if you'd like it.
Good going, Chuck! Will PM you again but will have to make room in my Inbox. (So, have you finished reading this entire monster thread yet?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
That said: the music was, for the most part, composed for the broadcast episodes. I don't know if any new music was recorded for the bridging segments (it is a re-use in the cases I can think of). This leads me to think that the site should use the broadcast episodes as the primary breakdown, and include DVD chapters and time indexes as secondary.
This is a very hard call. To my ears, most of the bridging segments have re-used tracks but the extended beginnings of some episodes feature brand new music (ex. "Oganga"). Also, "Daredevils" is double the length of "Palestine" so it very likely contains some new music, too.

Since we do have some tracks from the bookends, your idea of using the broadcasts as primary makes sense but like you mentioned, would be near impossible to have a proper timing index.
Quote:
The desire would be a list of distinct compositional units, i.e. the composer sat down and wrote a score for one entry, even if it was broken up for broadcast with distinct bookends. I'm not sure we'll ever know that, unless we had production numbers. Also, I'm unsure of what ordering to use.
As for the order, the 4 non-U.S. episodes aired before the 4 Family Channel movies. Not sure about the order of when the new DVD episodes were made but this is a little bit more precise:

Paris, May 1919
Florence, May 1908
Prague, August 1917
"Daredevils of the Desert", Palestine, October 1917
Transylvania,January 1918
"The Hollywood Follies", Hollywood, August 1920
"Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", London/Egypt/South Pacific, November 1919
"Attack of the Hawkmen", Ravenelle/Ahlhorn Germany, 1917
"Travels with Father", Russia/Athens 1910
Morocco 1917
Princeton 1919
Tangiers 1908
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #282
Stoo
IndyFan

Minor new discovery:

The lullaby that Anna Jones sings to Indy in Peking, 1910/Journey of Radiance is called, "All the Pretty Horses". Apparently, it's an American folk song from days of slavery. Obviously, Rosenthal built his instrumentation around it but thought it was worth pointing out. (Updated the spreadsheet.)
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #283
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Thank you Chuck McKnight,InexorableTash,and Stoo for these great discoveries!

Stoo,was this the song she was singing?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #284
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieJones
Oh,ok.Then they're legal.I'm such an idiot.I apologize to Inexorable Tash and to MDew.
Just to clarify: They are fan-made websites and Volume 5 is NOT a legit release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieJones
Stoo,was this the song she was singing?
That's the one, Annie. She sings the 1st verse (up until 0:37 in your video).
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #285
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
That's the one, Annie. She sings the 1st verse (up until 0:37 in your video).
Ok Stoo.Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #286
MDew
IndyFan

Interview with Joel McNeely

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I ran across an interview with Joel McNeely that discusses his film scoring career. About 1/3 the way down he goes into detail about the history of his involvement with Young Indy & about the recording process for it. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php
MDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #287
Stoo
IndyFan

Nice find, MDew! You can be sure that when InexorableTash gets back from Hawaii, he's going to appreciate it as well...
Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #288
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Volume 3 CD for $19.95

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...ONICLES-VOL-3/

Compared to prices on Amazon, this is a steal! Found this while going on an album shopping search.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #289
MDew
IndyFan

Not bad, I'd keep an eye on ebay too - that's where I got mine many years ago. I think I paid between $14-20 each.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #290
Willie
IndyFan

I've got the soundtrack from Raiders of The Lost Ark on cassette tape, I'm transferring it over to DVD.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #291
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
I've got the soundtrack from Raiders of The Lost Ark on cassette tape, I'm transferring it over to DVD.

Welcome to the forum, but it might be a good idea to notice which section of it you're posting in.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #292
Willie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Welcome to the forum, but it might be a good idea to notice which section of it you're posting in.
Thank You.
ahh...I see what you mean
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #293
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
Thank You.
ahh...I see what you mean

No worries. You displayed admirable grace in being corrected, so here's to that.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #294
MDew
IndyFan

So at a complete loss of where else to turn on getting these soundtracks released, the letter writing campaign has begun! Not knowing where to start, I went straight to the top: Lucasfilm! I figure going out to the composers, etc. won't do much good as Lucasfilm are the ones who have the music and own the rights to release it.

I began by telling them that this is not-your-average TV soundtrack music (enough to earn multiple Emmys) and there is a strong desire for it to be released in a more complete form. Only a small fraction of show's total music was represented in the CDs, and with the advent of digital downloads now it would cost them next-to-nothing to release it that way & see that those that want it can finally get it.

Lo and behold, what shows up a couple days later?

Granted, it's not from the Bearded One himself - but hey at least they took the time to acknowledge it (more than I can say for the hundreds of resumes I've sent out to employers).

For those of you out there that are tired of waiting, having them receive a bunch of requests probably won't do any harm...Plus you get a nifty souvenir to hang on your wall

If you wish to do the same (c'mon guys, join the bandwagon!), here's the address:

Lucasfilm Ltd.
PO Box 29901
San Francisco, CA 94129
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #295
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDew
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I ran across an interview with Joel McNeely that discusses his film scoring career. About 1/3 the way down he goes into detail about the history of his involvement with Young Indy & about the recording process for it. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php

Awesome! I'll link to this from www.youngindianajonesmusic.com when I get a chance. (Next week, possibly.)

Quote:
So at a complete loss of where else to turn on getting these soundtracks released, the letter writing campaign has begun! Not knowing where to start, I went straight to the top: Lucasfilm! I figure going out to the composers, etc. won't do much good as Lucasfilm are the ones who have the music and own the rights to release it.

Nice! Definitely on my to-do list as well. I plan to specifically ask for specific, actionable items - (1) releasing the Vol 1-4 OSTs on iTunes, (2) releasing the "Attack of the Hawkmen" and/or "Curse of the Jackal" scores on iTunes as a trial for interest and to the gauge costs.

On that note - apart from "Curse..." (which has been requested very often), what would your top unreleased YIJC scores be? I guess mine would be Hawkmen, Daredevils, Peacock and Trenches - but this is biased by having tastes from the LEGO games. What are yours?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #296
MDew
IndyFan

My top votes would be similar to yours:
Curse of the Jackal, more Princeton 1916, Hollywood Follies, Peacock's Eye, Hawkmen & Travels With Father.

My question is, if the music already exists in a recorded state (which there seems to be evidence of) is there really that much of an expense on their part, just to release it via iTunes? C'mon they've got nothing to lose, right?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #297
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Lo and behold, what shows up a couple days later?
Nice going, MountainDew, and thanks for posting! I'll join your bandwagon. My TOP pick would be "Hawkmen" without a doubt. The piece Tash labeled as, "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape", is probably my favourite piece out of the whole series. My other choices are pretty much the same as what you guys would want, "Daredevils", "Trenches", "Jackal" and "Travels With Father".

re: iTunes.
On page 6, post 87 of the thread: Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy, Laird said he found the end credits for "Trenches of Hell" available. Maybe there's more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdo
(Ha ha, YI Music just came up as I type this in iTunes DJ - End Credits for Trenches. Synergistic!)
Mentioning, "Travels" reminds me that I still need to make an mp3 of the rare music from the broadcast opening bookend. It's good! Maybe I'll do that this weekend...
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #298
dameain
IndyFan

Another piece of music that should be on any future compilations is the "Indian Style" music that was heard in the Mata Hari episode. I have been trying to track down the name of that piece for years, without success.
dameain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #299
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
On page 6, post 87 of the thread: Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy, Laird said he found the end credits for "Trenches of Hell" available. Maybe there's more?

I believe that Laird just meant that iTunes "DJ" feature ("play music from my library using some sort of theme heuristics based on global popularity") decided to play that track while he was typing.

That said, I just checked and Peking 1910 "An American Thanksgiving / A Chinese Adventure" is on iTunes ($0.99) as part of a "Varése Sarabande 25th Anniversary Celebration" album. In addition to the horrid synth-pop "100 TV Themes"-type recordings. *shudder*

(Rights, clearances, and overhead are the reasons I'm not holding my breath that Lucasfilm can just dump the tracks on iTunes. But we should still ask - nicely! And ask again every few years.)
Old 07-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #300
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Awesome! I'll link to this from www.youngindianajonesmusic.com when I get a chance.

Done: http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/composers

Is there anything else from this thread that should be included on the site?