Cowboys & Aliens

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Indy's brother reads this, craps in his adult diaper.

"Nurse, clean him up again, then wheel him into the television room. They're playing one of those old black and white movies he likes." :p

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
What? You too, Stoo!

Then I must kneel before your greater wisdom and accept the error of my vision! ;)
Heh. No need since I sometimes put genre above quality.:eek: However, you have to admit James Franciscus is a dude. I collect Harryhausen stuff and managed to meet him a few years ago.:D "Gwangi" is indeed, AWESOME!

As for your favourite Kong, whatever floats your boat. I have all the Kong movies and *almost* all of the rip-offs. (Still missing the UK's "Queen Kong"!) There are a few Kong threads here so I'll refrain from taking things off topic because I could go on and on and on and on....
Montana Smith said:
Captain Blumburtt Sr. versus the Aliens: "I say, steady on old thing, you do realize you just landed your contraption on British Imperial soil. Whatever do you think Her Majesty would say?"
Ha! Funny, Matt. Very funny.:D Private Marcus Brody, Sr.: "Cor Blimey! 'Ee's got two 'eads, 'e 'as!:eek: 'And me that canteen...Blasted sun's playin' tricks on me eyes!"
Indy's brother said:
That actually sounds like a more interesting concept to me than cowboys and aliens(y)
Thanks. It's a half-baked idea but you should see the sketches!;)
Dave the Hutt said:
That said, I was about 7 when I first saw it and it's probably been about 20 years since I saw it last, so I'm sure my memories are rose-tinted and that time hasn't been kind... still, you've got to love Harryhausen's stop-motion work, right?
It's still good. Like you, I first saw it when I was 6 or 7 but I have owned a copy for a long time and know it very well. If you ever get the chance, try and see "The Beast From Hollow Mountain" which is a pre-Gwangi version of the same story by Willis O'Brien. He didn't do the effects but it's based on his original story, "The Valley of the Mist". (Note to Montana: O'Brien is the father, not Harryhausen.;))

BLIT1622.JPG

Another good example of the cowboy/sci-fi mix is the '60s TV series "The Wild, Wild West" with Robert Conrad. (Please nobody mention the Fresh-Prince-of-Bel-Air-version.:sick:) Can't recall if there were aliens in any of the episodes but the cross-over of genres is nothing new (however untapped it may be).

@ Johnny Nys: Obviously, I could look it up but...when was the comic done?

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Heh. No need since I sometimes put genre above quality.:eek: However, you have to admit James Franciscus is a dude. I collect Harryhausen stuff and managed to meet him a few years ago.:D "Gwangi" is indeed, AWESOME!

You're a genre buff, Stoo, and that's cool. I can see you after the apocalypse, travelling around like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man, visiting old cinemas and DVD stores, dodging vampires and gathering up all the old movies, building a collection for when society regains enough civilization to appreciate them once more! :cool:

And James Fransiscus always reminded me of Charlton Heston, which is probably why he got the part of Brent in Beneath the Planet of the Apes. (I also love the original Apes films and TV series).

I've had my eye on the 1/6 Harryhausen skeletons as foes for Indy. But they're pretty expensive and not as animated as the originals...

And you met the great man himself - how did that come about?

Stoo said:
As for your favourite Kong, whatever floats your boat. I have all the Kong movies and *almost* all of the rip-offs. (Still missing the UK's "Queen Kong"!) There are a few Kong threads here so I'll refrain from taking things off topic because I could go on and on and on and on....

I love Kong but haven't ventured away from the original (which was also a great novel), the 1970s version and of course the shiny new Jackson one.

Stoo said:
Ha! Funny, Matt. Very funny.:D Private Marcus Brody, Sr.: "Cor Blimey! 'Ee's got two 'eads, 'e 'as!:eek: 'And me that canteen...Blasted sun's playin' tricks on me eyes!"

Very good, Stoo! (y) I'm sure we could build quite a cast for your Sudan Alien adventure.

The Beast From Hollow Mountain was the other name I was trying to think of when I mentioned Gwangi. I haven't seen that one in a very long time.

:hat:

Ajax the Great

This is clearly a genre experiment - so it's high risk, high reward, I think. Although I don't let this influence my overall judgment of films, I love genre pieces. Noir, blaxploitation, and pulp - I eat it all up. This looks like a really pulpy movie, and I'm hoping Favreau handles it like that. I actually wish a project like this was in the hands of Tarantino. This is the kind of stuff he's good at. I'm not terribly familiar with Favreau's directorial style, so I can't say much about him.

Dewy9

I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty big movie. Downey Jr was going to be the lead, but backed out because he wanted to do a sequel to Sherlock Holmes.

I was thrilled when I read the news! Harrison Ford has only been in one big, blockbuster movie since Air Force One (obviously it was Indy IV). It's about time he starts choosing good projects, and I think this one and Morning Glory are a good start.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
You're a genre buff, Stoo, and that's cool. I can see you after the apocalypse, travelling around like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man, visiting old cinemas and DVD stores, dodging vampires and gathering up all the old movies, building a collection for when society regains enough civilization to appreciate them once more! :cool:
Been there, done that...and I'm still waiting!:( ("Omega Man"!(y))
Montana Smith said:
And you met the great man himself - how did that come about?
He was at a film festival in Montreal to present a screening of "Jason" with a Q&A afterward. One of the organizers is a friend of mine and he invited me to a casual meet 'n' greet earlier in the day which was quite a privilege considering the massive line-up waiting for autographs after the show. Very kind and humble man.:)
Montana Smith said:
The Beast From Hollow Mountain was the other name I was trying to think of when I mentioned Gwangi. I haven't seen that one in a very long time.
It's certainly not an easy one to see. That is for sure.

Harrison or not, I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. It would be great to see him put on a cowboy hat again since he played one often earlier in this career. (Frisco Kid, Journey to Shiloh, The Virgian, Gunsmoke, American Graffiti and even a Union officer in A Time for Killing.)

Anyway, this thread should be merged. Our resident western expert, Phantom Stranger, started this one last year: Cowboys and Aliens

tocksic

I made this poster for Cowboys & Aliens over the last few hours. Hope you guys like it. :whip:

cowboysandaliensmoviepo.jpg

edit: oh lol! "Harisson Ford" I'll fix it. :p

edit2: fixed

Last edited:

Hanselation

tocksic said:
I made this poster for Cowboys & Aliens over the last few hours. Hope you guys like it. :whip:

edit: oh lol! "Harisson Ford" I'll fix it. :p

edit2: fixed

Very nice design. I like that very much. Well done.

Hopefully the movie will be done with the same passion.

tocksic

Oh havent't seen this thread before. I hope it's no problem, that I repost the fan poster that I've done yesterday:

Montana Smith

I like that poster a lot! I see Harrison's gained a new and distinctive scar, setting him up for older Indy's eyepatch...

Stoo said:
Been there, done that...and I'm still waiting! ("Omega Man"!)

This is off-topic, so I'll make the text itst bitsy so nobody else will see it. ;)

All this talk of old movies is making me wish I'd paid more attention to them. Some films from the '30s and '40s do have an undying magic about them, and those with a contemporary setting are great for revisiting '30s and '40s fashions and styles in clothing, objects, and machinery. So keep on with your, quest. Oh, and I loved Omega Man, too. Something cool about having free access to an empty city, except for the bodies and the vampires, of course.

Montana Smith

It's a really well made poster, tocksic. I just saw it in the other thread (which really ought to be merged now), and I immediately thought of Harrison's scar, and old Indy's eyepatch in the TV series.

Montana Smith

Ajax the Great said:
Thanks - that's exactly the one I was looking for!

I went through and saved every page to make it more user friendly to read. It's 105 pages plus the cover totalling 33.3 MB.

If this is the story that the film will follow, I can't tell which character Harrison is going to play.

The concept is fine, as aliens can land at any point in earth's history (as with the Daeniken aliens of KOTCS), but I'm not sure that the story is good enough. Of course, I was looking at the pcitures as I was saving, and not reading every word.

YouNeverKnow

I also just finished reading it. That is one fast-paced comic book. But, there is plenty of room for the movie to play with, more than a fair hunk of dialogue to add and rewrite. I think that using that comic as a groundwork could lead to some very cool stuff, especially in the hands of Favreau. I admire his Iron Man work greatly.