Two Indy Stories

maquino

You might enjoy Secret of the Lost Ark and Grail Mission at:

http://www.xeper.org/maquino

I wrote SLA a week or so after seeing Raiders in a Georgetown theater in 1981. At the time I was assigned to the Defense Intelligence Agency, so I used the excellent resources of its library, and those of the CIA and the State Department's Foreign Service Institute, to polish SLA's background. All of the references and extracts in it are authentic. It caused a minor stir at the time, and I received a very nice note from someone whose name I won't drop here about it. But I doubt that it's in the running for Indy 4!

Grail Mission was done some years later, in 1998. Again all of the places, references, and quotes are authentic. Once again - since I wrote these stories for personal friends - I dropped some of them in. (H.P. Lovecraft used to do this with his stories, and I liked the idea.)

SLA was also motivated by a bit of dissatisfaction with the archaeological precision of Raiders, as well as its end, which I thought "dangled". Similarly GM was a sort of "alternate take" on the Grail theme, but was not a sequel to the third Lucasfilm. It was also a bit more tongue-in-cheek than the very-serious SLA, in part because it had some fun with readers of the first story who were really concerned about its reality.

Please note that Adobe Acrobat or AA Reader v.5 or more recent is necessary to open these two .pdf files. I'm not trying to make things difficult - just minimizing incorrect or incomplete cut/pastes of these around the Internet. There is a link on my page to the free-download site for AA Reader if you need it.

Note also on the same page The Dark Side, an "alternate Star Wars", as well as the more recent Morlindalë, the memoirs of Melkor and Sauron.

Enjoy! :)

Michael Aquino
Xeper@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:

maquino

Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader v.5

Katarn07 said:
I got errors trying to view them. The reader could not decrypt the document. Is this just me?

My original/pre-edited post said that Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Acrobat Reader v.4 or newer is needed to open them. My error (now corrected). V.5 or newer is required.

I did a test-download just to make sure that the file is OK, and it works fine with v.5.

Apologies,
Michael Aquino

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Not bad, judging by the quick look I had on them.

By the way, welcome to The Raven Bar, where most of the drinks are on fellow patrons.

Indyologist

Finn said:
Not bad, judging by the quick look I had on them.

By the way, welcome to The Raven Bar, where most of the drinks are on fellow patrons.

Which explains why Finn is usually rather damp...

** Welcome to the Raven, where you'll find molars in the peanut dish **

Canyon

maquino, I've had a look through your stories, and I must tell you, I really like your writing style. You're pretty good. :D

I'll have another look at your stories soon. ;)

maquino

Phrase-Turning (and Twisting)

Canyon said:
maquino, I've had a look through your stories, and I must tell you, I really like your writing style. You're pretty good. :D

Thank you. :)

Michael Aquino