Old Indy's influence or vice-versa?

Adamwankenobi

There were three big films in the 90s that had a similar structure to YIJC:

Forest Gump (1994) - Based on a novel. It deals with the title character, who has met many figures of the 20th century. He recalls events of his childhood and young adulthood to everyone who sits down on a park bench beside him.

Titanic (1997) - Old Rose recalls her tragic adventure on the Titanic to a group of scientists.

The Green Mile (1999) - Also based on a novel. Old Paul Edgecomb recalls a tragic and supernatural event from his past.

Each film was made by one of George Lucas' friends (Robert Zemeckis, James Cameron and Young Indy's own Frank Darabont, respectively). This makes me wonder if they were influenced in some way to make the films they did (at least partly) because of YIJC.

Sankara

Adamwankenobi, wake up! *LOL*

Here is the answere: NO!

What about movies like "Stand by me" or "Little Big man"? These movies had a similar structure too - but they are much older than "YIJC"

Adamwankenobi

I know. But look at the films I mentioned. They're made by people who are buddies with Lucas and have been influenced by him before, so I can see them saying "Hmm, that's a cool idea."

On a side note, Martin Scorsese showed clips from the series in his documentary film "A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies ".

Flannery10

Saving Private Ryan is also quite similar. Ryan remembers himself taking part in a historical event. A little different than the three you mentioned, but still.