Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1

yodazone

walker said:
Hey everyone
I was just on Amazon and noticed that the Further Adventures omnibus is finally posted in their "search inside" program, so you can check out the color and reprint quality for yourselves. On first glance, it looks really good. And thankfully they have included the covers for each individual comic (something I was pretty annoyed they did not do for the Dark Horse series compilations). Click on Search Inside and then "surprise me" over and over to see the most samples. If you try to browse in order, you get cut off after something like 5 pages. The TOC gives all of the writing and art attributions for both cover and interior, so that's cool too.

On another note, for those of you who were hoping to see the official Lego Indy comic, I found the artist's website online and he has posted all three pages for your viewing pleasure. Check it out at the link below.

http://davidwhiteillustration.blogspot.com/2008/05/may-lego-indiana-jones-comic.html

'Til next time adventurers
walker

Awesome catch! Here's the Amazon link for the Indy preview:

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-Further-Adventures/dp/1595822461/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

I'm glad they posted the table of contents for the comics too and the "Raiders" comic adaptation is first!

(y) :whip:

Avilos

I have forgotten, how many omnibuses will it take to reprint the whole series? 2 or 3? With TOD and TLC at the end?

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It's out at my comic book store!! Just got the newsletter this morning that it's in. How awesome is that? (y) Now to somehow get the cash needed...

HovitosKing

Avilos said:
I have forgotten, how many omnibuses will it take to reprint the whole series? 2 or 3? With TOD and TLC at the end?

I'm guessing 3, with about 10-12 issues and 1 movie adaptation per. The first omnibus contains issues 1-12 and Raiders, so. There were 34 issues in the Further Adventures run and of course 3 films (unless they include that last one).

phantom train

I just got the DH "Furthur Adventures of IJ" yesterday - the nostalgia factor is strong here, since I initially read many/most of these when they first came out in the '80's.
Anyway, I've read some of the Omnibus, and here are my initial impressions:

- Kudos and Thanks to DH for producing this. The collection is truly superb, possibly the best DH Omnibus collection I've seen. First of all, they included all of the comic covers, which is a first for a DH Omnibus, as far as I know.

- The re-printing & re-coloring is truly stunning when compared to the original comics. To make a comparison, this is like the difference between watching a washed-out VHS transfer and a crisp, clear DVD transfer.

- The first two J. Byrne issues were amazing, as I had remembered.
I also really enjoyed the W. Simonson covers for issues #2 and #3 of the "Raiders" adaptation.

- A small side note: In issue #1 of the "Raiders" adaptation, when Marcus comes to get Indy for his conversation with the A. Intelligence officers, Indy tells Marcus "I've already served". This is interesting, since it's the earliest reference (as far as I know) to Indy's having been in the military. Of course, this line didn't make it into the film so who knows if it was meant to be canon.

- I attest that these stories are superior to DH's Indy comics (reprinted last year).

Anyway, here's hoping for 2 more Omnibuses in this series later this year to finish out the rest of the issues (up to #34), and the TOD & LC adaptations.

phantom train

After finishing the IJ "Furthur Adventures" Omnibus, I just wanted to add to my previous post:

- #6 is an excellent issue - it has a great story featuring Marion Ravenwood, with H. Chaykin art. It has a strong "noir", vintage, 1930's/1940's feel to it, more so than any other Indy comic I've read (so far at least). Very well-done.

- Also very notable are issues #9-10, which features Marion, Marcus Brody, Sallah, and the gold idol that Belloq stole from IJ in "Raiders". Toht's sister also shows up in these issues. Very cool homage to "Raiders", with good art and story as well.

- Marion and Indy seem to be dating off and on in these post "Raiders" stories, which, at least IMHO, somewhat supports the continuity mentioned in KOTCS (i.e., they were engaged after "Raiders" until Indy broke it off). Of course, I haven't read issues #13 - #34 in this series so I don't know what happens later.

Other comments:

- I don't mind the smaller size of the Omnibus, since it probably increases the chances of DH even coming out with these reprints at all by making the collection relatively inexpensive (considering how many issues we are getting).
Also, the smaller size makes it easier to hold while reading.

- It was interesting that in many of these issues, "Lucasfilm Presents" was on the title page, instead of the usual "S. Lee Presents". I think this was also the case in the SW Marvel comics reprints from the '70's and '80's (also reprinted by DH).

metalinvader

Dr.Sartorius said:
Where are you guys finding this? I can't find it anywhere. I'll just order it on Amazon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I got mine at my local comic shop.Try looking at Barnes and Noble.I was there tonight and I saw a few.

Goonie

Violet Indy said:
It's out at my comic book store!! Just got the newsletter this morning that it's in. How awesome is that? (y) Now to somehow get the cash needed...

I really want to get this but I need some cash too. Will I have enough if I sell a Kidney?

Luke Skywalker

phantom train said:
- A small side note: In issue #1 of the "Raiders" adaptation, when Marcus comes to get Indy for his conversation with the A. Intelligence officers, Indy tells Marcus "I've already served". This is interesting, since it's the earliest reference (as far as I know) to Indy's having been in the military. Of course, this line didn't make it into the film so who knows if it was meant to be canon.

Isnt it mandatory for a young man to attend military instruction, specially in past times.

As i see it its some indy ironical joke.

Vance

Indy served in WWI...

Though, what's funny is that the Marvel run of their own stories was actually really good (a few cheesy bits - Prospero, for instance), but holds up really well. Sadly, the actual Raiders adaption is god-awful, coming from an early draft of the script and a bunch of awful dialog and exposition.

UIMJ

The new coloring is fantastic, but nothing beats owning the original Marvel monthlies in VF+ or better grade. Putting together a decent run of this short lived series is as much an accomplishment nowadays as putting together a full run of high grade Marvel Transformers books.

It's just that most people don't realize that yet....

This trade has some great recoloring though and it'll be nice on the shelf, but the discerning collector would not overlook the original monthlies if they came across them.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Vance said:
Indy served in WWI...

Though, what's funny is that the Marvel run of their own stories was actually really good (a few cheesy bits - Prospero, for instance), but holds up really well. Sadly, the actual Raiders adaption is god-awful, coming from an early draft of the script and a bunch of awful dialog and exposition.

I'd really like to see a new adaptation of Raiders.

Avilos

I just had the chance to flip through the book so far. I agree that the RAIDERS issues really standout as below the quality of the rest of the book.

For all my worries about the coloring it looks great. Expect those Raiders issues in which there is too much color. Every looks muddy and blurred together. Makes me wonder if that is because the orignal art was not that detailed or if Dark Horse does not have the original art. RAIDERS almost looks like it was printed from scans of the Marvel issues.

Vance

Sakis said:
I'd really like to see a new adaptation of Raiders.

Wouldn't be the first 're-adaption' (Transformers: The Movie, got a pretty good one recently), and may not be a bad idea. I wonder if they WOULD do it, though, considering the comic runs they have ... but it would be a nice book-end with their Man of Iron (I think that's it) comic and Crystal Skull for Omnibus #3.