Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1

phantom train

Avilos said:
I just had the chance to flip through the book so far. I agree that the RAIDERS issues really standout as below the quality of the rest of the book.

For all my worries about the coloring it looks great. Expect those Raiders issues in which there is too much color. Every looks muddy and blurred together. Makes me wonder if that is because the orignal art was not that detailed or if Dark Horse does not have the original art. RAIDERS almost looks like it was printed from scans of the Marvel issues.

I completely agree - the "Raiders" adaptation is poor, but I don't think DH necessarily did a bad job reprinting this - the original artwork/coloring wasn't that great to begin with, so they didn't have much to work with.

I almost want to say that it wasn't necessary for them to reprint the "Raiders" adaptation since it wasn't that great, but I am a completist and want all of the Marvel IJ-related comics, no matter what the quality is like (especially since the comic didn't last that long).
I will also say that it's interesting that the "Raiders" adaptation does have some detail that wasn't in the film, like the fact that the drinking "companion" of Marion's in the Raven was Australian, a fact that I never knew, or had forgotten (I haven't read the Campbell Black movie adaptation in years, and I think it was in there as well).

I also wanted to comment to those who are having a hard time finding the Omnibus - if you can't find it at your local comic shop, try online. I noticed that not all comic shops ordered it last week, so I think it may be somewhat tough to track down unless you go on the Internet.

Avilos

I agree just buy online.

I long ago gave up on finding comic book TPB at stores. For to many years i would run from every comic book store to book stores with no luck. Its such a gamble that you will find what you want. Book's don't actually have firm release dates like DVDs do. The stores can put them out whenever they get them or get around to it.

So you are better off going with Amazon, or something similar, and paying for the standard shipping. Usually they are very quick. My book arrived a day before they estimated. Only during the Holiday season are they slow.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Just got my copy yesterday. May I say, it is frigging awesome. I've got a couple of the original issues in this omnibus and the re-prints and colours are really 1st class. I also love how they have added all the covers in for each story, very nostalgic.

Yes, I have to also say, I really enjoyed the 'Africa Screams' 2 parter and finally getting the 2nd part of the golden idol story is really awesome.

Thank you sooooo much Dark Horse!!! :hat:

phantom train

Violet Indy said:
Just got my copy yesterday. May I say, it is frigging awesome. I've got a couple of the original issues in this omnibus and the re-prints and colours are really 1st class. I also love how they have added all the covers in for each story, very nostalgic.

Yes, I have to also say, I really enjoyed the 'Africa Screams' 2 parter and finally getting the 2nd part of the golden idol story is really awesome.

Thank you sooooo much Dark Horse!!! :hat:

Glad to hear that others liked this as much as I did - I agree the reprints were amazing.

I suspect that this Omnibus wasn't as widely available as the two DH reprints of their own IJ comics last year, since it seemed harder to track down.

Here's hoping we see reprints of the rest of these Marvel IJ comics later this year - I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Stoo

Violet Indy said:

Way to go! I'm happy that you finally have them in your hands.:D

Are the covers the full, clean artwork or do they include the white square that was reserved for the UPC code/Spiderman logos? Too bad they don't include all the ads for Bubble Yum and that cool, Indy-rip-off video game, "Montezuma's Revenge" (among other things).:p

phantom train

Stoo said:
Way to go! I'm happy that you finally have them in your hands.:D

Are the covers the full, clean artwork or do they include the white square that was reserved for the UPC code/Spiderman logos? Too bad they don't include all the ads for Bubble Yum and that cool, Indy-rip-off video game, "Montezuma's Revenge" (among other things).:p

The covers are re-printed as they appeared when they came out, with the UPC logo, Marvel logo, etc. Since I had these original comics back in the day, I didn't mind this and actually preferred it this way. I'm just glad they included all of the covers, since, to my knowledge, this is the first DH Omnibus to do so.

Vance

Dr.Sartorius said:
Yeah but don't feel like plunking down $25+ tax for this.

Seriously? A rather THICK compilation of quite a few comics, completely retouched, in full color, isn't worth $25 to you? In my mind, that's an incredible bargain.

phantom train

InBanana Jones said:
I have all of those comics in their original format, but it sure is tempting to pick this up. In looking at the Amazon samples, it looks like the coloring doesn't cover the old "dot matrix." Has it been retouched like Dark Horse's great republishing of Marvel's Star Wars run?

In my opinion, the re-coloring of the comics re-printed in the Omnibus is definitely comparable to DH's superb reprints of the Marvel SW comics (reprinted in 2002-2003). The colors are much sharper and vibrant, and the high quality paper these are reprinted on puts the collection over the top.
I'd recommend this Omnibus to anyone who is a fan of the IJ Marvel series.

Dr.Sartorius

Vance said:
Seriously? A rather THICK compilation of quite a few comics, completely retouched, in full color, isn't worth $25 to you? In my mind, that's an incredible bargain.

Not when I can get it for much cheaper. :D

Vance

Dr.Sartorius said:
Not when I can get it for much cheaper. :D

If you can get it cheaper, then obviously go for it.. but if you can't, $25 really is a bargain for all you get in the compilation.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finished the book, peeking at what's next... probably everything from 1984! Loved the hippopotamus interruptus near-proposal on the raft. Hurry, Dark Horse...

after finishing the Dark Horse Omnibus V2, al I can say is hurry up with more of the Marvel stuff! The DH stuff is so slip-shod. varying syles in the middle of stories, weak stories strecthed out, bad artists that can draw pretty pics bt can't use them to tell a decent story (not that some were even given desent stories) you can't follow a fight scene, you have people popping up in one frame that wasn't seen in any previous scenes, etc. In some instances the word ballons seemed to link randomly....The marvel stuff was way more fun and much better quality...

phantom train

ddschneider1972 said:
after finishing the Dark Horse Omnibus V2, al I can say is hurry up with more of the Marvel stuff! The DH stuff is so slip-shod. varying syles in the middle of stories, weak stories strecthed out, bad artists that can draw pretty pics bt can't use them to tell a decent story (not that some were even given desent stories) you can't follow a fight scene, you have people popping up in one frame that wasn't seen in any previous scenes, etc. In some instances the word ballons seemed to link randomly....The marvel stuff was way more fun and much better quality...

I wholeheartedly agree. The Marvel IJ comics are far superior to the DH IJ comics, in every way. I think they truly captured the spirit of the character, and the adventures really fit in the IJ mythos. This is especially impressive since all of these comics were written with only ROTLA (and later TOD) as references.

I wish they had reprinted the Marvel comics first - if that had happened, all of the Marvel comics would already have been reprinted at this point and we wouldn't be waiting for Volumes 2 and 3.

phantom train said:
I wish they had reprinted the Marvel comics first - if that had happened, all of the Marvel comics would already have been reprinted at this point and we wouldn't be waiting for Volumes 2 and 3.

Yea, hopefully they'll do them sooner than later, although, worse case scenario, I think I have a lot of them somewhere in my parents attic....