Which Indy Guide is worth buying?

Mati256

Hello, I am looking for a good book to buy, some kind of guide with all the Indy bio, characters in the movies, interesting facts, etc, etc...
I only want to buy one book, this are the ones I know about:

Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide by Jim Luceno
The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones by Anthony Magnoli
The Indiana Jones Handbook: The Complete Adventurer's Guide by Denise Kiernan

Can you help me with this? :gun:

Stoo

According to what you're looking for, "The Ultimate Guide" is the book to get.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
The Drifter said:
I agree with Stoo. I have all three, and the Ultimate Guide seems to be what you're looking for.

Although with brief descriptions, a nice complement to the Ultimate Guide is the Top Trumps Indiana Jones from Hayes.

img516.jpg

img520.jpg

img522.jpg

img524.jpg

img525.jpg

img528.jpg

img529.jpg

img566-2.jpg

img567-2.jpg

The Drifter

@JuniorJones

I love the bio and stats for Herman! Was this for some sort of card game or role-playing campaign?

Mati256

Thanks for all the answers.
The ultimate guide was my first choice but I wanted to ask the experts first. :D

Montana Smith

Mati256 said:
Thanks for all the answers.
The ultimate guide was my first choice but I wanted to ask the experts first. :D

From all accounts, "you chose wisely."

If you haven't already done so, you have to add The Complete Making of Indiana Jones by Bouzereau & Rinzler to your library.

:hat:

I.M.J.

If you buy the Ultimate Guide, I'd recommend dropping the coin on the limited leather bound edition. All of the criticisms from the standard Ultimate Guide still apply, but the Leatherbound edition has extra maps with overlays, a glossy photo pack and gilded pages that the original doesn't have - and it's incredibly limited.

jawajames

extra maps with overlays you say?(y)

is it worth buying the deluxe edition if i already own the regular version? hmm...

indyclone25

I.M.J. said:
If you buy the Ultimate Guide, I'd recommend dropping the coin on the limited leather bound edition. All of the criticisms from the standard Ultimate Guide still apply, but the Leatherbound edition has extra maps with overlays, a glossy photo pack and gilded pages that the original doesn't have - and it's incredibly limited.
i bought that book too , but i have yet to open it . i will have to crack it open soon .:D

Dr.Sartorius

I wish they'd come up with an Indiana Jones encyclopedia/guide like the James Bond Encyclopedia. 100 pages on each of the 4 films would be awesome. :whip:

Montana Smith

Dr.Sartorius said:
I wish they'd come up with an Indiana Jones encyclopedia/guide like the James Bond Encyclopedia. 100 pages on each of the 4 films would be awesome. :whip:

I have that DK book, and know exactly what you mean. I also have their Secret World of 007 which would also port very well over Indy, complete with intricate cutaway/cross-section paintings of every notable location.

Indy Scout 117

Mati256 said:
Hello, I am looking for a good book to buy, some kind of guide with all the Indy bio, characters in the movies, interesting facts, etc, etc...

i have both the ultimate guide and the handbook. both are great books!! if you want Indy characters and bios, get the ultimate guide. if you wanna have a good laugh (if you read it you'll know what i mean ;) ) and learn to be like Indy, get the handbook. please note though that you should NOT try any of the crazy things in the handbook...:p

AnnieJones

Mati256 said:

I do love Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide book,but beware some of the information is misleading.What I love about it?It has the birth dates of most of the characters.Although Mutt's is debated.
Some of the information in The Lost Journal is also incorrect,but that's one of the many reasons why we have forums like this,to straighten those things out.

kongisking

The Ultimate Guide, by far, despite the fact that it completely short-changes KOTCS, wheras the previous three movies had very in-depth coverage. Grrr!

But that Top Trumps book looks fantastic. I need to find that!

Montana Smith

AnnieJones said:
I do love Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide book...

I love DK's format - I have their 007, X-Men and Spider-Man guides.

Seeing this thread pop up again this morning sent me looking to Play.com for used book prices. On ebay the Indy guide always seems to command high prices. A seller on Play had a used 'good' condition one for £3.57 delivered, but he was also selling the same book on Abe for £2.91 delivered.

So finally, I'm (hopefully) going to be adding this guide to my collection.

UltimateGuide.jpg

Montana Smith

The DK Ultimate Guide arrived today. Just a brief flick through confirms that this is a really nice volume (inaccuracies notwithstanding). I really like the big cutaway pictures. Shame that it appears KOTCS came too late to get cutaways done.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
The DK Ultimate Guide arrived today. Just a brief flick through confirms that this is a really nice volume (inaccuracies notwithstanding). I really like the big cutaway pictures. Shame that it appears KOTCS came too late to get cutaways done.

The cutaway pictures was my favorite part of the guide. Also, as a fun little detail - Look at the cutaway of the Temple of Doom. You can see how close the Thuggee were to unearthing the remaining Sankara Stones!