Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - uncut in UK for 1st time

oki9Sedo

barranca

Wow, didn't even know that existed. I like both, they have very different feels this one leaves nothing to the imagination. The cut version has a feel of it being a 'magicians trick'.

No Ticket

I'd have to say I like Uncut better. Because the part where his hand goes into his chest always makes me cringe in my seat and then cover my heart... lol... plus I like how it closes back up.

Michael24

Have always heard about the cut version, but never seen it until now. I guess it still works okay, but I think the uncut version is better. I think that by seeing the graphic detail (using the word "graphic" loosely here since it's probably pretty tame compaired to what we see in movies nowadays), it lends a greater sense of..... suspense(?) to the scene later on when Mola Ram tries to do the same thing to Indy on the side of the cliff. It's like, we know exactly what's in store for Indy if he fails to hold him off.

metalinvader

I never saw the cut version 'till today.Eh,I'll take the uncut version anyday of the week.Hey,It's the one I grew up with!:D

deckard24

Michael24 said:
Have always heard about the cut version, but never seen it until now. I guess it still works okay, but I think the uncut version is better. I think that by seeing the graphic detail (using the word "graphic" loosely here since it's probably pretty tame compaired to what we see in movies nowadays), it lends a greater sense of..... suspense(?) to the scene later on when Mola Ram tries to do the same thing to Indy on the side of the cliff. It's like, we know exactly what's in store for Indy if he fails to hold him off.

Nice point, it does add to the suspense with Indy and Mola Ram on the rope bridge. Yeah, the scene was gory and over-the-top, but in a campy way imo!

Professor Jones

Indiscussingly the UNCUT version, for several reasons:

1. It's edited in the regular way, so it's more beautiful and rythmic: the cut one it's too fast, because of the cutting: no suspense, no thrill, you feel that something's missing;

2. It's the original one, that reflects the intention and the purposes of the director (and the Authors in general... that includes Mr. Lucas);

3. I love its special effects, for simple they could be;

3. It's the one I'm accostumed to.

Anyway, here in Italy, I never heard about the cut version.

oki9Sedo

The Thuggee Guard/Indy fight scene is heavily cut too. These are all gone:

1. The Thuggee Chief Guard whacking Indy on the back after he jump-kicks him.

2. The guard punching Indy in the ribs and making him gasp for air (the "I've gotta save him!/"He can take care of himself!"/"He needs me!" exchange is also removed to make the cut more seamless)

3. The guard's grunts of effort as he lifts Indy off the ground, carries him, hoists him in the air and dumps him in the mine cart, and his laughter when Shorty starts smacking him on the arse.

4. The guard's grunts when Indy kicks and punches him as he pushes the cart and climbs in.

5. Some of Indy's more upsetting cries of pain and fear as he's being stabbed and held down on the conveyer belt are gone.

6. The bloodstain on the rock-crusher is seen more briefly.

If they found that stuff bad, I'm surprised they didn't cut the guard smashing the rock into Indy's face. Not that I think that needs to be cut, its just that its worse than the other stuff they cut.

loganbush

1. The Thuggee Chief Guard whacking Indy on the back after he jump-kicks him.

2. The guard punching Indy in the ribs and making him gasp for air (the "I've gotta save him!/"He can take care of himself!"/"He needs me!" exchange is also removed to make the cut more seamless)

3. The guard's grunts of effort as he lifts Indy off the ground, carries him, hoists him in the air and dumps him in the mine cart, and his laughter when Shorty starts smacking him on the arse.

4. The guard's grunts when Indy kicks and punches him as he pushes the cart and climbs in.

5. Some of Indy's more upsetting cries of pain and fear as he's being stabbed and held down on the conveyer belt are gone.

6. The bloodstain on the rock-crusher is seen more briefly.

Some of that stuff makes Indy what he is: human. And that's why he's my favorite action hero. I wonder why they pick those specific scenes.

No question about it, the US cut is infinitely better. Ferman was a rapist; a cinematic butcher who deemed himself a great artist playing with other's works. A prideful, moralist scumbag. Who is he to decide what's acceptable?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xruck30dm4U

I suggest watching that. There's some interesting interviews with him and discussions with Mary Whitehouse, etc. It's a documentary about Video Nasties. Pretty good doc; it was a main source for my Cannibal Holocaust paper in Film History last semester. It's been about a month since I watched it, but I do believe they discuss Temple of Doom at some point in the doc... I could be mistaken though.

oki9Sedo

loganbush said:
Some of that stuff makes Indy what he is: human. And that's why he's my favorite action hero. I wonder why they pick those specific scenes.

You mean those specific moments in that fight scene? I don't think any of them needed to be cut myself.

Indy getting punched in the back? In the ribs? Thats nothing.

The grunts and laughter of the Thuggee guard? That's just taking the ****. There's nothing unsuitable about that.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The only time I saw the cut version was the first time I watched ToD on TV. They cut the hand going into the chest and closing back up and they still cut it out on TV. On VHS and DVD versions, the uncut version is there. I prefer it and I've seen much bloodier movies that are given the same rating and are not censored as much on TV.

Bjorn Heimdall

barranca said:
Wow, didn't even know that existed. I like both, they have very different feels this one leaves nothing to the imagination. The cut version has a feel of it being a 'magicians trick'.

Yeah I agree. Both are good and I have nothing against the cut scene because it gives you a kind of "Did he actually do it or didn't he?" option.

DaveTheHutt

Coming from the UK, I only saw the uncut version a couple of years ago when I imported the Indy boxset from the US.

Having grown up only knowing Temple Of Doom in its cut form, watching the uncut version was bizarre - to see something I'd watched literally dozens of times and knew off by heart (no pun intended) in a different way... very odd!

...And to be honest, a little disappointing - the actual heart plucking looks ridiculously fake and almost as if it's been spliced in from a different film - the lighting and framing is totally different to the rest of the scene, and the lack of background makes it clear it was not shot on the temple soundstage.

Plus I hate the way Mola Ram's fingers fumble their way into the victim's chest... it looks like he's trying pluck a slippery pickle from a jar!

I'd have preferred something a little subtler and maybe halfway between the cut and uncut version, where the plucking is less visually explicit yet you can still clearly understand happening - what's left to the imagination is far more powerful than what's seen.

The more annoying cuts, IMHO, are those of the victim descending into the lava and Mola Ram holding the flaming heart - it's a little overlong but it conveys a genuine sense of terror.

Overall, then, the uncut version is definitely the superior one - and if nothing else, it *is* Spielberg and Lucas' original vision for the scene - but I think the cut version actually indicates some ways it could've been made better.