Unproduced ROTLA Coke glasses

This topic came up in another thread -- and I don't want it to go off topic. So here it is from the start...

Sorry to burst your bubble tnswman but they are $400+ each. Novelty glass collectors treat these like a 'Holy Grail' from the 1980's era. Unproduced glasses from media are always expensive. I saw a set go a year ago for almost $2k!

I haunted glass collecting sites for years to finally find a set up for auction (glass collectors have their own venues for auction - they rarely use eBay).

Here's a shot of mine (which I love and put into a glass case as soon as they arrived) -

museum 015.jpg

Many questions were asked of me, so here's what I do know...

LFL liked the Burger King glasses from SW and wanted to do the same with ROTLA. For whatever reason they made it as far as painted samples and then were canceled. I do not know if it was Coke, Burger King or LFL that pulled the plug.

It is thought that less than 2 dozen of these sets exist (they were samples for the involved parties to inspect and aprrove)...

They currently sell for $400+ each. Best I ever saw was one on eBay four years ago for $250 - it lasted 15 minutes. Finding sets of all 3 is very hard.

Any other questions?

DoomTown

I really want to find some "Temple of Doom" glasses... I had them years ago, along with the "Star Wars" glasses, but like LOTS of other things, they vanished over the years...:(

tnswman

throwmetheidol said:
This topic came up in another thread -- and I don't want it to go off topic. So here it is from the start...

Sorry to burst your bubble tnswman but they are $400+ each. Novelty glass collectors treat these like a 'Holy Grail' from the 1980's era. Unproduced glasses from media are always expensive. I saw a set go a year ago for almost $2k!

I haunted glass collecting sites for years to finally find a set up for auction (glass collectors have their own venues for auction - they rarely use eBay).

Here's a shot of mine (which I love and put into a glass case as soon as they arrived) -

museum 015.jpg

That's why I gave the $1200 price...Which I still think is too high because these are out there and have not always been thought of as a high end collectible.

tnswman

throwmetheidol said:
Many questions were asked of me, so here's what I do know...

LFL liked the Burger King glasses from SW and wanted to do the same with ROTLA. For whatever reason they made it as far as painted samples and then were canceled. I do not know if it was Coke, Burger King or LFL that pulled the plug.

It is thought that less than 2 dozen of these sets exist (they were samples for the involved parties to inspect and aprrove)...

They currently sell for $400+ each. Best I ever saw was one on eBay four years ago for $250 - it lasted 15 minutes. Finding sets of all 3 is very hard.

Any other questions?

The word from Coke ( that went around years ago ) is that they were already into production when LFL felt that they were geting stuck with too much of the promotion bill and that BK was not interested in running a promotion that would have lasted long enough to generate the required sales.

It seems that Coke was the Middle man here or at least was playing one.

It has also been said that sets were given out to various Coke and LFL employee's.

I don't think that we will ever know. To be honest, when I bought them, I thought they were old and not "rare" it was several years later when I learned about the common story.

Supposedly, one seller tried to sell several sets of these in the old ToyShop paper and was shut down by LFL because of these and other "unproduced items"

tnswman

How about the Young Indy Pepsi Glass? That's something I do not know anything about....Was there just the one of Indy or was it a set?

tnswman

Les, Here is the information that I found that more reasonably matches the prices that I have heard about in the past. http://www.glassnews.com/090802.htm

The $1200 price tag that I last saw just seemed too high since these keep popping up through the years and nobody knows how many sets there are.

Butto answer the above question, this states that there were just 3 Glasses.. Which makes sense if certain people each got a set as to why we always see 3 glasses together.

tnswman said:
Les, Here is the information that I found that more reasonably matches the prices that I have heard about in the past. http://www.glassnews.com/090802.htm

That posting is over 6 years old and well out of date.

tnswman said:
The $1200 price tag that I last saw just seemed too high since these keep popping up through the years and nobody knows how many sets there are.

But to answer the above question, this states that there were just 3 Glasses.. Which makes sense if certain people each got a set as to why we always see 3 glasses together.

Really? Because for 5+ years I could never find a complete set - just singles.

tnswman said:
How about the Young Indy Pepsi Glass? That's something I do not know anything about....Was there just the one of Indy or was it a set?

There are several YIJ glasses; I'll post photos before the weekend.

tnswman

throwmetheidol said:
That posting is over 6 years old and well out of date.

Really? Because for 5+ years I could never find a complete set - just singles.

Yea, That's what I mean that that's the most accurate pricing I have ever seen since I bought my set.

I honestly have NEver seen a single glass..I would love to though

Of course, It has been YEARS since I have even thought about this set of glasses

tnswman

throwmetheidol said:
There are several YIJ glasses; I'll post photos before the weekend.

Cool, Please do because I am just aware of the Young Indy ( with both versions of Incy on the glass ) from the Peosi set.

I know the different tumblers from other countries though.

tnswman said:
The word from Coke ( that went around years ago ) is that they were already into production when LFL felt that they were geting stuck with too much of the promotion bill and that BK was not interested in running a promotion that would have lasted long enough to generate the required sales.

It seems that Coke was the Middle man here or at least was playing one.

It has also been said that sets were given out to various Coke and LFL employee's.

I don't think that we will ever know. To be honest, when I bought them, I thought they were old and not "rare" it was several years later when I learned about the common story.

Supposedly, one seller tried to sell several sets of these in the old ToyShop paper and was shut down by LFL because of these and other "unproduced items"

The link provided is the source for the picture I posted as well, thanks for the info, if you will: what did you pay before you knew they were rare and when and where!

Thanks for some perspective, time to go repro:dead:

tnswman

Rocket Surgeon said:
The link provided is the source for the picture I posted as well, thanks for the info, if you will: what did you pay before you knew they were rare and when and where!

Thanks for some perspective, time to go repro:dead:

The set I had was from the Heroes show vendor back in 1993 for $285....This was on a Sunday at a more traditional Comic book show. This guy was about the only one who was selling everything from Marx playsets to novelty glasses. You know, one of those old guys at a show that have a booth of everything and just happy to sell something so he can go to the next show. However, he had a LOT of old playsets that are VERY rare.

It was a few years after that when the whole debate opened up to me about what the glasses actually were. That's when you got the feel that there were about 5 or 20 different stories about what they are and how many there are. In the end, who knows. as far as I know, I have not seen mine in a few years and they could be smashed to bits as far as I know LOL!

I hope that helps.

Who knows, maybe this thread will cause someone to find a set out there.

throwmetheidol said:
Because for 5+ years I could never find a complete set - just singles.

The link provided is the source for the picture I posted as well, thanks for the info, if you will: what did you pay before you knew they were rare and when and where!:dead:

tnswman

Lonsome_Drifter said:
They look like those old Smucker's jelly glasses.
After the jelly is gone, we can drink outta them! KEWL!

LOL! Or collect tadpoles in them :) ( That may be showing my southern raising )

What's sad is that it's the truth