The last time Indiana Jones graced the big screen...

HovitosKing

New game: post something unique to the last year Indiana Jones graced the big screen ('89). It's fun, and it also makes you think about just how long it's been since Last Crusade. I'll start us off with a few that I like:

The last time Indiana Jones graced the big screen...

...George H.W. Bush was inaugurated as the 41st U.S. president and Dan Quayle became vice-president

...U.S. forces invaded Panama. General Noriega surrendered and was held on drug charges (he is being released in September 2007, btw)

...the Berlin Wall fell

...the top US TV show was Rosanne

Even more amazing (imo) are computer-related factoids:

...MS-DOS 4.01 had just been released (November '88)

...Apple Computer announced the Macintosh Portable, featuring a 16 MHz Motorola 68000 CMOS processor, 1 MB RAM, 40 MB hard drive, 3.5 inch 1.4 MB SuperDrive floppy drive, keyboard, trackball, 9.8 inch active matrix 640x400 monochrome LCD screen. Weight was 17 pounds; size was 15.25 x 14.3 x 4 inches; price was US$6500. The system ran for about 8 hours on a lead-acid gel battery pack

...Microsoft would not introduce and ship Microsoft Windows 3.0 until the following year (May '90)

I now open the floor to anyone else who would like to help put in perspective just how long we Indy fans have been waiting for another sequel.

Gear

I saw Temple of Doom with my friends on the big screen at the park at dusk about 3 weeks ago and back then I was out of school(!)... for the summer, George W. Bush was still in office, Paul McCartney had just released his new single, we were scared about China's less than perfect stuff, There was a meteore shower about to happen and Opus was telling us funny stories from Bloomberg County.(y)

No Ticket

- In March 1989, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (11 million gallons) of oil after running aground.

- The Dilbert comic first appears.

- Nintendo releases the FIRST Game Boy (with that yellow screen)

- Disney MGM Studios opens (with Indy stunt spectacular)

- Tiananmen Square protests happen

- The Sky Dome opened in Toronto

- Voyager 2 passed by Neptune. Neptune is 2.68 billion miles from earth at it's minimal distance. As of July 6, 2007... Voyager 2 was 7.65 billion miles from earth.

- Daniel Radcliffe, the star of the Harry Potter movies was born on July 23rd, 1989. Which is almost exactly two months AFTER Last Crusade opened in theaters.

- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation hadn't come out yet. Incidentally, Chevy Chase looked like this in 1989.

ChistmasVacation4.jpeg

and now he looks like this (and he is YOUNGER than Harrison Ford by a few years):

cc.jpg

- The Little Mermaid came out later that year and breathed some life back into the Disney animated feature franchise. It was the last cel-painted and animated Disney feature. All done on computer since then.

- I was four years old. I'm 22 now.

- Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog first came out in August, 1989.

- Dragon Ball Z (that anime cartoon) began in April 1989.

- Uhhmm... Batman came out? I think you all knew that, lol.

- I'm really out of stuff. Pluto was still a planet? lol.

Kingsley

Salvador Dali, Sergio Leone and the Ayatollah Khomeini died...
and Jake Lloyd, the little Anakin, was born...

Maradona looked like this... then like this... and now... well
index.jpg
maradona.jpg
535764.jpg

Niteshade007

At first I thought that said "Madonna."

-Umm...Madonna was popular? I don't know.

-I was a year old (this would explain why I don't really know anything about this year)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There was also Star Trek 5, Batman 1, and James Bond 16... next year we'll see Star Trek 11 (episode 1), Batman 6 (episode 2), and James Bond 22 (episode 2). If only Fletch Won and Ghostbusters 3 had come together in time, it would be 1989 all over again. It's satisfying to see every other franchise had to reboot...