Superman: Man of Steel

How should the Superman franchise continue?

• Let Singer's franchise continue

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Let Millar's revamp take place

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters

The Man

So that makes three Superman movies they're officially ignoring. Maybe Warners should simply leave it be and move on...

No Ticket

Personally I think the reboot is good. It's what they SHOULD have done in the first place. Superman Returns... ugh!

I think a little space between that film and the new one is needed. Maybe wait until the Batman films are done with. But they won't.

I just hope this time they really give Superman something to do.

TheMutt92

You see, the thing that still has me a little ticked at this whole thing now is that Singer left X3 to do SR. Becuase of this X3 was only okay/good, and now SR is being wished out of existence. Talk about a waste.

(Crazy, yes, but this is the part where I really wish I had a time machine!)

RaideroftheArk

Other than Batman...I think Superman's origin is the most widely known origin in comic history. Do we really need ANOTHER movie explaining that Krypton Blew up, he was raised by the Kents (Which I think Smallville has covered in great lenghts over the past 7 years)...he comes to Metropolis, falls in love with Lois...

I just don't see how a Reboot can be fresh and exciting?

You know what I think? I think DC needs to pull a few other Superheros out of the closet before everyone thinks the ONLY TWO Superheros in the DC UNIVERSE are Batman and Superman.

Just curious...but what if WB came to you and said "hey we want a new superman movie...it has to take place after Superman II" How would you have done it?

Me personally... I would have kept Superman disappearing for 5 years to go search for Krypton... I would have kept Lois moving on, but would have not given her a child. The most important aspect...I would have made Lex Luthor a business Tycoon establishing Lexcorp throughout the world....I would have made Lex Luthor a "loved by the public character." How could he have bounced back from being behind bars for crimes against humanity? Well in true comic book fashion I would have had him the villian you felt sympathy for...he was temporaily insane, greif stricken over something...but is now on the rise to redemption...and most importantly....HE DID NOT ABANDON METROPOLIS LIKE SUPERMAN ABANDON THEM. Yes, that's what his platform for his redemption would have been...he would have given back to metropolis by employing thousands of people at Lexcorp, giving to charity each year, making his products available in every houshold....essentially becoming THE AMERICAN WAY that Superman stands for.

Of course behind the scenes I would have made him determined to kill Superman. I would have explored more into Lex's paranoia over Superman being too powerful and his personal quest to destroy him before he destroys us.

I don't know, I would have done things a little different then the way they played out in SR...only because I wanted to see the series go into different directions...perhaps bring other characters that we have never seen on the big screen.

The Man

Had Superman Returns made sufficient money at the b.o. this would not be happening. They were 'delighted' with Singer's 'vision' before the dollars were added up.

The last Superman movie they were satisfied with was released back in 1980!!! Shouldn't they just stop? When they've denounced THREE out of five movies, then that franchise is best left alone...

No Ticket

The Man said:
Had Superman Returns made sufficient money at the b.o. this would not be happening. They were 'delighted' with Singer's 'vision' before the dollars were added up.

The last Superman movie they were satisfied with was released back in 1980!!! Shouldn't they just stop? When they've denounced THREE out of five movies, then that franchise is best left alone...

Well it was the best Superman movie made SINCE the one in 1980!! haha... but it wasn't really that great. I also am not a big fan of Routh in the role.

But it doesn't matter they've denounced three out of five movies, the franchise will continue on after we're all dead.

The Man

Spacey survives the revamp..?

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEl5Jolp3Nmeom

Kevin Spacey will once again transform into Superman’s arch-foe, Lex Luthor, in the next Superman film, tentatively titled Superman: The Man of Steel.

What this means on the heels of the news that Warner Brothers is looking for a “darker tone” to the next film in the Superman franchise is unclear. It is similarly uncertain if Brandon Routh, who played Superman/Clark Kent, or director Bryan Singer will be back.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/e...pacey-my-anger-is-all-on-screen-13992719.html

If anything, his work at the Old Vic has placed his experience making movies in sharp relief. "The main difference between the experience that I've had over these last five and a half years and making movies is that movies are very unorganic to make. They're put together and a year later you go and see them and you go 'wow that really worked out'; or 'wow, that really didn't'. Then they go off in to cinemas and you don't see how it affects people, experiencing it night after night. And also, in the movie business, no matter how good you might be in a movie, you'll never be any better. What you learn in the organic living experiment of coming to work every night and tackling a role in a play with a company from previews to 16 weeks later is a journey." That may not go down so well with the producers of the follow-up to Superman Returns, who will be paying him big bucks to reprise his role as Lex Luthor next year. "Well, look. If I'm not producing, then I'm an actor for hire. It ends there. That doesn't mean you're not working with a director and other actors and a writer to make the best movie you can, but it's a temporal experience, you'll be together for a couple of weeks or months and then you're done."

deckard24

Seriuosly why does Lex Luthor have to be in every Superman film? Can't they just come up with a new villain? Batman doesn't fight the Joker in every movie, nor does Spiderman fight the Green Goblin! Also Luthor isn't even really a threat to Superman in the way a Doomsday character would be. We need some serious one-on-one fighting between Superman and his villain, not him flying around the world trying to undo whatever natural disaster has been set into motion by Lex! If WB really wants to make a film that will excite moviegoers, they need to put Superman in some serious peril and have him actually fight! Enough of the lifting of heavy objects for 2 1/2 hours!

The Man

Revamp spares Routh aswell...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-dc-comics-president-gives-superman-update-5511

In fact, he told me that ?Last week Brandon Routh has come around the offices in New York and Los Angeles as of late to talk about Superman and what we want to do???blah blah blah!

At first I thought it was the Apple Martini I was drinking but I soon realized that I just heard a bombshell go off in my brain! Brandon? He did say Brandon Routh was coming around talking about Superman! Why the hell would they be talking to Brandon if he was not going to be part of the reboot? Because he?s still in the mix!!!

The truth of the matter is that the way Mr. Levitz made it seem is that they love Brandon as Clark Kent and that he?s just a great guy, which I agree. I mean remember we at Latino Review told EVERYONE he was going to be the next Superman.

RaideroftheArk

deckard24 said:
Seriuosly why does Lex Luthor have to be in every Superman film? Can't they just come up with a new villain? Batman doesn't fight the Joker in every movie, nor does Spiderman fight the Green Goblin! Also Luthor isn't even really a threat to Superman in the way a Doomsday character would be. We need some serious one-on-one fighting between Superman and his villain, not him flying around the world trying to undo whatever natural disaster has been set into motion by Lex! If WB really wants to make a film that will excite moviegoers, they need to put Superman in some serious peril and have him actually fight! Enough of the lifting of heavy objects for 2 1/2 hours!

The only way Lex would be a threat to Superman in the movies is if he, like in the comic book, became the president of the United States. They would have to turn Lex into everything Superman stands for and have the vast majority of the public love Lex.

That's what I wanted to see in a new Superman movie...I thought it would have been cool to see Superman come back to earth after awhile to find that Lex Luthor was now pop-icon...with millions of dollars and the power to sway the public opinion. This way he could scheme to take out Superman but if it fails, he could still come out smelling like a rose.

Agreed that they either need to revamp Lex into a totally different type of character or just do away with him and give Superman a worthy threat to fight against....they almost got it right with Superman II.

kongisking

Nice going, Warner Bros. Ruining all the opportunities given by SR.

Superman Returns was a brilliant work of pure awesomeness. Harry Knowles said it better than anyone. How die-hard Supes fans could possibly hate this film is beyond my mental capacity. Christ the Lord, people, grow up. Superman Returns kicked my ass over-the-rainbow and back! The hell with anyone who thinks Returns sucked. Unappreciative, disrespectful, whiny jerkwads. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And I don't care if I get booted by mods. If nobody else is going to defend Superman Returns from all the schoolyard-bullying it is getting, I might as well do it. I'll be goddamned if anyone can change my conviction that Returns was, is and ALWAYS will be a masterpiece. Bring it on!!!!! LOVE LIVE SUPES!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lonsome Indy

thank you

Superman Returns was what it was, and i walked out satisfied with what i got. it was nice seeing a superhero, like Superman, portrayed humanly. i mean, i know its a comic hero and of course i understand that there has to be action but i liked that there was an actual story to it too. and honestly i was pretty choked up when Superman was just plain being harassed by Lex and his thugs on the island. you have to give Singer credit for creating that.

i say give Singer that second chance. he definitely has the potential to make up for the flaws in SR.

caats

i'm a big comic reader. i love superman returns. but i know it was the wrong movie. i want a good movie, but i want it to be successful too. i'm glad they wanna do it right and aren't rushing

The Man

Intrigued? Oh yes..!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23521

Mark Millar wants to create an epic 8-hour screen story which will follow the entire life of Kal-El from his birth on Krypton a thousand years ago, until he is the last being left on Earth.

Mark has been working closely with a ?big-Hollywood action director? ? who he refuses to name at this stage ? on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion. Although several other sources have reported similar conversations with Mark, he went into further detail, fleshing out the story arc a little more.

?I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

RaideroftheArk

I don't know...that sounds a little depressing....

Also...how interesting will it be to see Kal-El on Krypton? Wasn't he just a baby when the shot him to Earth?

...and if they do adjust the story to where he grows up a little before leaving...how interesting will it be? He has no super powers on Krypton...and I thought the whole intrigue of Superman was his Super Powers?

I think things are starting to get silly again with the Superman franchise...this reminds me of all the wacked out rumors that were heard during the production hell the movie was in before Superman Returns.

agentsands77

I think that sounds great. Very mythological, with a surprisingly poignant and beautiful finale. I doubt it'll go through, though. Too bold.