Opening shot for Indiana Jones 5

Mickiana

Not bad, but it depends where it's supposed to be in terms of the plot for Indy5. Looks like the US or Canada. Where is it precisely?

IndyJr.

The opening shot is that of a Vietnamese mountain. We look down to see a POW camp.

(coordinates: 21 31 39N 105 31 52E)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Hilton

Inside we see Mutt strapped to a chair, obviously starving and beat up. The torturer is trying to break Mutt by forcing him to disown his country. He refuses and he is then beaten again. Suddenly the lights go out and the Vietnamese soldier is screaming in his own language for the lights to be fixed. He opens the door to see another Vietnamese soldier standing at the door bleeding from his mouth. He falls onto the torturer. The torturer pulls out his gun and goes out. The watchtowers shine lights over to him asking what the matter is. As they shine the lights in one direction, the silhouette of the "man with the hat" is briefly seen. Noticing this, the man turns the light back over to the wall, but the silhouette is gone. Suddenly the man is shot the light unintentionally spins over revealing Indiana Jones who shoots the torturer. Indy runs in to find Mutt, unstraps him and gives him a gun. Then father and son break out of the building. US airplanes then appear behind the trees as they join in the fight. Finally one plane lands as Indy and Mutt board the plane. In the plane Mutt apologizes for running off into the war. Indy explains that he'll be in big trouble because he promised Marion he would give up his adventures right before he got the message about Mutt being captured; Indy left without alerting Marion. Later they arrive in America where Indy is in his classroom teaching, one of his students being a girl named Debby Brown (Natalie Portman). After class Indy leaves the campus and somehow he gets dragged into another archeological adventure including Debby and Mutt (who fall in love together). They travel to China and meet a 30 year old archeologist Short Round.

That's my version of the intro. The story continues through China, Mongolia and Siberia. The Russians and Chinese are the enemies.

Not too bad, actually, Junior. Unfortunately, they seem to be definitively steering away from anything that hard edged. It would be awesome, I think, to see him kicking tail Raiders style like you described.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is Mutt coming along to China for the main adventure. If Short Round is going to be in it, I fear the same problem as KOTCS where Indy ends up being a secondary part of the action too much. I'd leave Mutt at home when Indy leaves to go meet Shorty.

IndyJr.

robisindy said:
Not too bad, actually, Junior. Unfortunately, they seem to be definitively steering away from anything that hard edged. It would be awesome, I think, to see him kicking tail Raiders style like you described.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is Mutt coming along to China for the main adventure. If Short Round is going to be in it, I fear the same problem as KOTCS where Indy ends up being a secondary part of the action too much. I'd leave Mutt at home when Indy leaves to go meet Shorty.

Or for a little while Indy, Mutt, Short Round and Debby could be part of the adventure until they soon get split up into two teams. Indy and Short Round as one. and Mutt and Debby as the other team. But even that may not be a safe move. Perhaps Short Round can drop out of the adventure near the end, for an explainable reason and then Mutt and Debby can meet back up with Indy for the finale against the Russians. Only three that way. But Mutt is a must. And a love interest for him is also a must. But Shorty would be just interesting. But if they'll be in China, it'd be a good opportunity to bring in Shorty.

But personally I'd rather Shorty be left out than Mutt. You can't leave out his son and pretend he never existed. Although they could drop Mutt's story as well as the Vietnamese intro off until Indy VI (explain that he ran off to war without his parent's consent) and then for Indy V do the Chinese adventure with just Indy and Shorty against the Russians and Chinese. Then for Indy VI Indy can be with Mutt and Natalie's character in an adventure in England, Ireland and possible Northern Africa which is a story involving Stonehenge (and don't forget the POW intro ;) ). They say Stonehenge s stones were brought from Africa (that's just a myth), but they could connect that with the Great Pyramids somehow and have Indy, Mutt and Debby explore the Pyramids and a mention could be made that the inter-dimensional aliens helped with the pyramids as well (though this story must NOT be about aliens... just a mention would do)... the story would do much better about Celtic and Egyptian folklore and artifacts... now what about?

It's difficult coming up with artifacts to use. It's a real temptation to bring in Alexander's Peacock's Eye diamond. :p

Last edited: