Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Forbidden Eye

kongisking said:
Thank you so much for these! Damn, does it feel good seeing my dear Cap'n Jack and Mr. Gibbs again! Yee-haw!

Yeah, I'm glad to see Mr. Gibbs back too. Although nobody pays attention to anyone but Captain Jack, I grew quite fond of all those minor reappearing characters through-out the trilogy, particularly Marty and Mr. Cotton(I hope they're both back).

dr.jones1986

Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah, I'm glad to see Mr. Gibbs back too. Although nobody pays attention to anyone but Captain Jack, I grew quite fond of all those minor reappearing characters through-out the trilogy, particularly Marty and Mr. Cotton(I hope they're both back).

I agree that too many people only pay attention to Jack, but Mr.Gibbs was a great character, so glad he is back. I hope they bring back the other crew members as well. I am especially glad Barbossa is back, he is my favorite character.

kongisking

dr.jones1986 said:
I agree that too many people only pay attention to Jack, but Mr.Gibbs was a great character, so glad he is back. I hope they bring back the other crew members as well. I am especially glad Barbossa is back, he is my favorite character.

Oh, definitely! Barbossa is insanely cool. Just watch the scene in At World's End where the Chinese ship is falling off the Ends of the Earth, and while everyone else is panicking and freaking out, Barbossa is laughing his head off with insane glee! THAT is why I love him, folks.

And Gibbs was so much fun. Love his exposition scenes! And don't forget the eternal coolness of Marty, Cotton and Jack the monkey.

RedeemedChild

Forbidden Eye said:

As far as I'm concerned you can't have Pirates of the Caribbean without Mr. Joshamee Gibbs or mythic titanic villians like Davy Jones and his pet Kraken! I can't believe Disney killed off both the Kraken and Davy Jones in At World's End. That was so upsetting.

I hope that Anamaria (Zoe Saldana) will be featured in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Another thing I hope Disney won't do is cause Captain Sparrow to lose his "freedom" by settling down with a wife. Jack Sparrow is a pirate (with heart) and nothing more or less, howbeit a good fellow. I can't stand how DreamWorks ruined Shrek by having Princess Fiona go from human to ogre! I sure hope Disney won't take Mermaid Syrena (Astrid-Berges Frisbey) from being Mermaid to being Human or else Disney will have forever lost the Pirates fan in me.

Goonie

RedeemedChild said:
I hope that Anamaria (Zoe Saldana) will be featured in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Another thing I hope Disney won't do is cause Captain Sparrow to lose his "freedom" by settling down with a wife. Jack Sparrow is a pirate (with heart) and nothing more or less, howbeit a good fellow. I can't stand how DreamWorks ruined Shrek by having Princess Fiona go from human to ogre! I sure hope Disney won't take Mermaid Syrena (Astrid-Berges Frisbey) from being Mermaid to being Human or else Disney will have forever lost the Pirates fan in me.

Don't forget, Jack's unknown son will suddenly show up... played by Shia.

Dr. Gonzo

RedeemedChild said:
I can't stand how DreamWorks ruined Shrek by having Princess Fiona go from human to ogre! I sure hope Disney won't take Mermaid Syrena (Astrid-Berges Frisbey) from being Mermaid to being Human or else Disney will have forever lost the Pirates fan in me.

Have you ever heard of a fairy tale known as the little mermaid?

Matt deMille

Very interesting points, the last few posts. My two cents on 'em:

1) The supporting characters are more effective because everyone pays attention to Jack. A mistake too many franchises make is to develop the supporting characters. It's well intended, and seems to be what fans want, but in truth, their charm is lost if they get too much spotlight. Look what happened to Indy. Instead of him going balls-to-the-wall after the Ark, we got him dealing with family issues. As much as I like the supporting characters in Pirates -- some even more than Jack -- I hope they keep the focus on Jack so the supporting cast doesn't get overexposed.

2) Shia as Jack's son? God, let's hope not. But at least they've steered away from such a precedent. While both Indy's and Sparrow's fathers appeared in their respective third films, Indy's dad was there for the entire movie, but Sparrow's was only a cameo. Maybe that's to say "We're not going in that direction . . ." Hope hope hope.

RedeemedChild

Matt deMille said:
Very interesting points, the last few posts. My two cents on 'em:

1) The supporting characters are more effective because everyone pays attention to Jack. A mistake too many franchises make is to develop the supporting characters. It's well intended, and seems to be what fans want, but in truth, their charm is lost if they get too much spotlight. Look what happened to Indy. Instead of him going balls-to-the-wall after the Ark, we got him dealing with family issues. As much as I like the supporting characters in Pirates -- some even more than Jack -- I hope they keep the focus on Jack so the supporting cast doesn't get overexposed.

2) Shia as Jack's son? God, let's hope not. But at least they've steered away from such a precedent. While both Indy's and Sparrow's fathers appeared in their respective third films, Indy's dad was there for the entire movie, but Sparrow's was only a cameo. Maybe that's to say "We're not going in that direction . . ." Hope hope hope.

I agree with you on Number 1. However, don't fret over Number 2. You won't have to worry about Shia LaBeouff in Pirates. Disney won't stoop to that level I'm sure.

BTW Dr. Gonzo, I've seen Little Mermaid and I was't much of a fan of it either. ;)

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
I agree with you on Number 1. However, don't fret over Number 2. You won't have to worry about Shia LaBeouff in Pirates. Disney won't stoop to that level I'm sure.

BTW Dr. Gonzo, I've seen Little Mermaid and I was't much of a fan of it either. ;)

Not the Disney version.

Read the ones made by Grimm's Fairy tales. Gruesome that the Mermaid dies.

Dr. Gonzo

Agent Crab said:
Not the Disney version.

Read the ones made by Grimm's Fairy tales. Gruesome that the Mermaid dies.

That's the one I'm referring to... she sort of commits suicide... but ends up in the sky or something... the actual fairy tale

RedeemedChild

Dr. Gonzo said:
That's the one I'm referring to... she sort of commits suicide... but ends up in the sky or something... the actual fairy tale

Really Doctor? Fascinating Bones. Fascinating indeed. Sounds like the Little Mermaid meets Kid Icarus eh?

Okay, so as long as they don't ruin the Pirates movies. I liked the mermaids in the Pirates of the Caribbean books and if Disney stays true to the books then it'll all be fine and dandy with me. (Book Images Below)
n284920.jpg

n245068.jpg

BTW for those of you who did enjoy the Disney Little Mermaid Disney movies no offence from me to you. I found the first one to be alright but the sequels WERE TERRIBLE.

I can't believe how Disney ruined it by having the Mermaid MARRY a Human PRINCE and turing HUMAN and having DAUGHTER! Outright madness. Madness!

Why can't the protaganist remain who and what they are while the other interest accepts them for who and what they are? Now in the case of the Twilight saga it only made sense for Bella to transition from human to vampire because the latter lives far longer than the former. However I don't want Jack Sparrow to become a mermaid in any way. I simply want our beloved captain to only accept the charming Franch mermaid for who she is and visit her every ten years sort of like Davy Jones can only step on land every certain number of years.

Okay so if it's catchy to be in love with a Vampire than it's just bunkers to be in love with a Mermaid matey!

Last edited:

dr.jones1986

kongisking said:
Oh, definitely! Barbossa is insanely cool. Just watch the scene in At World's End where the Chinese ship is falling off the Ends of the Earth, and while everyone else is panicking and freaking out, Barbossa is laughing his head off with insane glee! THAT is why I love him, folks.

And Gibbs was so much fun. Love his exposition scenes! And don't forget the eternal coolness of Marty, Cotton and Jack the monkey.

I'd love to see Marty, Cotton (and parrot of course) and Jack the Monkey back. They added character to the Black Pearl.

RedeemedChild

dr.jones1986 said:
I'd love to see Marty, Cotton (and parrot of course) and Jack the Monkey back. They added character to the Black Pearl.

As long as they bring back Monkey Jack I'll be happy. Hopefully Tia Delma (Calypso) will be back as well as she is an intricate part of the Pirates of the Caribbean canon. Perhaps she can raise the Kraken from the depths of the sea. Or perhaps Disney will tackle the Leviathan? Moby Dick?

I wonder if the Flying Dutchman will also be part of the next Pirates of the Caribbean movies? We all know Will Turner is now the captain of said ship as we all saw what happened at the end of At World's End.

On another note; I hope that either Universal Studios or Warner Brothers will undertake the adaption of the "Pirates of Dark Water" series as those would be just as good on the silverscreen as is Pirates of the Caribbbean.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
Really Doctor? Fascinating Bones. Fascinating indeed. Sounds like the Little Mermaid meets Kid Icarus eh?

Can you stop compairing crap to things, please?

You have not even read Grimm's fairy tales or been read them as a child? Considering most Grimm's Fairy tales tend to be rather gruesome and nightmare fueling, where Disney adpations tend to be rather sugar coated. I am sure you can look up the Grimm's version online.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
Can you stop compairing crap to things, please?

You have not even read Grimm's fairy tales or been read them as a child? Considering most Grimm's Fairy tales tend to be rather gruesome and nightmare fueling, where Disney adpations tend to be rather sugar coated. I am sure you can look up the Grimm's version online.

Agent Crab I'm quite acquainted with the Grimm Tales. However, I simply didn't pay attention to all of them. I wasn't really into them all that much as I chose to immerse myself in video games and things like The Dark Side of the Moon, Tron, Greek Mythology, geek culture and Wired magazine.

I never really got into Disney fairy tales either. It wasn't until Disney released Pirates of the Caribbean and DreakWorks launched Shrek that I began turning my attention to these various things. Oh, and by the way Agent Crab I wasn't actually compairing anything to anything. I was simply being sarcastic; forgive me, but I enjoy the Jimmy Fallon show and sometimes I try to mimic that nonsense.

Regarding the Grimm Fairy Tales, I might not have actually read and seen the actual one of which you speak Agent Crab. I became a bit more aware of Grimm Fairly tales through the follow comics as I am quite a fan of Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood.

Snow White
942403-snow_white_large.jpg

snow+white.JPG

Little Red
247908-19824-118895-3-grimm-fairy-tales_super.jpg

Anyway, I think that or rather I hope Disney will officialy post a webpage for Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides soon and I hope that Orlando Bloom will at lest make a brief appearance in Pirates 4 as his character is still alive and wasn't slain. I also hope Disney will choose to bring closure regarding Will Turner's son. O perhaps the new teenage Church Missionary is Will's son?

Agent Crab

Most Disney ones tend to be more sugar coated more than anything. trust me. Read the orginal Cinderella. The Step Sisters cut off their toes in order for their feet to fit in the glass slipper.

Lulz.. Drekworks.

You mean "Dreamworks?'

Montana Smith

Agent Crab said:
Most Disney ones tend to be more sugar coated more than anything. trust me. Read the orginal Cinderella. The Step Sisters cut off their toes in order for their feet to fit in the glass slipper.

I remember being terrified by the 'real' fairtyales as a child. A lot of them were really gruesome and sinister - the stuff of nightmares. Take the attempted cannibalism of Hansel and Gretel!

The Ladybird version of Rumpelstiltskin was really creepy:

WLRumpel.jpg

Disney is certainly sugar-coated when set against the originals.

I much prefer these versions ;) :

247908-19824-118895-3-grimm-fairy-tales_super.jpg

942403-snow_white_large.jpg

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:

Lulz.. Drekworks.

You mean "Dreamworks?'

Yes, I ment Dreamworks. Sorry about the typo. Nevertheless, I do like Disney's Cinderella far better.

Disney has some great movies and than they have some that I simply don't like.

Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure are the best Disney has at the moment not to mention the ones they do with Pixar.

kongisking

RedeemedChild said:
Yes, I ment Dreamworks. Sorry about the typo. Nevertheless, I do like Disney's Cinderella far better.

Disney has some great movies and than they have some that I simply don't like.

Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure are the best Disney has at the moment not to mention the ones they do with Pixar.

Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame was a rare case of Disneyfication which actually resulted in the best adaptation yet.

RedeemedChild

kongisking said:
Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame was a rare case of Disneyfication which actually resulted in the best adaptation yet.

I agree. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was spectacular!

If Pirates of the Caribbean: On Sranger Tides is anything like Spider Man 3 in regards to the darkness of the story marrying religious redemption and the light at the end of the tunnel for the protaganist than this movie will be a surefire must see.

I know the tale will have to do with a young missionary having to aid Jack and the new mermaid from Jack's past (this is discussed in The Siren's Song) in their journey and so I wonder if the story will follow the themes of falling away, finding redemption and rising to new greatness like that of Spider Man 3?

n245068.jpg

I really enjoyed the Jack Sparrow books and I'm happy to see Disney using the premise of the books in the new movie On Stranger Tides.