Indy 5 news 2017

Forbidden Eye

Whatever hope we had of it getting shot this year seems dead.

I?m sure Ford will make it to 2020 to see the the premiere of the film he completed, but the fact there doesn?t seem to be a huge urgency or excitement among the creators is really reducing the excitement/curiosity I had for this.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
La La Land required many months of song and dance rehearsals before filming. West Side Story could require the same.

I can't imagine two Lucasfilm productions overlapping, Abrams and Spielberg each requesting every available large practical set, but who knows. There's an over-saturation problem which is why we haven't seen a Solo trailer yet, potentially the biggest film of the year, definitely top 3. Lucasfilm anticipated this by designating Indy the palate cleanser.

Udvarnoky

The time to shoot the movie is now, assuming the script is complete. Waiting until 2019 looks fine on paper, but in reality the next twelve months will see new projects spring up and distract Spielberg. It is not a hopeful sign that he is choosing not to focus on Indy even while his schedule has lightened up. It's like he's deliberately leaving room for another THE POST to happen, which doesn't send a strong message about his enthusiasm for this project.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Olliana said:
What's stopping them?

clock-animated-gif-19.gif

This year will likely be spent fine tuning the script, early location scouting and Harrison training. All for filming early next year. Don't think I need to say this but there is more to making a movie than showing up and filming. The fact that they have two years until the release gives the filmmakers time to get this right. Plus, Spielberg may get a break and some family time.

Gobi-1

Spielberg did just do two films back to back with The Post and Ready Player One so a break is not surprising. He's had similar breaks after doing back to back films. As others have mentioned West Side Story will have an extensive casting search which could take a year or two. While that's happening Spielberg can produce Indy 5.

What I find interesting is that Indy 5 will begin shooting in the winter instead of the summer as KotCS did. Could this indicate some snow bound locations? I hope so. Other then the exterior of The Raven in RotLA and rafting down the mountains in ToD snow has been rather lacking in the Indy films. I want to see snow plows, snowmobiles, dog sleds, things we haven't seen in an Indy film before.

:whip:
"Mush! Mush!"

Z dweller

The expected duration of the casting process for the WSS remake had me thinking.

Let's assume that the final Indy 5 script calls for flashback scenes with a younger actor.
Presumably the search for such actor would be shrouded in secrecy, in order not to give the plot away.

How long before shooting would they start looking?

Could they be looking already, for all we know?

IndyForever

Z dweller said:
The expected duration of the casting process for the WSS remake had me thinking.

Let's assume that the final Indy 5 script calls for flashback scenes with a younger actor.
Presumably the search for such actor would be shrouded in secrecy, in order not to give the plot away.

How long before shooting would they start looking?

Could they be looking already, for all we know?
Chris Pratt is the perfect actor right now to play a younger Indy but if anything I could see Spielberg going down the ILM CG de-aging route for Harrison like they are doing for Scorsese with Robert DeNiro on The Irishman. If its good enough for DeNiro + ILM then its good enough for Harrison but the voice is still a lot older not sure how they could ever fix that. It also seems a lot of time, effort & money for nothing.

If Spielberg really wants to still make Indy 5 he would be better off using all his available resource to make it around Harrison only as Indy start to finish. I still think the story is not anywhere near ready or there are major issues with it around originality, creativity & George (slowhand!!) Lucas input.

Until Spielberg is actually filming with Harrison I would file it under unobtainium :dead:

Lambonius

IndyForever said:
Chris Pratt is the perfect actor right now to play a younger Indy but if anything I could see Spielberg going down the ILM CG de-aging route for Harrison like they are doing for Scorsese with Robert DeNiro on The Irishman. If its good enough for DeNiro + ILM then its good enough for Harrison but the voice is still a lot older not sure how they could ever fix that. It also seems a lot of time, effort & money for nothing.

Christ Pratt is both too old and too jacked to play a convincing Indy. If they recast, they'll go with a lesser-known actor who is on the young side, because recasting is a long-term investment in the future of the IP. They're not going to cast someone who is pushing 40 like Pratt. No way, no how.

Controversy aside, CGI de-aging is also a terrible long-term investment for the future of the franchise. Disney wants to set themselves up to be able to milk the Indy IP far into the future. The only logical course of action from a business perspective is to recast with a much younger actor.

The only question is whether or not it will happen through flashback scenes in THIS movie, or if they'll save it for a full reboot in the next one.

Z dweller

Lambonius said:
The only question is whether or not it will happen through flashback scenes in THIS movie, or if they'll save it for a full reboot in the next one.
Doing the former would be the smarter move in more ways than one.

First of all, you'd give younger viewers a hero they can relate to, for at least part of the movie. Remember, Disney aim to please the whole family, not just parents and grandparents (no pun intended).
My bet is that they'll also have a young female sidekick for the older Indy section of the movie - et voila, everyone is happy.

Secondly, casting a young actor now, say someone in their early 20s, effectively gives Disney a second chance, should they need it.
If the young actor gets a good response great, they can carry on with him in future prequels.
If not, they can scrap him and go for someone a bit older for Indy 6, say late 20s to early 30s, which still gives them plenty of mileage.
Easy to explain away the change of actor if they set the Indy 6 story 5-6 years after the flashback scenes in Indy 5.

Face_Melt

Lambonius said:
Christ Pratt is both too old and too jacked to play a convincing Indy. If they recast, they'll go with a lesser-known actor who is on the young side, because recasting is a long-term investment in the future of the IP. They're not going to cast someone who is pushing 40 like Pratt. No way, no how.

Controversy aside, CGI de-aging is also a terrible long-term investment for the future of the franchise. Disney wants to set themselves up to be able to milk the Indy IP far into the future. The only logical course of action from a business perspective is to recast with a much younger actor.

I don?t think Pratt will be cast. But Harrison was 40 in Raiders, we should expect the new Indy to be about that age. Nobody really gravitated to a 20 year old Indy...

Randy_Flagg

Face_Palm said:
I don?t think Pratt will be cast. But Harrison was 40 in Raiders, we should expect the new Indy to be about that age. Nobody really gravitated to a 20 year old Indy...

I agree, I think 20 is a bit TOO young. It worked okay for the opening to LC because the point was to show his roots, but I don't think it would sustain an entire movie. The absolute youngest should be late 20s, but preferably no younger than mid-30s. Indy needs to seem knowledgeable, worldly and bit weathered, which is something a 20 year old simply can't convincingly portray.

Face_Melt

Randy_Flagg said:
I agree, I think 20 is a bit TOO young. It worked okay for the opening to LC because the point was to show his roots, but I don't think it would sustain an entire movie. The absolute youngest should be late 20s, but preferably no younger than mid-30s. Indy needs to seem knowledgeable, worldly and bit weathered, which is something a 20 year old simply can't convincingly portray.

Agreed fully.

TheFedora

Randy_Flagg said:

I think mid-thirties is an okay age for a younger actor to be honest. I think its a compromise that almost has to happen , not too young, not too old. But still recognizably Indy, is what I'm trying to say.

IndyForever

Pale Horse said:
Best casting, ever....

tumblr_nnpnqyNISU1tslewgo1_500.gif

Who was, if I recall, 20 years old while filming this....
If only the Spielberg who made that shot would turn up for Indy 5 :whip: instead of the post his popcorn era Spielberg :eek: I still think that transition shot is one of the greatest in all the Indy films. Perfect staging, editing, sound, music & atmosphere :hat:

Udvarnoky

Speaking of Short Round, I had a daydream of an Indiana Jones 5 story that takes Indy back to Asia and has him pitted against Ric Young, the actor who plays Lao Che's son (the one that doesn't die). You might also remember him from American Gangster:

964f3d0f5fbcd6dadc8f165acd8519c5.jpg

One of the questions Temple of Doom left me with was why Lao Che cared so much about the remains of Nurhaci. Yes, it was priceless from a historical perspective, but these guys were hoods, not museum curators. Money is a probable motive, but their gleeful laugh at obtaining Nurhaci is so conspiratorial, you could almost imagine that there's some bigger, more sinister purpose. What if there was some great power/evil they were hoping to unlock?

In my head I already see images of a haunted Manchurian mountain temple, Chinese mobsters, and the return of Short Round. Throw in Mark Rylance as a sidekick while you're at it. I'd see that movie.