Indy 5 news 2017

Udvarnoky

It's not just Ford, either. Michael Kahn is 81 and John Williams is 85. And while I'm sure Spielberg is as healthy as an ox, at 70 he isn't a spring chicken either.

The whole idea of this project is that it's supposed to be the last hurrah from the original team. You'd think they'd at least pretend there's a sense of urgency about it.

Forbidden Eye

It reminds me what Iger said when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Bob Iger said:
We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise because of the encumbrances that exist.

Guess he really meant it word for word.

That being said, Lucas wasn't exactly much better with the franchise. He once said "I don't care" when asked if he was developing Indiana Jones 5 before Disney bought it. And of course, we all remember how needlessly long we waiting for Indiana Jones 4.

I guess when you take away our emotional attachment to the series as fans and look at it as just a business, it makes sense to focus nearly all of your time on a franchise where its installments make a billion dollar just by merely slapping a logo on it.

seasider

I believe the encumbrances Iger was referring to was Paramount which still had distribution rights to the franchise at the time. Disney and Paramount reached a deal a year later allowing Disney distribution rights for future films.

The fact that we still have an official release date and not a "delayed indefinitely" status for the film gives us some hope that they're still committed to making the movie...for now. It would be nice to get a statement from Spielberg or Kathleen Kennedy to clarify the status on Indy 5 and maybe even a reason behind the delay.

Willie Hott

Lambonius said:
I feel like this all but confirms that if Indy 5 actually happens, it's going to include Ford bookends with a younger actor as the headliner playing a prequel Indy. That honestly seems like best case scenario. ~80-year old Harrison as Indy just isn't viable.

Captain America Civil War.. The one scene that makes me think of Indy 5 is the flashback CGI of Tony Stark as a college student. It looked better than any other movie that had tried it (Tron: Legacy for example). Considering that's actually old technology that was able to pull that off at this point, imagine how great it could look in 2019.

When they announced July 19th, 2019 for Indy 5, this was almost the first thought that I had. I know Frank Marshall later said the story would follow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, shooting this theory down (unless its a movie filled with flashbacks), but now it seems even more likely.

Why couldn't Harrison be playing a younger Indiana Jones by then? It makes we wonder if this has been the plan all along.

11YearsLater

What's with all this negativity? This new announcement confirms they are still completely committed to making this movie with Spielberg and Ford on board. Had they had any doubts about making Indy 5 with Spielberg + Ford, they simply would not have announced anything about it.

Willie Hott said:
I know Frank Marshall later said the story would follow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, shooting this theory down
It's not necessarily shooting your theory down. I have been predicting for a long time that Indy 5 would both act as the end to the Indy series with Ford, and as the first movie of a new Indy series with a new actor. 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie taking place a decade after Crstal Skull featuring Ford, and 2/3 or 1/2 of it taking place a few years before Doom featuring a younger actor as Indy.

What if they want to wait with a completely new Indy series, and want Ford to play both the old AND the young Indiana in Indy 5? The de-aging technology as seen in Captain America 3 is already near perfect, Scorese will use it for his next movie to de-age DeNiro and Pacino. I am now convinced that this is exactly what Spielberg and his team are planning to do.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

There's negativity because the news is negative. Pushing back the release date of a movie that's more sensitive to delays than most is not a sign of commitment.

Willie Hott

11YearsLater said:
What's with all this negativity? This new announcement confirms they are still completely committed to making this movie with Spielberg and Ford on board. Had they had any doubts about making Indy 5 with Spielberg + Ford, they simply would not have announced anything about it.

It's not necessarily shooting your theory down. I have been predicting for a long time that Indy 5 would both act as the end to the Indy series with Ford, and as the first movie of a new Indy series with a new actor. 1/3 or 1/2 of the movie taking place a decade after Crstal Skull featuring Ford, and 2/3 or 1/2 of it taking place a few years before Doom featuring a younger actor as Indy.

What if they want to wait with a completely new Indy series, and want Ford to play both the old AND the young Indiana in Indy 5? The de-aging technology as seen in Captain America 3 is already near perfect, Scorese will use it for his next movie to de-age DeNiro and Pacino. I am now convinced that this is exactly what Spielberg and his team are planning to do.
Boy, I hope we're right. It would be a dream come true to see Harrison playing Indiana Jones in his 20's or 30's again.

Come on, Indy fans.. Get those chins up. This could turn out even better than expected. Is it annoying that they pushed it a whole extra year? Of course it's frustrating. But they are still committed to it and wouldn't have announced it in the first place. I'm hoping for one of the best Indy movies we've ever seen. Technology can bring us an Indy film that we've never even dreamed of before!

Pale Horse

Staff member
It reminds me what Iger said when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Bob Iger said:
We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise because of the encumbrances that exist.

Guess he really meant it word for word.

"It's not show friends, it's show business."

They're not building an Indiana Jonesland on either coast now, are they?

I put a plate of crow on the page in another closed thread a while ago. I just may have to put it in the fridge. Like a good moderator friend of mine was more wise to illuminate.

IndyBuff

An additional three years is a long time to wait for anything. It's not a few months we're talking about but now three years with a cast and crew that are well into their 60's and 70's. Time is critical here.

Wilhelm

Next thing they will announce a new writer to improve the David Koepp script (Kasdan, Nathanson, Zaillian) specially the characterizations and dialogue although the basic structure will remain the same.

About the de-aging Ford: Indiana could be the Dean of the University in the 60s, totally retired from any adventure but the movie needs to begin with an action teaser to maintain the tradition. They could use the Young CGI Ford only for the prologue (Like in Last Crusade) and then the Old Ford for the rest of the movie.

micsteam

This is about Spielberg's availability, I think everybody else involved would be ready to go but it's about the original formula or as close as Disney can get to it and that's why we are waiting until '20. MHO :hat:

Dr.Sartorius

micsteam said:
This is about Spielberg's availability, I think everybody else involved would be ready to go but it's about the original formula or as close as Disney can get to it and that's why we are waiting until '20. MHO :hat:

Yeah..Can't wait for his Pentagon Papers movie. Zzzzzzzzz....Glad he's prioritizing Indy 5. :rolleyes:

Z dweller

O wise one... two mods with one stone

Pale Horse said:
I put a plate of crow on the page in another closed thread a while ago. I just may have to put it in the fridge. Like a good moderator friend of mine was more wise to illuminate.
I remember that post vividly, and I've been waiting for you to mention it.

But instead of putting the crow in the fridge you should bury it in sand, like the Hákarl shark they make in Finland.

Or is it Iceland?
Whatever, they're all the same to me. :p

Pale Horse

Staff member
micsteam said:

It's like a best friends wedding pledge, if we're not married by the time we're eighty....let's make another movie.

Lambonius

Wilhelm said:
They could use the Young CGI Ford only for the prologue (Like in Last Crusade) and then the Old Ford for the rest of the movie.

They'd need a good voice actor, because Old Harrison sounds nothing like Young Harrison. No one would buy it. Not to mention the fact that any CGI de-aged Harrison would instantly be the talk of the internet, and likely not for the better. People get creeped out at that stuff.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
They'd need a good voice actor, because Old Harrison sounds nothing like Young Harrison. No one would buy it. Not to mention the fact that any CGI de-aged Harrison would instantly be the talk of the internet, and likely not for the better. People get creeped out at that stuff.

It worked in Red Dragon. I thought Hopkins looked a lot younger, naturally so, than he did in Hannibal, which took place nearly 20 years later and was released just a year before:
hannibal-2001-anthony-hopkins-bkp614.jpg

red_dragon_01_stor.jpg

And Harrison's face outside of wrinkles and grey hair hasn't changed all THAT much since LC. You'd just need to dewrinkle him and lighten his hair and set it around 1939, 1940.

As long as it's not a full CG job like they did with Tarkin in RI it should be okay.

Lambonius

Raiders112390 said:
And Harrison's face outside of wrinkles and grey hair hasn't changed all THAT much since LC. You'd just need to dewrinkle him and lighten his hair and set it around 1939, 1940.

Uh...I think you need to have another look. He looks very different. Also, it's not so much the look that's the issue, it's that he frankly sounds like a growly old man now. His current voice can't pass for his 30-years-younger self.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
Uh...I think you need to have another look. He looks very different. Also, it's not so much the look that's the issue, it's that he frankly sounds like a growly old man now. His current voice can't pass for his 30-years-younger self.

I think it could work. It'd just need a lot of movie magic to work. Not perhaps the voice bit but I'd buy it. I mean, I buy 2 years passing between Raiders and LC when he aged quite a bit between 80 and 88. I obviously don't think they could make him pass for 20...But I think they could with makeup and some CGI make him look like he was in his 40s.

It's just...Harrison has a very distinctive look, and while he's wooden, his brand of wooden acting is his own. The only actor who came close to getting Indy down besides him was River and there's really not many young actors who are not only that talented, but also look like a young Harrison. I know a new actor is inevitable, but I want to postpone it for as long as reasonably possible.

But I guess we should be happy with whatever we get. The window for a believable Harrison helmed Indy film closed in the early 2000s. In 2002, he could've easily played Indy just a few years older than LC and been believable, and had a good number of plausible action scenes to boot.

TL;DR Blame Lucas.

Willie Hott

Raiders112390 said:
I think it could work. It'd just need a lot of movie magic to work. Not perhaps the voice bit but I'd buy it. I mean, I buy 2 years passing between Raiders and LC when he aged quite a bit between 80 and 88. I obviously don't think they could make him pass for 20...But I think they could with makeup and some CGI make him look like he was in his 40s.

It's just...Harrison has a very distinctive look, and while he's wooden, his brand of wooden acting is his own. The only actor who came close to getting Indy down besides him was River and there's really not many young actors who are not only that talented, but also look like a young Harrison. I know a new actor is inevitable, but I want to postpone it for as long as reasonably possible.

But I guess we should be happy with whatever we get. The window for a believable Harrison helmed Indy film closed in the early 2000s. In 2002, he could've easily played Indy just a few years older than LC and been believable, and had a good number of plausible action scenes to boot.

TL;DR Blame Lucas.
Have you seen "Age of Adaline"? Anthony Ingruber pulled off a young Harrison even better than River Phoenix. For me, it's not even close. I so badly wanted Ingruber to be chosen for the new Han Solo movies, and in turn, maybe be casted as a young Indy. But Frank Marshall has said they will never re-cast Indiana Jones. Maybe that changes.. Who knows. If it doesn't change.. Maybe re-casting Mutt Williams is in the cards. Ingruber has to be the pick. Indy 5 could also potentially be where Indy passes the fedora to his son, and they could do spin off movies about The Adventures of Mutt Williams.

Check out Age of Adaline simply for the flashback scenes with Anthony Ingruber. He nails Harrison Ford impeccably well.

I personnaly think that if Harrison Ford had the lead cast, he should really assume his age. He could be an awesome Indy with the beard he wore last year. An Indy closer to the character of Johnny Depp in the The Ninth Gate (though Johnny was as young as Harrison in Indy 1), I mean maybe he doesn't have to run, jump or drive a plane (well for this last point he almost can do it?)
About Anthony Ingruber, let's forget him, let him start his own carreer. I think this comparaison with Harrison Ford could really be a heavy weight by the time. And personnaly, I don't think that he's so amazing in Adaline? He's just OK for a few minutes of a memory.