What do you dislike about Indy 4?

kongisking

StwongBwidge said:
Kongisking - did you read a different post?? What an earth are you going on about??

I took the word 'Creation' as implying a belief in God, since it had a capital C and sounded sorta like a post suggesting that Creation referred also to the origin of aliens. I just REALLY had to get that out of my system. Seriously, living in a Christian extremist house can reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally grind on an atheist's sanity (don't get any ideas, all you smart-alecs! :D :rolleyes: ). I originally hoped to post my reply in a totally different thread in the 'Open Discussion' section, but, alas, I knew that if I did that Finn would lock it up.

Sigh...it's funny how humans are so cowardly when it comes to discussing topic such as the validity of a God, and yet pleasure themselves in beating down topics like Scientology, Evolution and Darwinism and calling those theories false...Pathetic.

Finn

Staff member
Just a reminder - absolutely nothing prevents me from locking up this thread either.

Back on topic, fellas.

tocksic

snake_surprise said:
I have yet to wade through the previous couple pages, but did I miss something?

Has it been confirmed that Indy is a Pagan Scientologist?

:rolleyes:

Yes. But he considers to return to his Amish roots.

kongisking said:
I took the word 'Creation' as implying a belief in God, since it had a capital C and sounded sorta like a post suggesting that Creation referred also to the origin of aliens. I just REALLY had to get that out of my system. Seriously, living in a Christian extremist house can reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally grind on an atheist's sanity (don't get any ideas, all you smart-alecs! :D :rolleyes: ). I originally hoped to post my reply in a totally different thread in the 'Open Discussion' section, but, alas, I knew that if I did that Finn would lock it up.

Sigh...it's funny how humans are so cowardly when it comes to discussing topic such as the validity of a God, and yet pleasure themselves in beating down topics like Scientology, Evolution and Darwinism and calling those theories false...Pathetic.

Its not a question of cowardice, just relevance. Your rant was totally out of place and aimed at a bizarre and unjustified target. But there you go.

Back on topic, I wholly agree that the "ancient astronaut" is an interesting area for films/books to focus on - especially in the broader sense, if we take it to include all notions of ancient lost civilizations and not solely the alien-intervention line.

My belief is however that there's no need to take Indy 4 down this route. So many other franchises have touched on these issues that it will inevitably appear somewhat derivative no matter how great the take on it is in Indy 4.

There were plenty more avenues to explore with the character and franchise that the Indyverse could have left this area well alone and been better served by doing so.

Atlantis, fine, if they must. But not an Atlantis-a-like with ancient alient astronauts, please.

And even with Atlantis, why not come up with something more original? Why not the old Garden of Eden idea, Origins of Man scenario? Religio-archeology still has plenty of options left for Indy 4 that the current indications of the direction of the movie (most clearly shown by the Saucermen script, which tradition tells us will form the basis of the movie in key areas) leave me a little pessimistic.

Legendary Times

Finn said:
Just a reminder - absolutely nothing prevents me from locking up this thread either. Back on topic, fellas.

Finn: Please allow me the courtesy to briefly defend myself. Out of respect for this thread, I will attempt to be brief in my defense. But with all due respect, I cannot just sit here silently over some of these unsubstantiated allegations. Further down below, I have a thread-relevant observation. Thank you for being cool, Finn.

StwongBwidge said:
Kongisking - did you read a different post? What an earth are you going on about? […] It’s not a question of cowardice, just relevance. Your rant was totally out of place and aimed at a bizarre and unjustified target.

StwongBwidge: Thank you for backing me up on this one. It is much appreciated.

kongisking said:
[Do] you believe in the idea that a single, all-intelligent and loving being created the known Universe, and that mankind [originated from just] two people on this Earth? […] You believe in a singular deity who claims to be the ultimate in intelligence, love, reason, wisdom, power, dominance, all these things? […] You believe in someone who can hear all our prays, and yet ignores nearly every single one?

kongisking: Uhm, no. Quite on the contrary, actually. But like others who have followed this thread, I’m a bit mystified how you could have drawn such an utterly false conclusion. None of my posts refer to God, nor do I address the question of God. In fact, a rational discussion about the CLASSIC Ancient Astronaut Theory does not require any “belief” at all. The God question is irrelevant because whether or not extraterrestrials have visited Earth in the remote past, does not negate, nor does it propose (!), the existence of God. However, your feeling compelled to invoke God in this thread is because your family has gotten into your head, and I am deeply sorry that this has happened to you. Plus, just so we’re clear, the idea of a personal God, in my opinion, is absurd. But that’s an entirely different discussion. Please PM me if you want to exchange ideas.

ResidentAlien said:
[The Ancient Astronaut Theory] doesn't even hold up to the scientific method or any amount of scrutiny. […] As in the case of the video […] [r]ather than subscribing to the concepts of Occam's Razor, the simplest solution that raises the least questions in its wake, [is the correct one.] […] I for one dreamed of being an archaeologist as a kid. I did so because of my love for Indiana Jones. […] I subscribed to Archeology Magazine, read books, watched documentaries and kept my romantic ideals for the silver screen. Gave up the dream of archeology a long while back too.

ResidentAlien: I went ahead and read a few dozen of your posts and I’ve noticed that I’m not the only one whom you’ve bitterly attempted to put down. I will not follow suit by trying to insult you and/or making unsubstantiated claims as you have about me. Life is too short to continually put others down just because you yourself are not where you envisioned yourself to be when you were a little kid.

As for Occam’s Razor (OR): Concerning the Classic Ancient Astronaut Theory, OR is always the last resort for skeptics. It’s pretty much the only thing they’ve got left at this point. OR not only sounds fancy but they also think that it makes them sound intelligent – while everyone else is stupid and moronic.

But what bothers me the most is that when OR is invoked in discussions such as this one, in 99.9% of the cases, OR is falsely used AND applied. ResidentAlien is a perfect example of improperly invoking OR. The definition of OR is: “Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitem - entities must not be multiplied beyond what is necessary.” Correctly translated into laymen’s terms, this means that OR states that the simplest sufficient (!!!) - that is, complete or coherent - model is the one that is presumed correct.

The most ignored word in this entire OR debate is ‘SUFFICIENT.’ No one addresses the fact that many, many answers given by mainstream science are not sufficient. Anyone who claims that every single answer that has been given to us by mainstream science has been (or is) correct, I’m sorry, is living under a rock.

Also, the Franciscan friar William Ockham (approx. 1288-1347) provided the basics for OR almost one thousand years ago (I say “provided the basics for” because Ockham did not invent the eventual principle bearing his name). Do you honestly propose that an idea that was conceived almost one thousand years ago, at a time when their frame of reference was staggeringly different than ours of today, OR can be applied to everything that is of interest to us today? If you really think that (which you apparently do), then I cannot help you. In fact, no one can.

Case in point: contrary to popular belief, OR is not an axiom of physics. OR can be wrong too, you know. Imagine applying OR when mainstream science and doctrine ”irrefutably” DICTATED that the Earth was flat. Today, we laugh at this notion, but today’s mainstream suffers the exact same Earth-is-flat-syndrome in regards to the Ancient Astronaut Theory – and many other theories. It always tickles me how deliciously arrogant some people (and especially “scientists”) can be when a perfectly valid and interesting theory happens to come along that challenges “established” doctrine. It’s human nature to resist new ideas and theories challenging “accepted fact” – such as when the world was flat and/or nothing could man-made could ever fly, etc. It always has been, and it always will be like this.

Another irrefutable fact is that OR spectacularly fails in Quantum Physics. Does that mean that the mind-bending phenomena occurring in Quantum Physics do not exist? According to the reasoning you’re presenting, AlienResident, they do not. However, I think we’d all have to agree that: You. Are. Wrong.

The principle of parsimony – another term for OR - in truth, is only an assumption. It does not constitute a logically coherent, ultimate proof of the notion that simpler models are actually more likely to be true. It simply is not always the case.

This is why it is so dangerous to become an ideologue, especially when committing yourself completely to one particular theory, such as, in this case, OR. With such blinders on, it is no wonder that the great majority of mankind is not prepared for (or recognizes) contradictory, but correct, information when it comes along. As a people, it is high time for us to be more open-minded and more accepting (!) in regards of other valid possibilities. Being closed-off to new (and in many ways revolutionary) ideas is an extremely arrogant (and thus fatalistic) attitude that ultimately might be our society’s downfall.

Back on topic: What do I dislike about Indy 4? Still absolutely nothing. As others have observed before, I too am stunned at the negative sentiment on this AND on the popular “New KotCS picture” thread. However, I think what no one has mentioned or taken into consideration is the fact that when the first three movies were made and came out, the Internet did not yet exist (in the mainstream)! So, what did we do back then? At best (!) we learned that the finished movie would hit theaters by a certain date. Some (like me) subscribed to movie magazines and maybe, maybe one would read that a movie was about to be made, was in production or post-production. But that was pretty much it!

Today, we have the friggin’ Internet. …and, in my humble opinion, while the Internet has revolutionized who we are as a society, it sort of has also ruined the whole movie-going experience. Now every yahoo thinks of himself that they are better directors, better moviemakers, better scriptwriters, etc. - than the moviemakers in Hollywood with an actual moviemaking job. 20 years ago, were we able to rant as negatively as we do today? Belittling directors and screenwriters? No. On the contrary. We were all giddy when the first news came out about which movies were “Coming Soon to a Theater Near You.”

But I can GUARANTEE you this: had the Internet existed back in 1984 and 1989, the rants would probably have been even more negative than they are today! “Shankara Stones??? What the heck is that? You’ve got to be kiddin’ me! This movie will suck!” “Indy’s looking for the Holy Grail? How frickin’ lame! Oh I guess they were looking for something similar to the Ark.” Blah blah blah…

Let me ask: Whom would you have wanted to direct Indy 4? Yourself? Have you ever directed a major motion picture before? No? Oh, okay. Just checking. Whose screenplay should they have used? Yours? What do you mean you don’t have a script? Oh, you’ve never written a screenplay? Oh, okay.

I for one, with many others, am eternally thankful and thrilled beyond belief that the “Holy Trifecta” (Lucas, Spielberg and Ford) decided to give it a go one more time. I can’t wait!

Giorgio Tsoukalos

Last edited:

BadDates

I've just been looking at Legendary Times's remarkable website. Truly unique!

Back on topic...

Legendary Times said:
I for one, with many others, am eternally thankful and thrilled beyond belief that the “Holy Trifecta” (Lucas, Spielberg and Ford) decided to give it a go one more time. I can’t wait!

My thoughts exactly! :D

Last edited:

Legendary Times

BadDates said:
[...] My thoughts exactly! :D

I couldn't have said it any better and thank you for your kind words. Unless it is acceptable, you might have to remove the link to my personal homepage, because this might be considered self-promotion, which is against the rules of this Forum... Unless it is acceptable of course. I'm not sure.

Niteshade007

This argument goes round and round. Anyone who has ANYTHING negative to say about Indy IV or the "holy trifecta" as you refer to them, is immediately criticized. Why is their opinion any less than yours? They've made bombs before, and it quite possible that they'll do it again.

Legendary Times said:
Now every yahoo thinks of himself that they are better directors, better moviemakers, better scriptwriters, etc. - than the moviemakers in Hollywood with an actual moviemaking job

And yet talentless people like Joel Schumacher and Madonna still find work in Hollywood. They are, technically, movie makers, and yet they aren't very good. In fact, I can think of couple people I know in my life that can act circles around Madonna or film a far more beautiful and compelling picture than Schumacher. So why shouldn't I be able to have a negative opinion? Because it disagrees with yours? Because I am not in Hollywood right this very second?

And yes, I'm sure that people in the 80's just blindly accepted everything that they read about in fan magazines or saw in a trailer. I'm sure no one thought "Hey, you know, that movie looks kind of dumb." Because, after all, the internet wasn't around, so therefore they couldn't feel that way. I cannot even begin to understand your argument there, as it makes no sense. You seem to blame the internet for negative feelings towards films. While it makes people's opinions more accessible, it doesn't mean that people are necessarily more negative.

And again at the end, you revert back to the argument you made at the beginning, that people must be in "the business" in order to criticize a film or look at a film negatively. You have to have directed a major motion picture? What is that? So, because you think the movie will be great, you don't need any credentials to feel that way? I don't see you telling those that worship that "holy trifecta" that they need to have written a screenplay in order to have an opinion on this film. It's only those who disagree with your opinion.

To quote one Giorgio Tsoukalos:

"The only way the Ancient Astronaut Theory can be disproven is when the extraterrestrials show up and say, 'We were never here in the past.' Good one, huh?"

You, sir, have committed the grievous fallacy of Argumentum ad ignorantiam. To assume that something is all true just because it hasn't been discredited. It's poor reasoning and perfectly exhibits why it's dangerous to be a crazed ideologue.

"This is why it is so dangerous to become an ideologue, especially when committing yourself completely to one particular theory."

The irony runs deep.

Legendary Times

Niteshade007: I agree with some of your observations (especially the Schumacher and Madonna thing) :hat: but the negative sentiment today is so rampant that I think it's gone a bit overboard, that's all. All I'm saying is that if the Internet would have existed in the 70s and 80s the exact same thing would have happened, even more so, because of such a "dubious" plotline such as, for example, the Sankara Stones. Btw, ToD is my favorite... (y) ...so far :p

ResidentAlien: ...just look at the avatar you've chosen for yourself... very fitting. Says it all. :whip:

Last edited by a moderator:
Legendary Times said:
Are you really trying to shut this thread down? I, for one, am done with you.

Of course you are. Unable to refute my claims, you resorted to attacking me directly. Unable to refute the direct attack, you step out. Your "argument" doesn't hold water so you run. Tsk tsk.

BadDates

It's worth having a look through the usenet archives at what people were saying about the original films back in the 80s. It's quite entertaining to see "NON-SPOILER" threads referring to ToD/LC :)

Sample quote from a May 1984 ToD thread: " I'm not quite as satisfied with IJATOD as I was with ROTLA because some of the sequences are just a bit too outrageous and required too much suspension of disbelief."

Last edited:

JD2008

jd2008

1) The alien element would seem to be challenging to fit in nicely with this movie. The Shankara stones, Ark, and Grail involve religion; alien crystal skulls is scientific speculatation. So because aliens are not a part of the paranormal, the movie should already have a different feel. (Really, the scientific plausibility of alien existence, somewhat detracts the depth of the mystery. This sense of mystery is an essential ingredient to the previous Indy movies)

2) I hope the film does not focus on Shia too much. This might be the case, as the plan may be to continue the franchise with him.

3) Plainly stated, this Indy is being made in an era where movies really suck. Everything feels B-rated. Fancy special effects, CGI, and rising stars are used to pull in a generation of movie 'addicts'. This fact, may make the creative process very difficult for the filmakers and actors.

With all this, I must say that because two great minds put so much time and effort into the making of the film, I am confident it will still be a good Indy movie (who knows, maybe the best one).

JD2008

1) The alien element would seem to be challenging to fit in nicely with this movie. The Shankara stones, Ark, and Grail involve religion; alien crystal skulls is actually scientific speculatation. So because aliens are not a part of the paranormal, the movie should already have a different feel. (Really, the scientific plausibility of alien existence, somewhat detracts the depth of the mystery. This sense of mystery is an essential ingredient to the previous Indy movies)

2) I hope the film does not focus on Shia too much. This might be the case, as the plan may be to continue the franchise with him.

3) Plainly stated, this Indy is being made in an era where movies really suck. Everything feels B-rated. Fancy special effects, CGI, and rising stars are used to pull in a generation of movie 'addicts'. This fact, may make the creative process very difficult for the filmakers and actors.

With all this, I must say that because two great minds put so much time and effort into the making of the film, I am confident it will still be a good Indy movie (who knows, maybe the best one).

Last edited:

AHegele

I have one main gripe that won't change, the rest of my concerns could change obviously when its released.

MAIN GRIPE:
- The lack of world travel. New Haven, New Mexico, Mexico City and Hawaii are the only locations. This is the only Indy film that doesn't really go anywhere outside of North America to shoot. This really frustrates me since i've always loved Indy being a world traveler and always envisioned the shoots to be just as exotic, not a studio in L.A.

CONCERNS:
- Crystal skull. ok, so we know that the ark is involved and that a crystal skull is involved. but it kind of jumps around as to what exactly the Rrussians are after. the mcggufen based on our assumptions doesn't seem very tangible in the hands of the writer and almost feels like something thrown together to get the movie made. It is not as daring as the ark or the holy grail. its a mixture of things that might be too weak for indy's last adventure.

- The aliens. I really am a bit luke warm about this now. It could be disastrous, I wouldn't want the power the ark had or the holy grail had to be diffused knowing that they might have had something to do with aliens as opposed to God. Tackling religious icons have always been the most interesting aspect in Indy's journey for me. I am generally interested in what he was going after in the first and third. I really don't care too much for crystal skulls nor do i care much about aliens. Though I must admit, I was more hesitant before Lucas stated it was in responce to the serials of the 50's and the nuclear scare, which all had a lot to do with fictional aliens. I think it would be quite clever of Spielberg if this is the first supernatural element that is explored in an Indy film that actually doesn't get resolved with an answer.

- Shia. I don't mind him, I want him to be developed, but damn it, this is Indy's show!

- Marion. I'm thrilled to have her back. Thrilled. I just hope she grows as a character and is explored, not just an appendage to remind the audience of the first film.

Bullwhip

AHegele said:
MAIN GRIPE:
- The lack of world travel. New Haven, New Mexico, Mexico City and Hawaii are the only locations.

You missed South America (what Hawaii is supposed to be, I think).