TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #626
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
Comedian Garry Shandling has died at age 66



http://abc7.com/entertainment/comedi...ge-66/1261172/
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #627
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Zahad Hadid.

Genius architect and an inspiration.

She, along with Rem Koolhaus and Norman Foster, formed my personal triumvirate of great architects.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #628
Sea Monarch
IndyFan
 
Sea Monarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Comedian Garry Shandling has died at age 66



http://abc7.com/entertainment/comedi...ge-66/1261172/


Yeah, another beloved comedian to be missed. Though, I hadn't seen much of his comedy, I know my Dad was a big fan. What I did catch of him made me think he was one of the commedians with a rarified wit.

It's funny to me to think, but he was so convincing as the smarmy politician, harranging Tony Stark in the Iron Man movies, that it almost made want to not like him in real life, thinking he's a jerk! When most accounts of seeing him on interviews, etc reveals, he was probably a warm hearted guy. Too bad, he's gone. Thought it was especially funny when, in Winter Soldier, Marvel revealed his character as a Hydra Agent, which seemed a believable story arc for him. Wondered how they might implement him in later cameos. Now, we won't know. Godspeed
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #629
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,852
He finally got caught...



"It's a trap!"

The voice of Admiral Ackbar and Bib Fortuna
Erik Bauersfeld has died at age 93

http://www.slashfilm.com/voice-of-admiral-ackbar-dead/
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #630
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,719
Prince, the artist formally known as alive is dead...

So is former WWE wrestler Chyna
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #631
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 828
Bons director Guy Hamilton at 93.

He did goldfinger, diamonds are forever, live and let die and also golden gun. I didn't realise he also did the classic war movie The Colditz Story too as well as The Inspector Calls amongst many others.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #632
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Wow - this one stings - His Purpleness. RIP Prince
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #633
Goonie
IndyFan
 
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,066
Vice presented it bluntly: Dear 2016<-links not working properly due to censoring on this site. Just Google "Vice Dear 2016"

What a lousy year for celebrity deaths.

RIP Prince.

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #634
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Death is always a tragic thing. I don't want to sound cold-hearted. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Prince. But it drives me insane when these music artists die and people all the sudden mourn like they were the greatest musician ever and make up stories about how important the artist's songs were to their life. Prince's music was terrible!
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #635
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Bons director Guy Hamilton at 93.

He did goldfinger, diamonds are forever, live and let die and also golden gun. I didn't realise he also did the classic war movie The Colditz Story too as well as The Inspector Calls amongst many others.

He also directed Force 10 from Navarone with a pre-Indy Harrison Ford - an underrated film.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #636
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Death is always a tragic thing. I don't want to sound cold-hearted. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Prince. But it drives me insane when these music artists die and people all the sudden mourn like they were the greatest musician ever and make up stories about how important the artist's songs were to their life. Prince's music was terrible!

I think our only acceptable option, at these and other times, is to assume that people know themselves and their lives when they say an artist or any other individual was important to them.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #637
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Prince's music was terrible!


Really?!?!? It was? Now you can be a tone deaf Kenny Chesney loving redneck dingo loving goat humper and NOT LIKE one of pop music's greatest artists. Who wrote, composed, and played every instrument but you CANNOT say his music was terrible. That is just a TROLL call. I hate led Zeppelin with a passion but they made great music and were masters of their craft. To me, it is painful to listen too.

So go listen to some Tim McGraw or Blake Shelton, as I assume you are a fan of.

RIP purple one. Thank you for leaving behind some of the greatest pop music ever!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #638
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Really?!?!? It was? Now you can be a tone deaf Kenny Chesney loving redneck dingo loving goat humper and NOT LIKE one of pop music's greatest artists. Who wrote, composed, and played every instrument but you CANNOT say his music was terrible. That is just a TROLL call. I hate led Zeppelin with a passion but they made great music and were masters of their craft. To me, it is painful to listen too.

So go listen to some Tim McGraw or Blake Shelton, as I assume you are a fan of.

RIP purple one. Thank you for leaving behind some of the greatest pop music ever!

Sorry - his music was terrible. I would rather puncture both eardrums than listen to "1999" and need I remind you of "Batdance"? Chills are running up my spine as I type that. And I seem to recall him singing about incest in one of his songs. If that's your thing, you go on and keep listening.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #639
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Sorry - his music was terrible. I would rather puncture both eardrums than listen to "1999" and need I remind you of "Batdance"? Chills are running up my spine as I type that. And I seem to recall him singing about incest in one of his songs. If that's your thing, you go on and keep listening.

You can't watch Purple Rain and claim there's nothing there. The Artist was electric.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #640
curmudgeon
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
I don't want to sound cold-hearted.

You did. Right when he dies isn't the time to go out of your way to say stuff like that.

If you have enough insight to start a statement with that many disclaimers, you should have had enough insight to realize that now is not the time and that you're only being an ass by finishing the thought.

Last edited by Finn : 04-23-2016 at 02:06 AM. Reason: tag fix
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #641
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Sorry - his music was terrible. I would rather puncture both eardrums than listen to "1999" and need I remind you of "Batdance"? Chills are running up my spine as I type that. And I seem to recall him singing about incest in one of his songs. If that's your thing, you go on and keep listening.

He also wrote about tasty breakfast foods (and that is my thing)

My point is you sound like an idiot when you say his music was terrible. It was not. You can say, "I don't like his music" but to say Prince's music was terrible is juvenile and short sighted. What is wrong with 1999? It is an amazing pop song. Go listen to your Kenny Chesney. Hillbilly
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #642
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
He also wrote about tasty breakfast foods (and that is my thing)

My point is you sound like an idiot when you say his music was terrible. It was not. You can say, "I don't like his music" but to say Prince's music was terrible is juvenile and short sighted. What is wrong with 1999? It is an amazing pop song. Go listen to your Kenny Chesney. Hillbilly

You say anyone who thinks Prince music is terrible is automatically an idiot and must be a Hillbilly?

Who is being "juvenile and short-sighted" here?
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #643
Goonie
IndyFan
 
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
...one of pop music's greatest artists. Who wrote, composed, and played every instrument...

This is why I respected him. And Bowie too.

Meanwhile...

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #644
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
You say anyone who thinks Prince music is terrible is automatically an idiot and must be a Hillbilly?

Who is being "juvenile and short-sighted" here?

I can see reading is new to you so I will slow down a bit. Like when I used to teach, not all kids learn at the same rate.

I have no issue with with anyone not liking anything. That is called an opinion we can all have them and that is fine. But some times people have an opinion which is just wrong. Like "I think the world is flat". "I think KOTCS was a great Indy movie". It is ok to laugh at these people. So when you say, "Prince's music is terrible" you sound like a jack ass. It is fact that Prince flat out rocked. He was one of the world greatest talents. Please enlighten us, the Indy reading public, who does make pleasing music to you? I bet it is Kenny Chesney.

Now, had you had "It is too bad he died so young, but I for one am tone deaf and have no rhythm and think his music was terrible." We would just read and say, hmmm idiot and move on.

Now back to the OP R.I.P. Purple One. I guess the elevator really did break you down!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #645
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I can see reading is new to you so I will slow down a bit. Like when I used to teach, not all kids learn at the same rate.

There you go again! You don't like what someone else posted so you go for the low blow and insult their intelligence. I have made no personal attack on you and will not stoop to that level. I don't know anything about you and you know nothing about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
But some times people have an opinion which is just wrong.

Apparently this is any time that they go against your own opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
It is fact that Prince flat out rocked. He was one of the world greatest talents.

These are opinions, not facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Please enlighten us, the Indy reading public, who does make pleasing music to you? I bet it is Kenny Chesney.

John Williams
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #646
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,719
Duaner, you're fighting a losing battle here. It's admirable to take up the fight and you're not wrong to persist, but the facts aren't on your side. They aren't even close.

You don't have to like Prince or acknowledge him, but to dismiss his SUBSTANTIAL influence in musicianship, composition, fashion, business, performance and creativity only reveals your naivety or heaven forbid, ignorance.

John Williams is a one-trick pony. There's nothing wrong with immersing yourself in him, but it's foolish to compare the two. One is a Professional Composer. The other, a Consumate Unparalleled Artist.

Unparalleled.

You don't have to like the art...but don't dismiss it. As Robin Williams would say as Peter Pan: Bad Form.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:08 AM   #647
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Duaner, you're fighting a losing battle here. It's admirable to take up the fight and you're not wrong to persist, but the facts aren't on your side. They aren't even close.

You don't have to like Prince or acknowledge him, but to dismiss his SUBSTANTIAL influence in musicianship, composition, fashion, business, performance and creativity only reveals your naivety or heaven forbid, ignorance.

John Williams is a one-trick pony. There's nothing wrong with immersing yourself in him, but it's foolish to compare the two. One is a Professional Composer. The other, a Consumate Unparalleled Artist.

Unparalleled.

You don't have to like the art...but don't dismiss it. As Robin Williams would say as Peter Pan: Bad Form.


Boom. Mic drop
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #648
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Duaner, you're fighting a losing battle here. It's admirable to take up the fight and you're not wrong to persist, but the facts aren't on your side. They aren't even close.

You don't have to like Prince or acknowledge him, but to dismiss his SUBSTANTIAL influence in musicianship, composition, fashion, business, performance and creativity only reveals your naivety or heaven forbid, ignorance.

John Williams is a one-trick pony. There's nothing wrong with immersing yourself in him, but it's foolish to compare the two. One is a Professional Composer. The other, a Consumate Unparalleled Artist.

Unparalleled.

You don't have to like the art...but don't dismiss it. As Robin Williams would say as Peter Pan: Bad Form.

I'm going to consider it a win, because I never resorted to the childish insults which the other half chose to do. I like to keep a debate civil and try to treat the other side with respect. I'm not Donald Trump.

But either way, the past couple days, many people have been talking about Prince's death. Almost all of the conversation has led someone to ask the question "are you going to listen to some of his music tonight?" which has commonly been met with that confused (almost sickened) face and a resounding "NO". So yes, he was obviously iconic enough to warrant a mention in the water cooler conversation, but it seems there is still a large contingent who would rather not listen to the smut. But in roundshort's world that means they are all goat-humping Hillbilly idiots that can't read and must listen to Kenny Chesney.

John Williams mentioned only because this is an Indiana Jones message board, not a Prince lover board.

Either way, I am going to reiterate what I said in my very first post mentioning Prince. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It is tragic when someone passes so young.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #649
roundshort
IndyFan
 
roundshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Napa CA
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
I'm going to consider it a win, because I never resorted to the childish insults which the other half chose to do. I like to keep a debate civil and try to treat the other side with respect. I'm not Donald Trump.

But either way, the past couple days, many people have been talking about Prince's death. Almost all of the conversation has led someone to ask the question "are you going to listen to some of his music tonight?" which has commonly been met with that confused (almost sickened) face and a resounding "NO". So yes, he was obviously iconic enough to warrant a mention in the water cooler conversation, but it seems there is still a large contingent who would rather not listen to the smut. But in roundshort's world that means they are all goat-humping Hillbilly idiots that can't read and must listen to Kenny Chesney.

John Williams mentioned only because this is an Indiana Jones message board, not a Prince lover board.

Either way, I am going to reiterate what I said in my very first post mentioning Prince. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It is tragic when someone passes so young.

Oh yeah. That's win. You and Charlie Sheen.... Winning for sure. Well I will just go back to listening to a little Purple music. By looking at all media I am the only one who is listening to his music. . .

Oops. That was sarcasm if one is too dim to understand it (or to trollish)
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #650
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,915
Exclamation Moderator note

Keep your disagreements about the topic at hand, not about each other's personas. We won't lay anybody's handles to rest over minor squabbles, but if things get too out of control, we may have to treat people with some vacation time. Stress can kill, after all.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.