Password

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #101
DarthLowBudget
IndyFan

Did you read his last statement?
DarthLowBudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 AM   #102
Sankara

So, in Darabonts Sript wasn't a Son of Indy? Let's pray that there is no Son in the finally Script. Otherwise: "Indy IV" is doomed...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #103
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I wonder what he means by that John Hurt comment.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #104
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I am getting a little tired of Darabont's whining. We get it, you wrote a script, it didn't get used, let's move on. Seriously, you're a grown ass man, let's start acting like one.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 AM   #105
Avilos
IndyFan

I am a big fan of Darabont's work but he does come off as a whiner. Scripts are rewritten all the time. Especially films of this size get many rewrites. If his ideas are a significant part of the film he should get a credit. But it does not sound like he really knows what is in the film or not. He's just hearing it second hand.

First he was complaining that he wasted a year...and now he is trying to take credit for it....which means he did not waste that year, huh???? I predicted he would do this when he last spoke on this subject!

I think it will be interesting to hear what Spielberg says about Darabont's script. HE is bound to be questioned intensely about that when he give interviews for the fan based press next year. He certainly will not say Darabont's was better than what they shot. I have always maintained that Lucas took the blame for this because he does not seem to care what anyone thinks of him, while Steven certainly does care. If he wanted to direct that version it would have happened and George would have gone along with it.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 AM   #106
misnomer
IndyFan

in all fairness, if id spent a year writing an indiana jones script that spielberg said was better than raiders, only for it to not get used and messed around with, Id be pretty miffed too.

as for the arbitration or whatever, I dont think darabont is actively hoping for a feud...he sounds more along the lines of "agh..here we go"
misnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #107
FordFan
IndyFan

I just hope that this new movie doesn't appear disjointed. "This has gotta be Darabont's foundation, and this has gotta be Koepp's polishing". "Lucas must've insisted upon this", or "So this is what they did to replace Sean Connery". I'm anticipating a seamless movie, where the story really is the best one possible.
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 AM   #108
commontone
IndyFan

I agree with Misnomer...the guy spent a year of his life passionately working on an Indiana Jones script, which he seems to think is as amazing an opportunity as any of us would. Then Lucas vetoes it (apparently with total stubbornness and no good explanation). The press asks him how he feels about that, and he tells them, and his feelings are totally understandable.

He seemed despondent at first, but he's moved on to "professional disappointment." Now he finds out his ideas are being used to a significant degree. In his own mind he's probably like, "Son of a *****, lord knows I don't want to deal with this, but I've gotta do what I've gotta do and try and get some credit for my ideas they pillaged."

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #109
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I understand being upset. I would too. I just don't think that his responses towards it are very mature ones. Yes, they are in the sense that he is calling Lucas a doody-head, but he is STILL complaining about his work not being used. A more professional person would just stick to the last comments that Darabont made about Spielberg making a great movie or whatever it is that he said and not subject us yet again to childish remarks that his work would have been better or that they are stealing his work. If they are, then yes, I feel Darabont should get credit, but as he has not seen the movie nor read the script, at this point he shouldn't have much to complain about.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #110
Sankara

I really like Darabonts movies - but his work on Indiana Jones.. I don't know.
He gave us a lot of VERY bad and lousy Episodes of "Young Indy". I'm very glad that DK is on board.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #111
Eric Solo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
I really like Darabonts movies - but his work on Indiana Jones.. I don't know.
He gave us a lot of VERY bad and lousy Episodes of "Young Indy". I'm very glad that DK is on board.

Weren't all episodes of Young Indy bad and lousy? Even the bit with HF in it was crap.
Eric Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #112
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

I think people are a bit quick to praise Frank Darabont....The Mist doesn't exactly look like its going to change the face of cinema. That said, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were two great films.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #113
StwongBwidge
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
I think people are a bit quick to praise Frank Darabont....The Mist doesn't exactly look like its going to change the face of cinema. That said, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were two great films.

I think you answered yourself there!

Compare and contrast with the facile nature of Koepp's work and you'll see why plenty around here were disappointed when Lucas vetoed the Darabont script and more than a little concerned about the likely ways in which a Nathanson/Koepp effort might have been more pleasing to Lucas...

This is the man who balked at the Henry/Indy/Elsa "love" triangle and wrote such memorably profound dialogue in the star wars prequels after all...
StwongBwidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #114
Finn

Quote:
That said, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were two great films.
One more reason for this constant surly comments from Darabont could be that making films like these has certainly inflated his ego quite a bit.

Along came Lucas, who popped it like a balloon.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #115
bergstrom
IndyFan

Quote:

Please please Stephen King, write one more prison movie so Frank can complete a prison trilogy.

Berg
bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #116
Moedred
Administrator

He "wrote a couple of drafts."
He says "I had crystal skulls in mine, yeah, absolutely."
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47443067990731
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #117
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Now that I did not know. Also I'm very disappointed that he had "Its not the mileage honey, its the years". Awful.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #118
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Yeah, well...
Most interesting video on Indy IV thus far, I think.

I can't believe he actually put it in there, THE line... It's so funny (the fact that he put it in there, the line itself...doubtful). Especially how, in the interview he mentions it with such sweet emphasis, such fervor...

"The line" itself probably ranks at least on the #3 spot of most condemned potential Indy IV dialogue lines and scenes. It comes right after "I'm too old for this ****" and "Indy handing over the torch or ...fedora ...to Mutt".

I can imagine, though, that, if it's put in the context of the film, the conceptually rather cheesy line may turn out to be more poetic than if you read it on talkbacks or message boards. Maybe I'd sit in that theater and ...actually like it.

I remember the Berg and Cruise being on Oprah, promoting MINORITY REPORT and that Spielberg laughingly mentioned how Indy this time should say "It's not the mileage, honey, it's the years..."

As far as the arbitration is concerned:
1. We don't know to what extent Darabont's script has remained in all the Nathanson/Koepp drafts. That's a fact. We don't know.
2. I'd like to hear a perspective of someone who is a member of the WGA or knows the mechanisms of script arbitrations.

I can't really understand all the "he (Darabont)'s so full of himself" arguments on other Indy IV related boards. While I don't share that impression of Darabont it's as if people percieved Hollywood as an industry that is reigned by fairness and justice.

Last edited by torao : 11-15-2007 at 07:26 PM.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #119
Kingsley
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
I can't believe he actually put it in there, THE line... "It's not the mileage, honey, it's the years..."
Well, if Koepp stands true to his words, that line probably didn't made it to the final draft.
Darabonts name could probably appear in the credits in some way... just to let him happy and quiet.
But he is the only one who is speaking now! so let him be a little pissed for a while...
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #120
commontone
IndyFan

I don't think Darabont seems like an arrogant whiner at all. He seems to have accepted what happened, though he was probably quite upset when it did. He seems reasonable.

Still, that line...and the scary thing is, I can totally imagine Spielberg--just from knowing his personality from interviews and everything--laughing at that line, saying, "Yeah, yeah! That's great! We gotta use that." Let's hope he has a voice of personal honesty deep down inside that tells him, "Admit it Stephen, that line is horse****."
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #121
joelwatts
IndyFan

The idea behind the mileage line would work, but not as a re-working of the original line. I could see something that references the original line while not mimicking it.
joelwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #122
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwatts
The idea behind the mileage line would work, but not as a re-working of the original line. I could see something that references the original line while not mimicking it.

It just smacks of fan script.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #123
joelwatts
IndyFan

I agree. It's the kind of thing George Lucas would do...er, did, with the prequels.
joelwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #124
Kernunnos
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwatts
I agree. It's the kind of thing George Lucas would do...er, did, with the prequels.

I have a bad feeling about this...

Only joking. I'm as optimistic as ever.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 AM   #125
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernunnos
I have a bad feeling about this...

Only joking. I'm as optimistic as ever.

haha... well, I'm pretty much against the idea of that line. After hearing him SAY it was in his script, my confidence in George not liking it is a little bit reinforced. lol. Maybe he learned something from the prequels.

I really hope that's not in there. I'm of the mind that there's no way in hell Indy would ever remember saying the other line twenty years or so earlier. Plus it reeks of being overly nostalgic and un-original. Just make up some new awesome lines. All the other ones are so quotable!! If they couldn't come up with original stuff as good as the previous films, my confidence in the film's script is a bit on the decline.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote