The name "Mutt"

katanga

"maybe already discussed"
Indy, was named after a dog?
What about "Mutt" isnt't it from that cartoon with the pilots. I believe the dogs name was "Muttley" (it laughed so funny). In my opinion, this is just another cheap shot from George Lucas or Steven Spielberg at the original fans. Well, at least they made some millions on us, so that GL's Luke Skywalker ranch doesnt end up like Michael Jackson with his NeverLand.

eroc

Cheap shot at the fans? That's ridiculous. It's an ongoing joke in the series. Indiana was the name of Lucas' dog. Short Round was the name of somebody that worked on IJTD, and Mutt was a joke based on his unknown origins, and the fact that his father chose his nickname after the family dog, with the irony being that his son took the nickname of a dog of unknown origins..

katanga

that is what I mean, it was so obvious that they had to ridicule that. I dont't care what names the dogs of the indy crew have. It's like the rule: Tell a joke three times and nobody is going to laugh! The point was, that the overdid it yet again.

eroc

nobody was suppose to laugh. that's why it is called an inside joke. nothing more.

katanga

Well, me being a Indy fan for ages (like you too), find this a cheap shot. The reason is that waiting 19 years for a sequel, you don't expect plots like: Indy has a son that he never has seen or heard about, but the son has accidentaly also got a dogs name, Haha! Inside joke, ok, when you make a >400 Million dollar income in the first two weeks. "Mutt Williams" is proof for me that there won't be upcoming movies with Indys son as the main charachter.

Agent Z

eroc said:
Short Round was the name of somebody that worked on IJTD,

From IMDB:

"The three main characters are named after dogs. Short Round was named after screenwriter Willard Huyck's dog, which was named after the orphan in The Steel Helmet (1951), Willie is named after Steven Spielberg's dog and Indiana is named after George Lucas's dog."

This was taken from, and can be confirmed by, the bonus disc contained in the boxset.

Flash Dixson

katanga said:
that is what I mean, it was so obvious that they had to ridicule that. I dont't care what names the dogs of the indy crew have. It's like the rule: Tell a joke three times and nobody is going to laugh! The point was, that the overdid it yet again.
It's a joke with the people working on the movies, not us, do you not understand? it's not that, hard, its not supposed to be something we laugh at , the charecters need names, so they give them names, the names of there dogs, it's like a comical tradition between people who work on the film, why dose it matter anways? it's just name, why should somebody get offended by them naming a charecter after someones dog.

Flash Dixson

katanga said:
why do you have such a problem with it? it is no were close to a cheapshot.

BlackSleep

katanga said:
"maybe already discussed"
Indy, was named after a dog?
What about "Mutt" isnt't it from that cartoon with the pilots. I believe the dogs name was "Muttley" (it laughed so funny). In my opinion, this is just another cheap shot from George Lucas or Steven Spielberg at the original fans.

Lucas (and possibly Spielberg) have become complacent, and I think that is why we saw so many seemingly lazy shortcuts to producing this new Indy product. Overall it probably works, but could it have been better? You bet. Do they feel the need to go back and re-create the groundbreaking work they did on Raiders, when phoning it in will just as easily result in a blockbuster? Nah. Are they intentionally conspiring to torture once-loyal fans by taking jabs at them through their film projects? Come on. What we're seeing are film veterans who no longer have to create a mammoth film project to get returns on their investment, therefore the motivation to do so just isn't there. Success is often the death of creativity and innovation.

In a nutshell, they don't need to impress you to make money off of you anymore.

Crack that whip

On the contrary, they appear to have made this for fun, and certainly not "making money off you" - with a budget as large as this movie's is reported to have been, it's not actually clear whether they will make much money off it (and even if they do, it's certainly less meaningful to them now, now that they're billionaires anyway). As it is, it very much is a mammoth film project. Try comparing its reported budget to that of any of the original three; even after adjusting for inflation, this looks like the most expensive of the four by far, and for a movie with all the risk inherent in making a new installment in a series whose last movie came out almost two full decades ago, as well as basing an action-adventure movie around a character in his late 50s played by an actor in his mid-60s.

Actually, one might think that making it more cheaply would both force them to find creative solutions to things (perhaps resulting in a better movie), while also lowering the amount of money the movie needs to gross to be profitable. Given that, why did they budget it so high? Hrm... maybe just because they do in fact have that much money to spend these days on making one movie, when they simply couldn't have in the old days...

Crack that whip

I'm sure it will, but I don't think it's going to make so much that it really has much effect on how much money Lucas, Spielberg and Ford already have. I was saying they're already rich; they're not going to get substantially richer from this one movie.

katanga

Flash Dixson said:
why do you have such a problem with it? it is no were close to a cheapshot.

Maybe becaus I don't like the the name. Im not from the US, and must say I havent heard this name before except for "Muttley" in "Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines". I don't find it catchy, just can't imagine a movie title with "Mutt Jones" or "Mutt Williams" in it.

Errex

I see it as something of one-upmanship regarding the names the Joneses like to go by.

Clearly, Henry Jones Sr. was not too thrilled by his son going by the dog's name Indiana. Now, someone that goes by Indiana would probaly look at someone that goes by Mutt with something of condescendence, probably thinking "Gee, kids these days...", so, it might be construed that some fun would derive from the fact that said "Mutt" turned out to be his son.

Not terribly clever nor funny, but that's what it is.

Flash Dixson

katanga said:
Maybe becaus I don't like the the name. Im not from the US, and must say I havent heard this name before except for "Muttley" in "Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines". I don't find it catchy, just can't imagine a movie title with "Mutt Jones" or "Mutt Williams" in it.
Well, it is a great name for a greaser, it's rebellious, a mutt is not a "pure breed" it's a dog of no exctrodinary or beautiful signifigance, and it's the name he chose, his mom named him henry and he did not like so he wants to be called mutt, because it sounds rebellious and cool.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

the name Mutt is horrible bad name!!! (german: dussel,köter,trottel) oww, it is not good. perhaps he does mad little boy, if her mom called after him... or at the high school have given the nickname... I don't know, why does Marion gave the name him?

after the dog's name, perhaps is true...

Stoo

katanga said:
What about "Mutt" isnt't it from that cartoon with the pilots. I believe the dogs name was "Muttley" (it laughed so funny).

Muttley was originally paired with Dick Dastardly in "Wacky Races" (1968):
MeanMachineAni.gif

Dastardly & Muttley in their Flying Machines was the sequel ('69-'71)!

DMlogo.gif

20060926-DastardlyMuttley.jpg

Anyway, "mutt" is the de-facto name for a mixed/unknown dog breed.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Muttley was originally paired with Dick Dastardly in "Wacky Races" (1968):
MeanMachineAni.gif

Dastardly & Muttley in their Flying Machines was the sequel ('69-'71)!

DMlogo.gif

20060926-DastardlyMuttley.jpg

Anyway, "mutt" is the de-facto name for a mixed/unknown dog breed.

LMAO! I have fond memories of watching re-runs of that on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. :)

tupogirl

Muttley reminded my mother of my dad. I personally never saw the resemblance, but she got a kick out of it:).

I love how he laughs.

I used to watch them race in a variety show called 'Shake Rattle and Roll' (I believe).

katanga

tupogirl said:
Muttley reminded my mother of my dad. I personally never saw the resemblance, but she got a kick out of it:).

I love how he laughs.

I used to watch them race in a variety show called 'Shake Rattle and Roll' (I believe).

Wasn't "Shake, Rattle and Roll" also the song that played during the bar figth in KotCS. What a coincidence :)