G.I. Joe

RedeemedChild

object>

Howbeit none of this can compare to the classic G.I. Joe Real American Hero and my personal favorite G.I. Joe Sigma 6.

Hopefully this will pave the way for a better G.I. Joe television series. Personally I'm aghast at the fact that this "Resolute" is rated TV PG-14. I feel that animated programs of this nature should only be rated TV PG or TV PG-V like NBC's Merlin and Star Wars The Clone Wars but not PG-14.

Seriously children are going to want to watch something like G.I. Joe. It's almost as if the makers of this movie G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra are trying to copy-cat Michael Bay's Transformers. These movie makers have no originality and that's a shame.

RedeemedChild

Guys, here is a good link to check out in which a gentlemen does a good analysis of G.I. Joe Resolute and why it is a complete disgrace to the classic G.I. Joe: Real American Hero because it fells to potray the "Joes" as "real American heroes" and instead depicts them as violent rogues.

http://www.fortheretarded.com/?p=465

Lets hope Hasbro can get someone else who can create a better G.I. Joe television series that is less darker, more positive and just plain, clean, action/adventure that the entire family can watch with a good TV PG-V rating as opposed to that guilty TV PG-14 rating. Besides true heroes don't swear and kill innocents.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
It seems not even 7-Eleven can avoid being caught in the nostalgic G.I. Joe experience.

http://www.slurpee.com/Promotions/GI_JOE/

http://www.7-eleven.com/NewsRoom/GIJoeTheRiseOfCobraAdvancesOn7Eleven/tabid/316/Default.aspx

To bad I have not seen any 7-Eleven stores here in the Atlanta area. Hopefully Missisippi will have some seeing as we're heading over to Missisippi next week.
We lack 7-11's here. We have Kwik-Shops. Those cups are pretty cool, though.

roundshort

As a kid who caught GI Joe at the very tail end of my toy/cartoon watching I am not that savy. But, I do have a question, when did GI Joe become based on Ninjas? I thought it was all about Duke and Leatherneck? Man, as I write this I realize how homoerotic GI Joe really was . . .did they put chicks in to "Cover"girl up?

Jorbex

roundshort said:
As a kid who caught GI Joe at the very tail end of my toy/cartoon watching I am not that savy. But, I do have a question, when did GI Joe become based on Ninjas? I thought it was all about Duke and Leatherneck? Man, as I write this I realize how homoerotic GI Joe really was . . .did they put chicks in to "Cover"girl up?
Ninjas were an integral part of the excellent G.I. Joe comic, by Larry Hama. Both Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow are ninjas of the same clan.

RedeemedChild

Jorbex said:
Ninjas were an integral part of the excellent G.I. Joe comic, by Larry Hama. Both Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow are ninjas of the same clan.

I like the fact that G.I. Joe contains Ninja's. In fact along with the show being patriotic and a sure piece of fine Americana entertainment besides encouraging boys to join the American Armed Forces the fact that it included incredible ninjas like Storm Shadow and Snake- Eyes helped to attract young boys like me.

I furthermore am very displeased with Paramount dropping the American Patriotism from the upcoming G.I. Joe movie in favor of raking in money worldwide from people who dislike American morals. That I believe is a betrayal of everything the American Military and the G.I. Joe franchise symbolizes.

Little Indy

roundshort said:

Originally GI Joe (of the 80's) was more aligned to military battles. Snake Eyes' original military specialty was commando. Under his qualifications on his file card he is listed as hand to hand combat instructor as well as being adept at 12 martial arts. However the Snake Eyes (SE) vs Storm Shadow (SS) line didn't arrive until later. About two years after the comic launched. I don't know if this progression was intentional or just a natural occurance of times. SE always popular, needed an arch enemy. What better enemy than your own brother(in all respects but biologically). SS could be that enemy. The juxta position of characters was very poetic. Good guy dressed in black. Bad guy dressed in white. SE adopted in to the ninja clan while SS was born into the family and always tried to proove himslef better than SE. Around this time, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were really popular, Street Fighter video games, and a general interest in martial arts across the nation led to(in my observations) ninjas occupying a greater role in the GI Joe storyline.

As for being homerotic, there is worse. Look at He-Man. But females have played an integral part of the 'Joe team since it's inception. Scarlett is the original female member of the team. And she and SE have a love relationship of sorts. As an aside, the comic has generally pushed the relationship between Scarlett and SE, while the cartoon developed the relationship between Scarlett and Duke. The team has included several females over time all of which were strong contributors, equal to their male teammates. They were respected on the team and provided a positive image for women. Goes to show that even a comic book based on a toy line can be a positive role model.

Le Saboteur

Don't forget the female ninjas, as well.

Jinx--GIJoethemovie.jpg

Or Quick Kick for that matter.

quickkick01-large.jpg

DukeFlint.JPG

Flint sez' this ain't Duke.

Sgt. Slaughter would bust that Duke in the mouth.

joe2.jpg

fixer79

Le Saboteur said:
DukeFlint.JPG

Flint sez' this ain't Duke.

I wasn't happy with Tatum as Duke at first, but I must say I've accepted it over time.

And hey, they have to put in SOMEONE to attract a female audience. Quaid ain't gonna be doing that nomore.

"Heck no, I ain't gonna see your stupid toy soldier movie! What? It's with Tyler from 'Step Up'? I'm SO there."

Worked for 'The Dark Knight'. Girls who couldn't have cared less about Batman went to see it en masse.

Little Indy

Le Saboteur said:
Don't forget the female ninjas, as well.

Jinx--GIJoethemovie.jpg

Or Quick Kick for that matter.

quickkick01-large.jpg

I didn't forget about Jinx. I always liked her. She and Storm Shadow are cousins. Unfortunately Quick Kick is dead my friend:(

Le Saboteur

Little Indy said:
I didn't forget about Jinx. I always liked her. She and Storm Shadow are cousins. Unfortunately Quick Kick is dead my friend:(

And so are something in the neighborhood of 75% of the Joe team. I'd have to pull out my comics to list actual names, but, in what was supposed to be the final issue, all the Joes that died in their version of Gulf War I were laid to rest. Final scene was a two-page splash with their guns n' helmets arranged in one long line.

Little Indy

Yeah several were blown away. It kinda irked me at first because a couple of my favorites were killed off. Then I remembered something that I griped about before regarding the GI Joe universe. No one ever gets killed. Then when it happened I didn't really want it to. :) Oh well. Yo Joe.

Edit: Just did some research. About 16 Joes are KIA.

Last edited:

Jorbex

Le Saboteur said:
And so are something in the neighborhood of 75% of the Joe team. I'd have to pull out my comics to list actual names, but, in what was supposed to be the final issue, all the Joes that died in their version of Gulf War I were laid to rest. Final scene was a two-page splash with their guns n' helmets arranged in one long line.
75% is a little extreme; like Little Indy said, less than twenty Joes died in the mission to Benzheen, and most of the casualties were little-used characters, like 7 out of 8 members of the pretty lame Battle Force 2000. The only one I was really sad to see get killed was Doc. :(

Nurhachi1991

The whole Cobra Commander hood KKK thing is just bull **** I can't believe they change it now he looks like a second hand Darth Vader his hood looked nothing like KKK hoods.

Jorbex

Nurhachi1991 said:
The whole Cobra Commander hood KKK thing is just bull **** I can't believe they change it now he looks like a second hand Darth Vader his hood looked nothing like KKK hoods.
They could always have gone with the shiny facemask & helmet look if the hood was a problem, but they seem to have very little respect for the source material. (n)

RedeemedChild

Jorbex said:
They could always have gone with the shiny facemask & helmet look if the hood was a problem, but they seem to have very little respect for the source material. (n)

But then if they gave him a facemask and helmet would that not have been bit like Doctor Doom?