R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Forbidden Eye

Finn said:
A better known figure (like the Pope, Michael Jackson, Elvis or some world leader or another) might be worthy of its own thread, but every C-class actor isn't, especially with people dying 'round the world every day.

I think its fair to say Steve Jobs in of that ilk.

R.I.P.

The Drifter

Yes, I just posted this in the thread you linked from.
But, maybe it does deserve it's own thread? Not for me to decide.

Montana Smith

Don't think he deserves his own thread. Finn threatened excommunication a while ago for starting RIPs outside of the official one.

And I'm still trying to forget that the pope, Michael Jackson and Elvis ever existed (never liked the music those three put out).

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
And I'm still trying to forget that the pope, Michael Jackson and Elvis ever existed (never liked the music those three put out).

Montana, you are a god among men. I spat my milk out laughing at that one, I did!

Finn

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
I think its fair to say Steve Jobs in of that ilk.
It's a key headline even in this northern hellhole I'm residing... going as far as calling him a "digital culture rock star". So I'd say it certainly fills the criteria. Worth a thread.

Rest In Peace, Steve. You certainly left your mark in this world.

<small>(Still, I don't recommend thinking it's safe to open a RIP thread if you checked a Finnish news agency first. We make bad music.)</small>

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Worth a thread.

You old softy.

"Finn, es-tu diabolique ou divin?"

Finn said:
Rest In Peace, Steve. You certainly left your mark in this world.

He was a genius by many accounts.

In 1986, he acquired the computer graphics division of Lucasfilm Ltd which was spun off as Pixar Animation Studios. He remained CEO and majority shareholder at 50.1 percent until its acquisition by The Walt Disney Company in 2006. Consequently Jobs became Disney's largest individual shareholder at 7 percent and a member of Disney's Board of Directors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
You old softy.
"Finn, es-tu diabolique ou divin?"
He was a genius by many accounts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Indeed. There are 5 men/women still living that get their own thread here when they die, outside the lucasfilm canon. We discuss it in detail and often when we're not here policing the boards. Finn won the death pool with this one, called it to the day. I owe him two smurf dressed Austrailian women, a case of 7.62 FMJ, 4 bottles of potato vodka fermented in the carcass of a dead chicken, and 1 offical egg from the temple of doom. I hear they brozed it.

That being said, R.I.P. Steve, if there is such a thing. We'll never know, you filled the world with sound. Thanks.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
I owe him two smurf dressed Austrailian women, a case of 7.62 FMJ, 4 bottles of potato vodka fermented in the carcass of a dead chicken, and 1 offical egg from the temple of doom. I hear they brozed it.

That's either one hell of an epitaph, or the makings of a newsworthy party in Finland.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Ding!

That's one of the five, old friend.

2 questions...1) ever meet the titular member?
2) How is Fred Shuttlesworth on your radar?

Montana Smith

Joe Brody said:
'fo'?

TEN CHARACTERS

Standing up for civil rights, not for making loadsa money.

However, it's said that Jobs 'enriched' the lives of millions with his gadgets.

Not quite the same though.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
The death of Dennis Ritchie which occured three days later seems to be widely ignored though...

Finn

Staff member
Well, I noticed it. I suppose there are far more people who Apple's products in this world than there are those who know C language (or at least what it is)...

That being said... here's to you too, Dennis. If by chance you run into Steve out there somewhere, make him buy you a beer. He owes it to ya.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Today is, apparently, <a href="http://www.i-programmer.info/news/82-heritage/3260-dennis-ritchie-day.html">Dennis Ritchie Day</a>!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Steve Jobs and the Hero's Journey - George Lucas
Steve Jobs had a vision. He believed in something that no one could see, and he followed that path wherever it led him, against all odds and against all doubters. Along the way he had real hurdles to overcome and real drama. He took his vision and built it into a company, but the people running the company couldn't see it. His own board didn't understand what he was doing. That's when the evil emperor thwarted him, you might say, and threw him into the dungeon.
At NeXT, Steve was in a sort of purgatory. I don't think NeXT was his primary vision, it was just what he could do at the time. He bought Pixar from me around then, too, but I think Pixar was just something that fascinated him, not something that drove him. Eventually the drought and famine and locusts descended upon Apple and they called him back.
That's when his story really became the hero's journey. He returned and reinstituted his vision. People were still confused and amazed and didn't really understand what he wanted to do. But a lot of the doubters were gone, and he created an army, one that was loyal to him, that believed in him. These were the people who actually did the amazing work. Steve was taking people where they had never gone before, and all he could say was 'Trust me.'
That kind of leadership, leadership with a vision that is bigger than any organization or any individual, doesn't happen all the time. But heroes and the stories about heroes center on this, a person with a vision of a different life, of other possibilities, of boldly going where no one has gone before, to quote another franchise.