TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 AM   #51
Moedred
Administrator

Matinee... where'd ya go?

Will I ever find out who the red-haired girl is?

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #52
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Yeah, you're probably right. But, this is a likely reason why they cut Old Indy bookends from the series. If they left this particular segment in, Indyfans would be wanting an explanation in Indy IV.
Give the girl a silver dollar!

Bingo, kiddo. The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV. Remember, at the time the decision was made the Saucermen and Monkey King scripts were the scripts still being considered by Lucas & Co. and some of the events wouldn't match up...come to think of it, some of the events in Frank's wonderful script also would conflict.

That being said, the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon, and should be treated lightly. If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter. Unless of course Frank's script is used afterall.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #53
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I'd like to think that there will be a daughter who in a way kinda pays him bakc for the Marion-Abner incident. It'd be a nice touch, especially if Indy's daughter went out with a tomb robber...
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #54
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H
the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon
So he really was a crazy old man after all. Retelling something he watched on ABC.

Now the Indy franchise has its equivalent of the "Star Wars Holiday Special:" hazy tv recollections Lucas stuffed in the vault. By refusing to add them to the DVD's, he'll just have to discuss them in interviews that much more. Serves him right. Meanwhile, won't some videotape packrat make a date with youtube?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #55
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Yep. Old Indy's truly deluded...
Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #56
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Bingo, kiddo. The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV. Remember, at the time the decision was made the Saucermen and Monkey King scripts were the scripts still being considered by Lucas & Co. and some of the events wouldn't match up...come to think of it, some of the events in Frank's wonderful script also would conflict.

That being said, the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon, and should be treated lightly. If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter. Unless of course Frank's script is used afterall.

Frank's script had a daughter in it???
Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #57
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Frank's script had a daughter in it???
I think I said that.

Yes, he had a daughter. There was a touching scene where Indy first meets her and doesn't know its his daughter. He's at the college and he thinks she is just a cute student. So he flirts a bit with her, and then Marion walks into the scene with the news of who this cute new student really is (which causes Indy to fight a gag reflex).

There was also a treatment of the same script where this scene wasn't in it, rather the revelation of his daughter didn't come until towards the end of the film. Indy reveals that he knew it was her the whole time, but wanted to protect her from the baddies.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #58
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Indy reveals that he knew it was her the whole time
And that's the difference between comedy and drama. It doesn't matter when this treatment hints to the audience she's his daughter, because the audience would have known months in advance. You just can't keep a "Luke-I-am-your-father" secret in the internet age. Movies have to be more self-aware. Not to mention supposedly intelligent movie characters.

In Last Crusade, they moved Henry's appearance from the end to the middle, which seems a good time for Indy to make the big discovery. Or as soon as every possible joke at his expense has been made.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #59
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Wow.... I think it'd be better if her revelation was more in the middle rather than the end. From this, it's sounds like Darabont's script is pretty good. Then again, as long as there's Marion in it and it's after a pretty interesting MacGuffin, I'm happy. Having said that.....

"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"

"I WANT TO READ DARABONT'S SCRIPT!!!"
Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #60
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Hello again guys, sorry for dissapearing there...

I couldn't find her listed in either the opening or closing credits... t'will always be a mystery...
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #61
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

That's strange.....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #62
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
Hello again guys, sorry for dissapearing there...

I couldn't find her listed in either the opening or closing credits... t'will always be a mystery...
I too have done my share of searching and was unable to find out either.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #63
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:

How do you know this? I really like the Old Indy bookends, and was hoping to see them on the DVDs. If this is true, why can't they just write a script to fit the series, rather than the other way around. This sounds similar to the situation with Star Wars, where instead of writing prequels that fit the originals, Lucas re-edited the originals to fit the prequels.

Quote:
I think I said that.

Yes, he had a daughter. There was a touching scene where Indy first meets her and doesn't know its his daughter. He's at the college and he thinks she is just a cute student. So he flirts a bit with her, and then Marion walks into the scene with the news of who this cute new student really is (which causes Indy to fight a gag reflex).

Yep, Lucas definately wrote the story for that script. LOL!

Last edited by Adamwankenobi : 11-19-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #64
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Yep, Lucas definately wrote the story for that script.
Then again, Lucas was the most resistant to the Henry-Elsa tryst. Incest jokes may have been part of why he rejected Darabont's script.

Last edited by Moedred : 11-22-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #65
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah. Agreed. He found it hard to accept the eh, love triangle in LC. Mind you though, that made the film better than what the original Jones Snr being a Yoda-like character could have contributed to the film.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #66
Indyologist
IndyFan

Quote:
Argh, that be from Ireland, 1916... Aye, that it be. My favourite quote in the episode actually comes from his daughter,

"We'll miss the tea and cookie presentation..."

I don't get the joke. What's the context?

By the way, welcome to the Raven, Joe! Watch for the molars in the peanut bowl.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #67
Twilightpro101
IndyFan

I actually like this concept since the door is left open in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and all.
Twilightpro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #68
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
the Garden wasn't on Earth.
It seems they were/are combining Eden from Genesis with New Jerusalem from Revalations, since both have the Tree(s) of Life. I have no problem here. After all the powers assigned to the grail (lifted from the peaches in Monkey King), this would likely require less artistic license.

The big question (other than how to transport Indy and pals to the gate) is which rule to follow: Gen 3:22 "He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever" ...or Rev 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city." Entering or eating could mean spontaneous human combustion... or not. Indy could shove a Russkie through first, who might combust anyway, but then Indy would be no less likely to himself.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #69
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter.
What if she's a 'given' on the official website?
------
Given that Old Indy has a daughter, who do you think is the mother?
3/16/04 - 3/23/04
Marion Ravenwood 55%
Willie Scott 11%
Someone else 34%
Old 12-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #70
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

I rigged that poll.....teheheheheheehhehehe.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 AM   #71
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV.
And the secondary reason: watching a cliffhanger is less thrilling when you know the guy's going to live to be 90.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #72
sarah navarro
IndyFan

Quote:
Don't suppose you have Curse of the Jackal or... something?

Hehe, yes... I'll try my best to capture some...

I've still got Princeton 1916, Ireland 1916, London 1916 and Paris 1916 taped off Channel 9 about... 10 years ago.

* sigh * We'll have to have a big weekend of Indy viewin' Violet!

Here be his daughter, sorry... took a photo of the tele, it ain't great. I also took alittle bit of video, will upload soon!

Note Green Guide and Rebel Without a Cause ontop of the tele

i can tell she got her looks from her father.....
sarah navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #73
Moedred
Administrator

Aaron, Moriarty at AICN says the MacGuffin has been crystal skulls ever since the Darabont script. And Lucas said they "pottered around" for years before going "back to that original MacGuffin" (skulls). Could it be you've been eyeballing parts of the Boam script? Do any of these rumored elements sound familiar: a different rival colleague named 'Professor Conrad', the post-WWII recovery of a Nazi sub, the discovery of some Dead Sea Scrolls, a metatronic (meaning: the power of God appearing to take you away physically) device, and Indy's family?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #74
Indie House
IndyFan

Exclamation

Without reading too much of the previous posts, it sounds like this 'daughter' thing may have some cred... so why isn't it in the spoiler forum?

Indie House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #75
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Aaron H isn't denying the daughter part like he was before. Interesting.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote